Old Costco site

ok-weezy
Fledgling

Re: Old Costco site

Post by ok-weezy »

RustyCrayon wrote: Aug 22nd, 2022, 10:45 am
Bsuds wrote: Aug 22nd, 2022, 10:16 am

We had somethig similar on the Westside a few years ago and they went out of business.

Costco site would make an awesome roller rink!
Wholesale Sports was a company from Alberta that closed because they couldn't compete with giant American superstores like Bass Pro and Cabela's.

Sail or Simons could do well in that space also. But they tend to stick to opening stores in bigger cities.

we seem to have a market here for outdoor sports gear, the westside one had neat stuff at a good price. Why did it fold? I've never heard of Simons or Sail
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

There was also Grouse River on Enterprise. That folded too.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

ok-weezy wrote: Aug 23rd, 2022, 8:06 am
RustyCrayon wrote: Aug 22nd, 2022, 10:45 am

Wholesale Sports was a company from Alberta that closed because they couldn't compete with giant American superstores like Bass Pro and Cabela's.

Sail or Simons could do well in that space also. But they tend to stick to opening stores in bigger cities.

we seem to have a market here for outdoor sports gear, the westside one had neat stuff at a good price. Why did it fold? I've never heard of Simons or Sail
Sail is a Canadian chain of outdoor gear stores in Ontario and Québec. The best way to describe it would be MEC crossed with Wholesale Sports. They sell outdoor gear, clothes, hunting and fishing stuff. https://www.sail.ca/en/

Simons is a chain of stores originally from Québec that sells clothes, housewares and interesting items created by Canadian artisans. They've been around since the 1840s. There's one in North Vancouver. Maybe be a bit too fancy for the Kelowna crowd though. https://www.simons.ca/en/stores/our-story--a42135
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'm curious and will be following the site to see exactly what happens. :130:
I haven't failed until I quit.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Probably a homeless shelter for the Winter. :/
Indoor skating rink would be well used
Farmers Market
Surprised it isn't already a Spirit of Halloween store, one already popped up at Capri - former dollar store site
btw, new Sandwich place is now Open there
Earl of Sandwich
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

RustyCrayon wrote: Aug 23rd, 2022, 11:30 am Simons is a chain of stores originally from Québec that sells clothes, housewares and interesting items created by Canadian artisans. They've been around since the 1840s. There's one in North Vancouver. Maybe be a bit too fancy for the Kelowna crowd though. https://www.simons.ca/en/stores/our-story--a42135
Simons is actually worth checking out. The housewares are pretty affordable compared to what we can get here. Comparable to Home Sense but with more reliability of what is in stock
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

CrystalCity wrote: Aug 26th, 2022, 2:20 pm
RustyCrayon wrote: Aug 23rd, 2022, 11:30 am Simons is a chain of stores originally from Québec that sells clothes, housewares and interesting items created by Canadian artisans. They've been around since the 1840s. There's one in North Vancouver. Maybe be a bit too fancy for the Kelowna crowd though. https://www.simons.ca/en/stores/our-story--a42135
Simons is actually worth checking out. The housewares are pretty affordable compared to what we can get here. Comparable to Home Sense but with more reliability of what is in stock
AND is available via internet, plus delivered to one's house.
Bring back the LIKE button.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

B-b-but ordering clothes online is frustrating because I can never get my right size! :smt045
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

CrystalCity wrote: Aug 26th, 2022, 8:13 pm B-b-but ordering clothes online is frustrating because I can never get my right size! :smt045
Don't buy from vendors based in Asia and problem solved. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

CrystalCity wrote: Aug 26th, 2022, 8:13 pm B-b-but ordering clothes online is frustrating because I can never get my right size! :smt045
I'm trying to decide if you are being sarcastic or not (B-b-but); as this is a very real thing for those of us who are not standard sized . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote: Aug 27th, 2022, 12:46 pm
I'm trying to decide if you are being sarcastic or not (B-b-but); as this is a very real thing for those of us who are not standard sized . . .
In Canada, I am a L size, in China I was a XXL.

Allow for shrinkage. Same rule for shoes and many other things.

I loved shopping in China for clothing, there was a HUGE choice and if it didn't fit right, there was a young woman that would measure you on the spot, take your clothes and run away. The first time this happened, I freaked out (a bit). She returned 3 minutes later with alterations made at no extra cost.
I loved shopping in China.
Bring back the LIKE button.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Lady tehMa wrote: I'm trying to decide if you are being sarcastic or not (B-b-but); as this is a very real thing for those of us who are not standard sized . . .
I'm being honest and trying to stay light hearted. To stay on topic, that's why I'm for a Simons locating at the old Costco, as unlikely as it will be. I'm not that keen on an Amazon distribution centre going there either for the same reason...it's still online shopping and results in sizing challenges. Different companies have different sizes for the same label.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Well, I guess we know now.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... ite#408331

I suspect the Jysk store will go into the old Canadian tire, given the development plans for the apartment complex on its current site.
Last edited by CrystalCity on Jan 26th, 2023, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That's good News as the present location is overcrowded and hard to move around in.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Central Okanagan”