GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Earthquakes worldwide 6.0 or greater

Post by GordonH »

M 6.2 - southern East Pacific Rise
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... /executive

M 6.6 - 43 km SE of Kangding, China
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

M 6.2 - 262 km ESE of Biak, Indonesia
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

M 7.7 - 68 km NW of Lae, Papua New Guinea
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Is 7.7 not a HUGE earthquake? I just looked, no tsunami warning.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote: Sep 10th, 2022, 5:33 pm Is 7.7 not a HUGE earthquake? Is there a tsunami warning? :135:
Quake happen on land, so no tsunami.

btw clicking onto the link will show you were the quake happened.

If the quake happens off shore (ocean) there are 2 basic types:
Side to Side motion... no tsunami
Up & down motion... potential tsunami
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thanks Gordon, never thought of that before. So, the huge tsunami that hit Thailand in 2004(?) must have been an up and downer. Makes perfect sense imho.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Catsumi wrote: Sep 10th, 2022, 5:55 pm Thanks Gordon, never thought of that before. So, the huge tsunami that hit Thailand in 2004(?) must have been an up and downer. Makes perfect sense imho.
Your welcome.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

GordonH wrote: Sep 10th, 2022, 6:42 pm
Catsumi wrote: Sep 10th, 2022, 5:55 pm Thanks Gordon, never thought of that before. So, the huge tsunami that hit Thailand in 2004(?) must have been an up and downer. Makes perfect sense imho.
Your welcome.
Sure thing. Anytime you think something is noteworthy, tell us yokels in plain language what or why we might be alerted. :up:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

GordonH wrote: Sep 10th, 2022, 5:36 pm
Queen K wrote: Sep 10th, 2022, 5:33 pm Is 7.7 not a HUGE earthquake? Is there a tsunami warning? :135:
Quake happen on land, so no tsunami.

btw clicking onto the link will show you were the quake happened.

If the quake happens off shore (ocean) there are 2 basic types:
Side to Side motion... no tsunami
Up & down motion... potential tsunami
Ha! You grabbed my first post before I went to look for the warning and didn't find it. Well thank God, considering how destructive they can be.

Earlier they thought there might just be a tsunami yet but then downgraded that thought.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/10/asia/ear ... index.html
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

M 7.0 - southeast of the Loyalty Islands
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Northern Iceland is experiencing an earthquake swarm consisting of thousands of earthquakes of various strengths right now. There may not be anything significant come of it but there are people hoping for a new island forming.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote: Sep 14th, 2022, 7:45 am Northern Iceland is experiencing an earthquake swarm consisting of thousands of earthquakes of various strengths right now. There may not be anything significant come of it but there are people hoping for a new island forming.
Western Iceland is on North America Tectonic plate, Eastern Iceland is on Eurasian Tectonic plate.
The 2 plates roughly meet down middle of Island Nation.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Except that is not what is happening in the new earthquake swarms. This one is in the North, under the sea near the island of Grimsey. It's not new or unusual, it's just 8,000 quakes of varying strengths. The Icelandic geologists are right on top of it.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote: Sep 14th, 2022, 9:56 pm Except that is not what is happening in the new earthquake swarms. This one is in the North, under the sea near the island of Grimsey. It's not new or unusual, it's just 8,000 quakes of varying strengths. The Icelandic geologists are right on top of it.
Here is a map showing the 2 plates (all the Tectonic plates worldwide are moving). This is main reason why the planet experience earthquakes, the release of the built up tension (there probably is a better technical term used). Then throw in volcanic activity and you get witness a hell of a ride.
2A5B2384-BAA7-477F-8F43-A20145D0CBFA.jpeg
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K wrote: Sep 14th, 2022, 9:56 pm Except that is not what is happening in the new earthquake swarms. This one is in the North, under the sea near the island of Grimsey. It's not new or unusual, it's just over 8,000 quakes of varying strengths. The Icelandic geologists are right on top of it.

"***** 8700 EARTHQUAKES IN ALMOST 1 WEEK *****
Incredible 8700 eartquakes have occured WNW of Grímsey Island in almost 1 week. About 180 earthquakes have been measured above magnitude 3, and eight have been larger than 4. Earthquake swarms like this are common in this part of Tjörnes Fracture Zone. Jón Frimann (icelandgeology.net) mentions that "these kinds of swarms happen every 2 to 3 years, it is longer between large earthquakes in the magnitude range of 6,0 to 7,0, but they do happen". There are no signs that an eruption will start, but there is lack of data and measurements in these areas, so the chance of a submarine eruption can never be ruled out. A submarine eruption was reported during 1867-1868 at the SE part of the fissure system off the northern coast of Iceland along the Manareyjar Ridge immediately north of Manareyjar Island. The island is located around 47,5 km from Grímsey Island.
But again. There are no signs of an eruption at the moment of writing. If anything unusual happens, I will update you."

Return to “World”