Multi-purposing, Reusing, Recycling, Repurposing, Donating ...

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
sitting rabbit
Fledgling

Re: Multi-purposing, Reusing, Recycling, Repurposing, Donating ...

Post by sitting rabbit »

Catsumi wrote: Sep 3rd, 2022, 8:55 pm Ipad recharger cords…you know how the wiring at end closest to ipad ALWAYS splits apart in a couple of months, no matter if they’re Apple or some knock-off variety.

Anyway, i use those frayed cords to tie up tomato plants or as hangars for cucs to clamber up. Sometimes used to hogtie Niberals in back seat.

I finally figured out a sure-fire way to prevent fraying simply by cutting the end off a pen top, sliding it onto cord, nestling it firmly up to ipad and voila, no stress on that joint between ipad and wires. I win!!
:up: Great idea :D Thanks for sharing :biggrin:
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein
sitting rabbit
Fledgling

Post by sitting rabbit »

Just thought of something:

Some donation places MCC (call and check your preferred first) accept used carboard egg cartons, and both glass and plastic clean used bottles/jars with tops (like peanut butter, mayo, jam, pickle, etc.)
night :sleepdeprived:
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I dave mine and neighbour’s egg cartons to farmer where I purchase fresh, straight up and gorgeous large eggs. I can’t even tolerate those force-fed chickens pale yellow eggs they fob off at stores. Yuk.

Plastic peanut butter jars, plastic coffee jars and the like are cleaned and then used to freeze pears, or pear butter, apple butter.

Glass jar disposal is still a big problem. Buy pickles, now have to dispose of jars. Some municipalities like forward thinking Coldstream picks them up, rest of Vernon…outta luck. You have to drive jars to an outfit that accepts glass. Believe me, in a senior’s building…it all goes into the garbage.
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 4th, 2022, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote: Sep 3rd, 2022, 9:51 pm Believe me, in a senior’s building…it all goes into the garbage.
They want us to recycle as much as possible and then make it very difficult to do so.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

sitting rabbit wrote: Sep 3rd, 2022, 9:28 pm
GordonH wrote: Sep 3rd, 2022, 4:52 pm Curious question, so has Canada stop sending its recycling to poorer countries around the world.
good question :up: thanks for asking but am not sure. I just try avoid adding to it ;-) I think some places have refused to take it because it was contaminate (mixed items recyclable and not) but that was awhile back, don't know what the situation is now though.

A friend took me to a place in Edmonton that accepts recycle items and sells them by the "pound". When you go you take a shopping cart like in a grocery store gather what you want and then take it over to be weighed. The charge (used to be a few years ago) I think it was $5.00 for 15 pounds.
Great place.
It would be cool to be able to do that at the landfill. I have seen some interesting stuff there!
I haven't failed until I quit.
sitting rabbit
Fledgling

Post by sitting rabbit »

Lady tehMa wrote: Sep 4th, 2022, 7:38 am
sitting rabbit wrote: Sep 3rd, 2022, 9:28 pm
good question :up: thanks for asking but am not sure. I just try avoid adding to it ;-) I think some places have refused to take it because it was contaminate (mixed items recyclable and not) but that was awhile back, don't know what the situation is now though.

A friend took me to a place in Edmonton that accepts recycle items and sells them by the "pound". When you go you take a shopping cart like in a grocery store gather what you want and then take it over to be weighed. The charge (used to be a few years ago) I think it was $5.00 for 15 pounds.
Great place.
It would be cool to be able to do that at the landfill. I have seen some interesting stuff there!
:smt045 - and I've also heard of a place in or near Vancouver, where at a dump site there is an area of, a shed if I remember correctly, where items can be taken to, to allow for others to roam through and pick up what they would like to take away. I've not been there but may search it out someday.

edited in:
Years ago when I was young, was dealing in antiques (in Ontario) and did the “large garbage pick-up rounds” as the practice was referred to as. I remember counting once- there were ten cars lined-up waiting to get to roam about the pile out in from of where I was living. And astonishingly it was only 7:30am.
Though the area had many successful auctioneer business, large garbage pick-up was free and it was a big even (even to empty estate residences) about town. In one morning while with me, my 8 year old son picked-up three discarded computers. He took them home tore them apart and built himself his first computer. He learned a great deal from doing that and had the use of “his” computer he knew inside and out for about four years.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

me bad, I don't reuse or repurpose anything
Used to save jars for a neighbour.... no idea what he used them all for

Anyone here done dumpster diving? Ive heard in bigger cities you can score treasures. Admit a few times I needed a certain sized box was tempted, so many places crush and shred the cardboard right away
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
sitting rabbit
Fledgling

Post by sitting rabbit »

normaM wrote: Sep 7th, 2022, 8:22 am
Admit a few times I needed a certain sized box was tempted, so many places crush and shred the cardboard right away
Yes re: packing supplies. I used to use liquor bottle boxes, I ended up finding a good source a china shop. Their delivery day was say Wed. and I agreed to be there early Friday morning to off-load their boxes and protective stuffing, so I went in and ask if I could have certain size rage of boxes. They liked it as they did not have to break down the boxes and I like as I got free packing supplies ;-)

We each do what we can... when we can :up: all is good.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There is a corner not far from us where people leave items they don't want anymore for anyone to take.

I have left a few reusable things there in the past and they disappear quickly.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

If you are moving to a new home I found that dry cleaning shops have literally sacks full of clear plastic bags to give away. They are wonderful to wrap around lamp shades, wrapping up delicate curios and carvings, ornaments,not to mention that they keep your hanging clothes free of dirt.

Good for wrapping up mirrors and front glassed paintings, prevents scratches.

I’ve also used them to wrap foam cushions when trying to get them to slide back into their newly washed covers, then just rip plastic out and discard.

Also useful for wrapping houseplants during the move so no soil spills into your immaculate transportation.

And they are free for the asking, but I always leave a small gift as a thanks
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Cats, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned how you use polyester sheers from the thrift store as row covers to protect your plants - I've found that really useful :up:

Also in a gardening theme, When you are done with those boxes put them in your garden as a weed cover. They break down and enrich the soil while preventing weeds from coming up. Same with newspapers (though my inlaws grab those for fire starter). But those are the beginning layers of a lasagna garden bed. https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-make-a ... en-2539877
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

re the stuff left on corners

Don't see it as much lately but some ppl would put out god awful hard worn furniture with a sign says Free
Rain, snow, raccoons

Now they try to save the dump fees by selling on Marketplace :/

Wait, I re use plastic grocery bags, naturally they will soon go way of the dodo
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I get so jealous - I belong to a weird & wonderful second-hand finds site on FB and the stuff people in the states and UK have found just lying around is amazing. Even my friend's sister - she came up from the US for a visit and was telling me about the bookcases she scored for $100. Tall, deep, solid wood, and she picked up at a mansion a county over from her. The sellers were moving and had priced stuff to get rid of it because it wouldn't match the decor plan for the new house :200:

I have gotten a few good deals up at the Kettle Valley garage sale, but nothing quite like that . . .
sitting rabbit
Fledgling

Post by sitting rabbit »

Lady tehMa wrote: Sep 11th, 2022, 9:22 am I get so jealous - I belong to a weird & wonderful second-hand finds site on FB and the stuff people in the states and UK have found just lying around is amazing. Even my friend's sister - she came up from the US for a visit and was telling me about the bookcases she scored for $100. Tall, deep, solid wood, and she picked up at a mansion a county over from her. The sellers were moving and had priced stuff to get rid of it because it wouldn't match the decor plan for the new house :200:

I have gotten a few good deals up at the Kettle Valley garage sale, but nothing quite like that . . .
Yes... be curious, ask around, seek, be creative, envision anew - my sister, and my sister-in-law both taught me to envision something upside down to see if it could be used in a way other than what is was made for. Paint, reconfigure add to or subtract from… take totally apart 😊
Same for searching out sources, be creative :up:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Spent hours at ArtWalk today. I am always impressed by the range of emotions art can evoke from every corner of the psyche. My personal artform re-purposes wheelbarrows into planters. Nine in a row, different flower colour arranges every year. I know for a fact many artists are living the re-using, re-evisioning, recycling themes every step of the way through their art. Always awed by the sheer multi-talent of those whom incorporate objects into their visions for their mixed media creations.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Creative Endeavours”