Golf course to industrial Park??

Mark1111
Board Meister

Golf course to industrial Park??

Post by Mark1111 »

Doesn't anyone else question how the city deems a property, clearly a viable, fertile farmable property in the ALR, could be re-designated as an industrial site?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... and#373379
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Golf course to industrial Park??

Post by Bsuds »

If that's true then it would be a damn shame and not something I would agree with!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Jun 30th, 2022, 4:55 pm If that's true then it would be a damn shame and not something I would agree with!
From golf course to arid, heat radiating, truck/traffic generating, blacktop covered, landscape. What a great future is being portrayed here.

Bring back the LIKE button.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Its been zoned industrial forever and its surrounded by industrial land, one less golf course isn't going to matter around here
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I sure hope that the developers know how much it floods there in the springtime.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

What is right next door, Oh that’s right a warehouses and industrial area.

btw wasn’t this land prior to golf course in the ALR, original owner worked damn hard to put in a golf course (is he still alive).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
I_am_a_Liberal
Übergod

Post by I_am_a_Liberal »

Something that I have not seen people bring up is the fact that all these courses that are being shuttered were courses that made it possible for those without wads of cash to enjoy the game of golf. Now it will mean that you will have to pony up to play - even at twilight prices.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

I think this proposal is a disgrace, but doesn't surprise me. Valley bottom golf courses are becoming a thing of the past in Kelowna. It started 20 years ago with Central Park and Fairview, now its Kelowna Springs and Michaelbrook. These are unpretentious golf courses you would find in normal cities, but are not fancy enough for Kelowna standards. We are all about world class golf courses like Tower Ranch, Quail and Bear, Shannon Lake, Gallaghers, etc. Ones that offer 'million dollar views' that the Albertans are obsessed with for some reason. "Hey lets go golfing at Kelowna Springs on our visit", said no golfing tourist ever. Mission Creek Golf will probably be next. Shadow Ridge will be a thing of the past too some day, but that one is different circumstances due to airport expansion, that property would have been expropriated regardless.

A similar situation to this is accommodation. Normal, unpretentious family style motels and motor inns that are standard in normal cities, are giving way to fancy hotels and resorts charging $300+ a night.

We have a shortage of industrial land do we? Guess what? There is a large chunk of land at Manhattan Point, build there! Its already zoned industrial, there ya go! Build another sawmill, lets get industrial jobs going in this city again! Jobs, jobs and more jobs. Nope, it will be an overbuilt, upscale condo resort that barely anyone will be able to afford. Kelowna is such a poorly planned afterthought.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Boosted632 wrote: Jun 30th, 2022, 6:41 pm Its been zoned industrial forever and its surrounded by industrial land, one less golf course isn't going to matter around here
Considering the population growth that kelowna is suppost to see in the next 20 years you would think we would need more outdoor activities for everyone. Not less.
Hornswoggle
Fledgling

Post by Hornswoggle »

Traffic is such a mess at the roundabout Rutland road and Old Vernon. The new little industrial park only make it worse.
Imagine the traffic increase along old vernon if this goes through. Why does kelowna have to keep building and growing, its to much for me i only wish i was in a position financially to move away. No infrastructure as it is, more lights doesnt solve the problem. I say no to killing that green space, unlike Ryan Dunn Colin's little side kick, both said pave paradise and put up buildings and a small parking lot
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Boosted632 wrote: Jun 30th, 2022, 6:41 pm Its been zoned industrial forever and its surrounded by industrial land, one less golf course isn't going to matter around here
But it isn't just one less golf course, since the city owns Shadow Ridge and will eventually shut it down, plus they want to have Michaelbrook as well.

That would remove three courses, that are all relatively flat, and well suited to seniors.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

We would lose three of the most affordable Golf Courses in the entire valley.

Kelowna Springs 18 round is 75$
MichaelBrook 18 round is 42$
ShadowRidge 18 round is 55$

The Rise 18 round is 147$
Predator Ridge 18 round is 225$
Gallaghers Caynon 18 round is 159$

Three courses that are perfect for young people to get out be active and learn the sport. Three courses that won't break the bank with Green Fees, Won't break the bank with lost balls and you wont lose your mind if you slice or hook the ball onto a different hole. You can actually enjoy playing the game.

Without these options available, Golf in the Okanagan will die as only the very wealthy will be able to afford their kids to learn the sport.

Kelowna Springs is also surrounded by farmland and In my opinion, the whole Ellison neighborhood behind the Airport is a very beautiful area with all the small hobby farms. Creeping Industrial lands into this area is the wrong decision.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

FYm2TouWAAc4wuk.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

69cutlass wrote: Jul 26th, 2022, 6:30 am
Considering the population growth that kelowna is suppost to see in the next 20 years you would think we would need more outdoor activities for everyone. Not less.
Considering the population growth in the next 20 years you would think we would need more industrial land ie JOBS not less
Last edited by Boosted632 on Jul 26th, 2022, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Glacier wrote: Jul 26th, 2022, 1:35 pm FYm2TouWAAc4wuk.jpg
so that is his first promise if he wins , omg. lots more important issues than that dyas
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”