Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Post by MCB »

The peas are podding...I repeat...the peas are podding! Also the taters are flowering and the wild onions...are torquer as frig! I picked one of the stems from one of my growbeds (the wild onions came with the house) and took a bite out of it...HOLY MOLY! Talk about clearing the sinuses! [icon_lol2.gif]
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

MCB wrote: Jul 17th, 2022, 7:58 pm The peas are podding...I repeat...the peas are podding! Also the taters are flowering and the wild onions...are torquer as frig! I picked one of the stems from one of my growbeds (the wild onions came with the house) and took a bite out of it...HOLY MOLY! Talk about clearing the sinuses! [icon_lol2.gif]
So happy for you!! It really is a joy to see bounty from a little bit of effort.

When pods get large and not nice in salads anymore, don’t ditch them. Strip off the strings, both sides, blanche and freeze.

In winter, microwaved (covered) and served with butter they are ever so good.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Congrats MCB!

You are so right, Catsumi

I did a 3rd picking of raspberries this morning, for my mom-in-law. First picking was eaten, and used for liqueur (Christmas gifts) and made some freezer jam. Second picking went home with friends. It is a bumper year for raspberries! :biggrin: It makes up for last year's complete loss.

My peas did not do well, they were bitter :( no idea why. Garlic is looking good, though.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Today I will harvest the one cabbage that looks ready. :up:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We are harvesting all the red currents today and removing every second leek to let the others grow bigger.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote: Jul 19th, 2022, 7:52 am Today I will harvest the one cabbage that looks ready. :up:
LEAVE IT !

Water the hell out of it but leave it alone. Cabbage should not be harvested before October.
Bring back the LIKE button.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Various varieties of cabbage come in and are ready for harvest at different times. The open pollinated Early Jersey Wakefield, for example, is ready in as early as 63 days, but most hybrid types reach harvest time from 71 to 88 days. This information should be available when you purchase cabbage for planting.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Cabbage Harvest Time – Information On Harvesting Cabbage https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... abbage.htm
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

:135:

It seems fine - the only one that is. All the others are lagging way behind it.
Cabbage.jpg
I mean, it looks ready, and is firm . . .
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^ I agree with you, LadyT, looks perfect. In the past I have left them a bit too long, they split. Not only that the cabbage moths will have a go at it too. You may want to put those sheer curtains over them to prevent moths laying messy eggs within the leaves.

In afternoon heat, full sun, :sunshine: I picked a big bowl of green beans and, (they like to hide), 2 - 12” long zucchinis. The tom plants have to be tied to stake every time I go there so they’re finally performing after that long, windy, cold wet spring. Now I can see several more small toms can be seen. I sure had my doubts after planting them so early only to have weeks of cold. Carrots are getting large so they’ll be pulled soon, grated and frozen for my winter coleslaws.

Thank you Norma. The poppy seed came in today’s mail so i immediately put it into freezer as i think it’s too late to hope for a plant. It’ll keep until spring. If i remember right I did try the Blue Himalayan poppy seeds years ago and it seems the growing instructions were somewhat complicated. Will do research.

Now, off to tend to sunburn (on me).

Added:

Just looked at Amazing Grey poppy growing instructions, it’s nowhere near as demanding as the Blue. Grey is an ANNUAL, so must wait until spring

People also ask
How do you plant a GREY poppy?

HOW TO GROW Papaver rhoeas

HOW TO GROW Papaver rhoeas
Depth: Surface sow; requires light to germinate.
Sprout Time: 5-14 days.
Starting Indoors: Sow in pots 6-8 weeks BEFORE last frost, cover lightly with vermiculite or a humidity dome and keep at 65-70°F until germination, then at 50-60°F. ...
Starting Outdoors: Recommended
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 19th, 2022, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

eat the cabbage... else they get old and bitter
Cool the seeds arrived, I think calling them Amazing grey the best
women sells outta Surrey
she has lots of exotic seeds
Women is a hardcore pant addict
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Me too. Two. A pant and a plant addict! :biggrin:

Unknown
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote: Jul 19th, 2022, 4:52 pm :135:

It seems fine - the only one that is. All the others are lagging way behind it.

Cabbage.jpg

I mean, it looks ready, and is firm . . .
WOW, that is a beauty!

Do you like sauerkraut?

More importantly, does the rest of your family like it?
I used to make some great kraut.
I don't do it anymore for one person, and I hate the store-bought stuff.
Bring back the LIKE button.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Alan, Illichmann's has some good stuff. I really only like it cold
Not really a cabbage fan, too wormy and the smell of it cooking!
Swear I am the pickest eater this side of a 3 year old

I could go for some beet greens tho
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

alanjh595 wrote: Jul 19th, 2022, 6:32 pm

WOW, that is a beauty!

Do you like sauerkraut?

More importantly, does the rest of your family like it?
I used to make some great kraut.
I don't do it anymore for one person, and I hate the store-bought stuff.
Thanks! :biggrin:

Sauerkraut doesn't like me :/ I swell up like a balloon when I have it, even in small doses. All the salt, maybe? My mom has made it before, I remember the crock fermenting . . . an older German lady was mentoring her through that, years ago. I don't know if she's made any, since. My son and husband like it, and they are okay with store-bought. Thanks for the Illichman's tip, normaM, I will have to get some from there for them to try.

And normaM, the next time I harvest my beets I'll give you a heads-up and you can have some greens. :)

The kohlrabi I planted from seed appears to be doing well, despite the heat. Crazy how the starts bolted and the ones I planted from seed are doing okay :135:

I have harvested some of my garlic, got some good-sized heads! I have a bunch that will be tiny, might leave them another year.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I see in another group people are planting carrots at this time of year. Do they do ok planted this late? I've never done it.

Nice cabbage! Everything is a personal preference, I'd be making coleslaw out of it but that's just me.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Creative Endeavours”