Kelowna Crime Rate Highest in Canada

normaM
The Pilgrim

Kelowna Crime Rate Highest in Canada

Post by normaM »

too bad it is for the highest crime rate in Canada
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ada#378413

Wonder how the City Council going to spin this to the tourists?
Why do I think the RCMP will decline comment, or cite being short staffed
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
DarbyD
Übergod

Stat Can 2021: Kelowna Crime Rate Highest in Canada

Post by DarbyD »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... -in-Canada

Metro Kelowna, which includes all communities from Lake Country to Peachland, reported a crime rate per 100,000 last year of 11,112.

That is by far the worst crime rate of any census metropolitan area in Canada, and an increase of 10 per cent from 2020. Nationally, the crime rate per 100,000 rose just one per cent to 5,375 in 2021.
Kelowna recorded the second-highest violent crime rate per 100,000 residents in Canada at 1,980 — up 11 per cent in a year — second only to Thunder Bay at 2,134. The national violent crime rate fell seven per cent last year to 1,323 per 100,000.
The Crime Severity Index measures the overall seriousness of crime by assigning greater weight to significant offences.

Kelowna has the second-highest Crime Severity Index in the country at 122.3, a seven per cent increase from the previous year. Kelowna trails only Lethbridge, which reported a CSI of 128.7. Canada’s national CSI was calculated at 73.7.
Kelowna’s violent crime severity index, which sets aside property crime, places the region at seventh-worst behind cities like Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Sudbury and Saskatoon.
Kelowna also has the second highest rate of opioid-related offences in Canada (116 per 100,000 population), trailing only Lethbridge (124) and well above Vancouver (45).

Kelowna’s crime wave bucks the provincial trend, with provincial statistics for the Crime Severity Index (92.9) and crime rate (7,486) falling last year by five and four per cent, respectively.
* Does Metro Kelowna include Lake Country and Peachland or up to? Isn't West Kelowna it's own city rather than part of Kelowna?

Finally some stats to show the reality in Kelowna, that crime here is worse than other places in Canada. It's not just a few people grumbling.

I wonder how much of this is because of repeat offenders? Is "catch and release" happening more often in Kelowna than other cities in the province? The UBCMC has already highlighted and written a letter about repeat offenders will Eby or Farnsworth finally do something or will they still wait for their study to be completed?
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Stat Can 2021: Kelowna Crime Rate Highest in Canada

Post by the truth »

But, but we keep on being told by our city leaders kelowna is safe :135: .
hey kelowna city leaders, bc housing ,jhs you seem to be a fans of hard stats , well there you have it, your turn to put a bs twist on it.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

They can hang a banner up on the Tourist Center
Yes, ppl are so often saying a few are grumbling but Kelowna is a safe haven
not so much with the latest News
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

I know the fear I feel in and around Kelowna at times and I try to keep it in check. Along with that comes anger that not enough seems to be being done to decrease the crime in our city.

Why is this increase happening in Kelowna? I know our police force is over worked and short staffed, but there has to be more to it, but what? Are the crown and judges here different than other parts of the province or country, with more leniency and catch and release routines?

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the city, rcmp, and crown attorneys spin this.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think this article is an excellent wake-up call prior to an election.

Obviously, our current mayor and council aren't doing enough to mitigate what is happening here. Probably too busy on social media? :admin:

At any rate, if Basran gets re-elected (rumours are he will run again) then I will have lost faith in the intelligence of the community.

We need a mayor and councillors who will agree to DO something about removing the criminal element. We need a "1 strike and you're gone" bylaw. If they're going to do criminal acts, we should have the right to remove them from the city.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Hornswoggle
Fledgling

Post by Hornswoggle »

Basran should be proud of himself.
jessebooker
Fledgling

kelowna number 1 in crime!

Post by jessebooker »

all of you greedy *bleep* who turned our town into a rich people only get what you deserve, AND YOUR NUMBER 1 at it!

good job Kelowna you should all pat you're selves on your back because you did it! you all did youre part and we are number 1 WOOT WOOT !

and don't expect crime to come down either, the homeless are going to continue to grow with no upward mobility trapped in poverty and cant even find a *bleep* place to live in this *bleep* hole.

*bleep* you city hall *bleep* you city councel *bleep* you PMO AND GET *bleep* CRA THE WORST OF THE BUNCH!

hopefully no more tower cranes collapse on you stupid *bleep*
spooker

Re: kelowna number 1 in crime!

Post by spooker »

Being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=91789
spooker

Post by spooker »

DarbyD wrote: Aug 3rd, 2022, 7:03 am * Does Metro Kelowna include Lake Country and Peachland or up to? Isn't West Kelowna it's own city rather than part of Kelowna?
Just as "Metro Vancouver" encompasses all the way from North Van to White Rock out to Port Coquitlam ...
spooker

Post by spooker »

Lady tehMa wrote: Aug 3rd, 2022, 7:42 am I think this article is an excellent wake-up call prior to an election.

Obviously, our current mayor and council aren't doing enough to mitigate what is happening here. Probably too busy on social media? :admin:

At any rate, if Basran gets re-elected (rumours are he will run again) then I will have lost faith in the intelligence of the community.

We need a mayor and councillors who will agree to DO something about removing the criminal element. We need a "1 strike and you're gone" bylaw. If they're going to do criminal acts, we should have the right to remove them from the city.
I agree that we're not doing enough to stop repeat offenders ... but "removal" would get shot down by the courts ... you don't fix a problem by shoving it somewhere else, that's pie-eyed thinking ... we need more presence of people (and yes, RCMP) ...

Running through City Park this morning we saw a few bins that had the trash strewn all across the path ... thankfully there was the contractor there already cleaning things up ... but we should have pick up happen at the end of the day so when the freaks come out at night (props to Whodini) they have less to work with ...
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I have a question of the RCMP...

They were caught a couple of years ago declaring 40% of all sex assault complaint's "unfounded". (the national average for unfounded sexual assault complaints was something like 15%).

I doubt Stats Canada re-issued stats for 2020 to reflect the correct number of sexual assaults a year or after the fact.

Have they done the same for other crimes ? In other words, how long, in reality, has Kelowna and area had the highest or one of the highest crime rates in Canada ?

All it takes is some "creative" bookkeeping to avoid certain crime numbers.

There a fight on the street, police attend, break it up, nobody is arrested. Issuing an occurrence number for an assault = 1 violent crime, issuing an occurrence number for a disturbance = 1 non-violent crime.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Hornswoggle wrote: Aug 3rd, 2022, 7:54 am Basran should be proud of himself.
Why its not his fault
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 3rd, 2022, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Not sure about the Mayor and his posse but the RCMP aren't doing their job
Time for a police force presence
I think over the yrs the RCMP here got such media black eyes from things like kicking a Man in the head they are afraid to do squat

Return to “Central Okanagan”