Old Costco site

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Old Costco site

Post by Urbane »

The old Costco site has been sold for $31.2 million. The site has just over 11 acres. The building has 135,000 square feet and is of course zoned commercial. I wonder who purchased it and I wonder what we'll see there. No, before anyone suggests it, unless Ikea changes its business plan we won't be seeing an Ikea going in there. Thoughts on what we might see there??
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Old Costco site

Post by GordonH »

Urbane wrote: Aug 5th, 2022, 12:33 pm The old Costco site has been sold for $31.2 million. The site has just over 11 acres. The building has 135,000 square feet and is of course zoned commercial. I wonder who purchased it and I wonder what we'll see there. No, before anyone suggests it, unless Ikea changes its business plan we won't be seeing an Ikea going in there. Thoughts on what we might see there??
Curious which brick & mortar is willing and able to fork over this kind of money, time will tell.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

I predict a wrecking ball could be going in there.

There will likely be a hotel, possibly 2 near the intersection of 97/33. Perhaps a high rise or 2, or maybe even a high rise hotel. Then apartments, condos and towmhomes toward Baron/Ziprick. Probably a little bit of retail mixed in, maybe a grocery store. The city will probably consider it to be one of their 'comprehensive development zones'.

It would be nice to reuse the Costco building, its not that old, but this is Kelowna in the middle of a building boom.
Last edited by bigtimeoperations on Aug 5th, 2022, 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

Urbane wrote: Aug 5th, 2022, 12:33 pm \I wonder who purchased it and I wonder what we'll see there.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ion#378923

The story actually says who purchased the property. The company developed several other commercial properties in Kelowna (as stated in the article), so the land will likely remain commercial.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

anything but salvation army , wet facilities, bc housing project or jhs building .
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

OhMyDarlin wrote: Aug 5th, 2022, 12:48 pm
Urbane wrote: Aug 5th, 2022, 12:33 pm \I wonder who purchased it and I wonder what we'll see there.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ion#378923

The story actually says who purchased the property. The company developed several other commercial properties in Kelowna (as stated in the article), so the land will likely remain commercial.
Interesting. The article I read was from another source and as usual Castanet fills in some important information. Thanks.
Nationalpro
Fledgling

Post by Nationalpro »

Call me crazy, but I think Kelowna could do with a new 18000 seat arena called the Frozen H20 Centre so we can host an NHL team.

We could use a Stanley cup parade down Bernard Avenue.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Amazon fulfillment center.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Nationalpro wrote: Aug 5th, 2022, 12:57 pm Call me crazy, but I think Kelowna could do with a new 18000 seat arena called the Frozen H20 Centre so we can host an NHL team.

We could use a Stanley cup parade down Bernard Avenue.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WRK03q76GKU

Thank you for a good laugh.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The rumor I heard was that a Lowes was going in there.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 5th, 2022, 1:03 pm The rumor I heard was that a Lowes was going in there.
let the rumors begin, lol
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 5th, 2022, 1:03 pm The rumor I heard was that a Lowes was going in there.
Lowes owns Rona. Be interesting to have the same company competing with each other.

Speculation will run wild, for a while.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

A land swap isn’t really all that surprising as the Bennett family is not known for the sale of their land instead preferring to lease it out rather outright sell it.
spooker

Post by spooker »

seewood wrote: Aug 5th, 2022, 1:16 pm
Lowes owns Rona. Be interesting to have the same company competing with each other.

Speculation will run wild, for a while.
BestBuy was successful for a while with that strategy ... but they designed the experience to be different between going into a BestBuy branded store and a FutureShop branded store ... one had commissioned staff while the other did not ...

But I agree that it's most likely not going to be a Lowes ... it has to be something very compelling for people to go through all the hoops to access that location with the crap intersection that is between the highways ...
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Yes, even I must reluctantly admit that IKEA's plans are limited to Toronto for current expansion. I doubt Lowes, but will add Cabela's into the mix for some giggles. Mind you, Elon Musk is "teas[ing about a] new Tesla factory in Canada", so perhaps the Bennetts are working with him. [icon_lol2.gif]
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.

Return to “Central Okanagan”