Firearms Forum!

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Firearms Forum!

Post by Catsumi »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 15th, 2022, 7:38 pm
Catsumi wrote: Sep 15th, 2022, 6:30 pm

Nice,but still would rather see you herding the dreaded hoofer.
Ya wasn't thinking of taking videos for Toktick.
Burning question:

Were you leading the Holstein or running from a full on charge?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Terrific work.

Hope you get a steak as a reward. [icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

just picked up Hornady's 11 edition reloading manual.
Cabela's Nanaimo had a couple of copies at a decent price.
covers Hornady's bullets but they have so many options i shpuld be able to use the data for other brand bullets.
thinking of selling my Mt bike....a ruger pr contemplated...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

seewood wrote: Sep 18th, 2022, 8:01 pm just picked up Hornady's 11 edition reloading manual.
Cabela's Nanaimo had a couple of copies at a decent price.
covers Hornady's bullets but they have so many options i shpuld be able to use the data for other brand bullets.
thinking of selling my Mt bike....a ruger pr contemplated...
Went out to Pat's range last week, again... took the .308 out to 1460 yrds with no spotter, and 22lr out to 470 yrds...
So I'd say sell the mt bike and go plinking with the new toy :D :up:
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

hozzle wrote: Sep 19th, 2022, 1:03 pm Went out to Pat's range last week, again... took the .308 out to 1460 yrds with no spotter,
1460 yards, that is very impressive. is that a 20" steel?
I have a .308 as well but my god, do I have a way to go to contemplate those distances. Is that in a 26" barrel" have a favorite load?

22lr to 470 yards? That must come in like a mortar round.....
Out of town for all of Oct so shooting time is limited at the moment.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

seewood wrote: Sep 19th, 2022, 10:16 pm 1460 yards, that is very impressive. is that a 20" steel?
I have a .308 as well but my god, do I have a way to go to contemplate those distances. Is that in a 26" barrel" have a favorite load?

22lr to 470 yards? That must come in like a mortar round.....
Out of town for all of Oct so shooting time is limited at the moment.
The steel plate at 1460 is rectangular I think Pat mentioned it was 14" wide x 24" tall. My .308 only has a 22" custom bull barrel... my 30-06 (didn't shoot that day) has a 28" custom bull barrel.

As for the 22lr... yup... lobbed em in there with the help of a 20 moa rail & 20 moa shims in the rings to point the business end up while keepin the target in the crosshairs.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 21st, 2022, 1:52 pm ^^^^
What kind of 22lr? Standard velocity and weight or higher velocity and lower weight?

Speaking of 22lr I'm trying to find the federal champion 36 grain 1260 fps copper plated hollow point 525 round value pack. Anyone seen any for sale anywhere?
A guy that competes in CRPS showed me what he uses... SK rifle match... and I just copied him, lol.

https://sk-ammunition.com/products/rifle-match/

Oh... and just for clarity/disclosure... the size of target at 470 yrds I shot at with my 22lr was a life-size silhouette of a bad guy... nothing like the smaller plates in the rest of the range.
I honestly think with a good rifle set up and a nice dusty forestry road and a 12" painted boulder most folks can have a field day at 300-400 yrds all day long. Hitting the dusty road helps to find that sweet spot... until the wind picks up and changes direction, lol.
- M. de Voltaire
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Please don't shoot down a forestry road, that's horrible advice.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 24th, 2022, 4:36 pm
hozzle wrote: Sep 21st, 2022, 9:58 pm

A guy that competes in CRPS showed me what he uses... SK rifle match... and I just copied him, lol.

https://sk-ammunition.com/products/rifle-match/

Oh... and just for clarity/disclosure... the size of target at 470 yrds I shot at with my 22lr was a life-size silhouette of a bad guy... nothing like the smaller plates in the rest of the range.
I honestly think with a good rifle set up and a nice dusty forestry road and a 12" painted boulder most folks can have a field day at 300-400 yrds all day long. Hitting the dusty road helps to find that sweet spot... until the wind picks up and changes direction, lol.
Those SK rounds are probably the most consistent sub sonic rounds available for speed. 1040-1070 fps.
I was told the SK rifle match is close to Lapua CenterX... but you get the odd 10% flier with SK at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of CenterX
- M. de Voltaire
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

django wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 7:51 am Please don't shoot down a forestry road, that's horrible advice.
Its a dead end decommissioned forestry road. sorry should have been more clear.
- M. de Voltaire
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 25th, 2022, 4:32 pm For .22lr apparently the most powerful is the Aguilla Interceptor@ 192 ft-lb. 1475 fps/40 grain copper plated flat point. Can't find those here.
If I could afford it, I'd just go with the CCI Velocitors cphp. 1450 fps 40 grain. Still stable and supersonic at 75 yards.
IMHO powder charge is far more important than velocity. Once you tune the barrel to the charge you accuracy increases. And to be clear the custom barrel on my 10/22 is the same manufacturer and specs as the shooter that recommended the SK rifle match. So thru his testing different factory ammo I got the results that I wanted (can't or wouldn't recommend reloading 22lr, lol).
I think I mentioned it before, you must tune your powder charge to match the harmonic frequency of your barrel, hence reloading is the easiest and consistent way of achieving it.
- M. de Voltaire
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6596683

Interesting, Alberta won't be having the RCMP siezing any of the fire arms on Tru-dums prohibited list. Wonder if that accounts for the city police in Calgary and Edmonton?

Will the RCMP do the same here leaving the first nations the only lot that will be in " legal " possesion of an AR style rifle?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Good for Alberta, nice to see someone standing up to this colossal waste of time and money the Liberals have concocted.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Agreed! Now for the rest of Canada to wake up.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”