Kelowna Civic Elections this October......HEAVY Changes Needed

just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna Civic Elections this October......HEAVY Changes Needed

Post by just popping in »

There appear to be many who don't understand the difference between Federal, Provincial and Municipal, different jurisdictions, different rules.... if a person is interested or care, they need to educate themselves in order to make educated choices.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

alanjh595 wrote: Aug 3rd, 2022, 6:22 pm
Gone_Fishin wrote: Aug 3rd, 2022, 10:25 am

Seems like a solid reason not to vote for soft-on-crime Liberals in this race.

People need to do their due diligence and make sure none of these local Trudeau Liberals make it into municipal power. The worst thing for our crime problem would be coddling Liberals pushing to let "misguided little Tommy with his 47 prior convictions" off the hook.
Since when did municipal politicians identify with provincial and federal political groups? When are they represented in the house of commons?
Do you think organizers for the Liberal Party of Canada like some of these municipal candidates don't have an ear in Ottawa?

Yikes! I didn't think people were so naïve.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

As we approach the next election we should be asking our candidates the following questions:
- are you supportive of the current OCP?
- how should new development provide increased support for required infrastructure?
- what will be your moves to improve fiscal accountability for the taxpayer?
- what are the ways you will improve first responder service (ambulance, fire, police) in the city

I am not interested in party politics but in electing a Council that will be responsive to the wishes and needs of citizens and not just developers.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Knowing the lack of turnout at Provincial & Federal elections, I’m not expecting much change in a municipal elections.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I will vote for the candidates that use the slogan........"IT'S TIME TO SLOW THE F :cuss: DOWN"..........this covers a lot of the problems that are growing here.

All of these questions people want to pose to the candidates election after election is just a crock of :cuss: .........especially in Kelowna. Just look at all of the :cuss: ing idiots who have been on council since 2000........a handful had some smarts.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

just_browsing wrote: Aug 11th, 2022, 11:13 am
lesliepaul wrote: Aug 5th, 2022, 12:42 pm I will vote for the candidates that use the slogan........"IT'S TIME TO SLOW THE F :cuss: DOWN"..........this covers a lot of the problems that are growing here.

All of these questions people want to pose to the candidates election after election is just a crock of :cuss: .........especially in Kelowna. Just look at all of the :cuss: ing idiots who have been on council since 2000........a handful had some smarts.
[icon_lol2.gif]

Exactly! The leaders and money holders have all made us think that we will miss out on opportunities if we don't act NOW.

Imagine how incredible this city would be if we fixed a couple issues of concerns and just shut the *bleep* doors!

We not only need councilors that don't cave under pressure from sales pitches, but we also need a mayor that doesn't agree with absolutely everything CoK staff come out with. It's almost like he's an extension of the top leadership team because he's never gone against a recommendation from staff!

I wish Phil Johnston and other radio/media voices would quit saying we need people that understand "the business" of how to grow a city, and should have experience of some sort. That is what the CoK hires their employees for. The electees are there so that us residents have a voice to say no to the business leaders at the top.

I went out on a limb to say the Mayor hasn't gone against ANYTHING city staff has brought to him, but I may be wrong. I've just personally not witnessed it and, to be quite honest, I don't think Colin is comfortable with confrontation of any type and would rather just do what the big players say is necessary. Have you ever seen Colin defend the residents concerns to Staff? Ever?
WELL SAID :130:
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Vote NIMBY? No thanks.

I like Gord Lovegrove's platform, despite the misunderstanding of the need for a second bridge. It's not traffic VOLUME that's the concern but having a second crossing for emergencies in any situation where hwy 97 is blocked.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
spooker

Post by spooker »

CrystalCity wrote: Aug 14th, 2022, 10:40 am Vote NIMBY? No thanks.

I like Gord Lovegrove's platform, despite the misunderstanding of the need for a second bridge. It's not traffic VOLUME that's the concern but having a second crossing for emergencies in any situation where hwy 97 is blocked.
So are you saying that a second crossing should be built but the general public would be blocked from using it unless the main artery is blocked?
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

When I hear talk that Kelowna needs a second crossing I just laugh because a new bridge needs new roads & neither of our Governments will provide the funding so it's another delusional dream ?
spooker

Post by spooker »

one wheel wrote: Aug 15th, 2022, 9:56 am When I hear talk that Kelowna needs a second crossing I just laugh because a new bridge needs new roads & neither of our Governments will provide the funding so it's another delusional dream ?
Yep, pretty much anyone running that says we need a 2nd crossing if off my list since they are showing that they haven't really thought it through full ...
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

spooker wrote: Aug 15th, 2022, 5:48 am So are you saying that a second crossing should be built but the general public would be blocked from using it unless the main artery is blocked?
Of course not. The necessity of the 2nd bridge comes from that situation, but by no means is a restriction to its use, unlike the proposed dirt road by-pass that will be limited to only Emergency vehicles.
spooker

Post by spooker »

CrystalCity wrote: Aug 15th, 2022, 10:36 am
spooker wrote: Aug 15th, 2022, 5:48 am So are you saying that a second crossing should be built but the general public would be blocked from using it unless the main artery is blocked?
Of course not. The necessity of the 2nd bridge comes from that situation, but by no means is a restriction to its use, unlike the proposed dirt road by-pass that will be limited to only Emergency vehicles.
Ok, so the second crossing is necessary, sorry, sometimes English can be tricky to understand with vagueness in the context ... thank you for clarifying ...
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

:up:

I think half the problem with municipal elections is that it a more complex process than Provincial or Federal ones. The average voter knows who the mayor is and is less familiar with the councilors or why they have to select more than one. Interest groups, be it for or against, are diligent enough to understand the process. The average voter? It comes down to if they like how the city is being run, they vote for the current Mayor, if not, they vote for a mayoral candidate who is the most recognizable in opposition.

You'd be lucky if the high school that you attended had mock parliaments to understand the process at the Provincial and Federal levels. The municipal level? I don't think that's even covered in most universities, unless you are going for a Master's degree in Urban Planning.
marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by marvin gardens »

A big problem with civic elections is candidates failing to say what they stand for.
We hear tired expressions, of "lots more to be done"I have to keep my sleeves rolled up"..Mohini Singh..we have approved many rental units" Yes Mohini, but not what is needed.Oh, Mohini also exclaimed: " part of our city is on a mountainside" Great observation!
A new entrant Rick Webber is Mr. Nice but has not uttered a word about what he stands for.
Loyal Woldridge,best supporting actor for the mayors videos "loves the job"
Two days ago, Phil at Talk radio Lite exclaimed: we need another bridge to acommodate 250 thousand people.An election issue?
Look at Los Angeles 5 plus lanes in each direction, full, bumper to bumper.
Our bridge is almost empty after 7 each night.
The media it is shown with its poor coverage of issues results in low voter turnout
Taxpayes don't know the issues.
The incumbents like it that way.To quote councillor Luke Stack "that is democracy at work" as a vote to approve another housing development passed with 1 dissent.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

marvin gardens wrote: Aug 18th, 2022, 12:33 pm A big problem with civic elections is candidates failing to say what they stand for.
Actually I see the problem is that they will say anything that you want them to.
I have never seen them short on saying what they stand for. The problems and the excuses start when we expect them to actually do what they said they would do.

It would be interesting to see what shift if any there was, if remuneration was strictly based on performance and fulfilment of their campaign promises. Ain't going to happen - but we can dream! :)

Return to “Civic Elections 2022”