Cam footage from Kelowna's population

Comments about the discussion board. Site-related comments should be addressed to the applicable department through the Contact Us form.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Cam footage from Kelowna's population

Post by Queen K »

I didn't know where to put this but here goes.

Kelowna now has several crime awareness facebook pages, including several neighbourhood pages which report local crime in real time on their live action cameras. We are forever seeing, "these two smashed this truck window" footage. Usually this information gets some action on the page and then quickly gets buried.

I guess if I had to frame this as a "complaint" I'd say castanet does not have a dedicated spot for people to just post the crimes in action. So why not? There is the technology certainly and not having footage shown is emboldening the criminal element. Instead of going through the news process of submitting it and seeing if it's picked up, I am suggesting just having a place for people to upload it here and be done with it. There are literally hundreds of unreported actions by the criminal element with the exception of small facebook pages.

The main ones are: Kelowna Alert, Kelowna Scammer/Thieves/Crime, Stolen Bikes Kelowna, Kelowna Lost and Found, Kelowna Stole Items, Take Back Kelowna. There are neighbourhood pages for Black Mountain, Glenmore, Peachland, Glenrosa and Rutland too. All reporting break ins, stolen items, bikes, and vandalism. And no, it's not all tourists either.

So, can it be done? A dedicated thread or spot for the tech savvy who know how to share footage?
Last edited by Queen K on Aug 16th, 2022, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Cam footage from Kelowna's population

Post by alanjh595 »

I love the idea.

GOOD IDEA Queeny!!

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
Bring back the LIKE button.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Wondering what would be the purpose for it.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh of course WHAT would be the purpose of an ongoing crime alert thread solely dedicated to footage from cams of, GASP, crime in Kelowna and region.

Alerting people
Identification of criminals while they are doing the activity.
Maybe even exhonerating someone accused of said activity as in, proving who it was vs wasn't.

I am asking myself, "why does this even need explained?" :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

alanjh595 wrote: Aug 16th, 2022, 11:54 am I love the idea.

GOOD IDEA Queeny!!

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
Thanks AlanH! Having watched so many cam clips today in so many different groups I find it difficult to believe the RCMP pins it all on tourists.

These aren't tourists.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Queen K wrote: Aug 16th, 2022, 5:07 pm Oh of course WHAT would be the purpose of an ongoing crime alert thread solely dedicated to footage from cams of, GASP, crime in Kelowna and region.

Alerting people
Identification of criminals while they are doing the activity.
Maybe even exhonerating someone accused of said activity as in, proving who it was vs wasn't.

I am asking myself, "why does this even need explained?" :135:
I can't make out what the people look like on these footages.
It would be hard to identify anyone.
Get better pictures from Mars.
Hence my questioning of this idea.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

They're not all that bad and people do identify people they know.

My idea would cast a wider net so to speak for viewing criminals in action.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I would find it depressing after just a short time.
Reading about every known crime that occurs in my city, hell, I would bury myself away and never come out, rifle, bear spray, phone, all within arms reach.

I'm all too aware of what's going on out there, so let me live in my little world where I'm naively blind of the real world.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good news, no one would be forced to watch it. :up:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Queen K wrote: Aug 20th, 2022, 6:42 am Good news, no one would be forced to watch it. :up:
:spitcoffee: :spitcoffee: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

This is what I'm talking about, scum SCUM like this coming into old people's homes and stealing heirlooms SHOULD BE made famous But the process of going to media to see if their story has merit aught to be cut out altogether. Just post the damn video! And make a place for people to post the video.

Look at this trash, does anyone know him?

(ETA: THERE WAS footage of a man breaking into a house but I can't find it now. I watched it, saw his face and what he was wearing. So where did it go? :135: )

ETA: found it. Make this guy FAMOUS people! Share and share!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... kcrczb6ia0
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

And the cam footage did work in this instance, very astute off-duty officer. :up:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... f-duty-cop

Return to “Feedback and Requests”