The day I realized there is no god.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by youjustcomplain »

capleton wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:35 pm Yet the Bible records him speaking through the sky to the prophets. None of this happens in reality I just think its odd that Hindu's have experiences of Shiva and Vishnu etc, Muslims have experiences from allah and pagans have experiences of Zeus, Odin etc, Christians have experiences from the Holy Spirit. I think this has to do neurobiology and culture rather then the truth of the supernatural.
Is it possible though, that the shared experiences from all of these different cultures could have been the same "god"? One person calls it Odin, the next calls it Allah. That doesn't mean that the experiences weren't real and didn't come from a god, it could just be that different cultures call the same thing by different names. I don't believe that to be the case. But simply because they call it by different names isn't much in the way of evidence that it's not true.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

youjustcomplain wrote: May 20th, 2022, 10:11 am
capleton wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:35 pm Yet the Bible records him speaking through the sky to the prophets. None of this happens in reality I just think its odd that Hindu's have experiences of Shiva and Vishnu etc, Muslims have experiences from allah and pagans have experiences of Zeus, Odin etc, Christians have experiences from the Holy Spirit. I think this has to do neurobiology and culture rather then the truth of the supernatural.
Is it possible though, that the shared experiences from all of these different cultures could have been the same "god"? One person calls it Odin, the next calls it Allah. That doesn't mean that the experiences weren't real and didn't come from a god, it could just be that different cultures call the same thing by different names. I don't believe that to be the case. But simply because they call it by different names isn't much in the way of evidence that it's not true.
Problem is, they all have different powers and abilities, so not likely the same.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

capleton wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:35 pm I think this has to do neurobiology and culture rather then the truth of the supernatural.
"Neurobiology
Neurobiology is the study of cells of the nervous system and the organization of these cells into functional circuits that process information and mediate behavior."

So just another word for Effing Nuts? :D
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

youjustcomplain wrote: May 20th, 2022, 10:11 am
Odin isn't the same god as yahweh/Jesus. hell Yahweh isn't even the same god as jesus
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Bsuds wrote: May 20th, 2022, 3:26 pm
capleton wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:35 pm I think this has to do neurobiology and culture rather then the truth of the supernatural.
"Neurobiology
Neurobiology is the study of cells of the nervous system and the organization of these cells into functional circuits that process information and mediate behavior."

So just another word for Effing Nuts? :D
Nope, where did you you get your definition? Neurobiology is the study of how the nervous system and brain works.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

capleton wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:01 pm
Nope, where did you you get your definition? Neurobiology is the study of how the nervous system and brain works.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/neurobiology.htm
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

capleton wrote: May 20th, 2022, 3:59 pm Odin isn't the same god as yahweh/Jesus. hell Yahweh isn't even the same god as jesus
Is that your belief? Given the level of evidence that you expect from people who make claims in this forum with relation to god, I'm surprised you, a non believer, would go on to define the god you don't believe in.

How do you know what gods are what when you don't believe in any of them to exist?

My point isn't that gods exist by different names. Only that it's possible that different cultures all know the same male god by different names. Most cultures that believe in this god of theirs, believe him to be all powerful, so though stories of Odin may talk about different powers from jesus's dad, it wouldn't be a leap to suggest that it's the same god.

We believe in the same number of gods Capleton.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

hahaha [icon_lol2.gif]

this was the day I realize there is a God. :up:

he made a war that killed millions of people so rich people could get richer - God saw what he did, but waited until now to expose the fool. Christians believe everyone will answer to God for all the bad things they did in their life, and this loser, liar, looks pathetic.

In the old days people like Tolstoy wrote stories that talked about God. Now, corporations like Disney fill people with a lot of useless stupid :cuss: - that makes them believe in no God.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
The Straken
Board Meister

Post by The Straken »

Thinktank wrote: May 24th, 2022, 5:19 am In the old days people like Tolstoy wrote stories that talked about God.
People still do that as it is all part of the revolving money machine that is the god lie. If nobody made money off of religion there would be alot less of it.
trump is a blight on that once great country.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 13th, 2022, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by WESTman »

How does one ground objective morality in a atheist worldview?
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

WESTman wrote: Sep 15th, 2022, 3:53 pm How does one ground objective morality in a atheist worldview?
Where did the Good Samaritan's morality come from if he wasn't religious?
The Straken
Board Meister

Post by The Straken »

Doing the right thing does not require a god, just good intentions.
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by WESTman »

The Straken wrote: Sep 16th, 2022, 8:17 am Doing the right thing does not require a god, just good intentions.
I did not say people who do not believe in god could not be moral people. I am asking a philosophical question, in a Atheist worldview where everything is merely matter in flux, macro evolution and survival of the fittest where there will be no judgment after death, where does the grounding from morals come from?
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis
The Straken
Board Meister

Post by The Straken »

Morality, our mental ability to tell right from wrong in our behaviors and the behaviors of others, is a product of evolution. Morality has been passed on through the course of evolution because it helps us to live in large social groups by enhancing our ability to get along and interact with others.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”