Re: More sleeping on the street

Post by alanjh595 »

Bring back the LIKE button.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ew-shelter

so they spend months building this, and they cannot even staff on time, what a gong show of a place,
so executive director carmen rempel is saying they are competing against fast food chains who also pay up to $20 hour,
wow :200: so you are looking to hire people to work in such a complex and even dangerous job at times ,and wonder why you are having such a hard time finding staff- maybe bacause like you said carmen you are paying fast food wages
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

A news story tonight on CHBC Local news about the new homeless shelter being built at the packing house building on Ellis. It included a spokesperson from the Gospel mission who is going to run the shelter saying it is being delayed in opening partly because there is a staffing shortage and they are having a problem hiring people to work at the shelter. Then there was more talk about how the homeless population is growing and they showed the camping area with 80 campers. It boggles my mind why all these people are out of work and homeless and the Gospel Mission can't hire workers to work at the shelter for these people. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

maple leaf wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 6:57 pm A news story tonight on CHBC Local news about the new homeless shelter being built at the packing house building on Ellis. It included a spokesperson from the Gospel mission who is going to run the shelter saying it is being delayed in opening partly because there is a staffing shortage and they are having a problem hiring people to work at the shelter. Then there was more talk about how the homeless population is growing and they showed the camping area with 80 campers. It boggles my mind why all these people are out of work and homeless and the Gospel Mission can't hire workers to work at the shelter for these people. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?
You make a good point!!! Probably too strung out on drugs to get a job, unfortunately.

I getting to the point where I'm thinking anyone on drugs should be totally cut off from social services. Have public gardens where they can grow food if they so choose, but beyond that nothing. Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lynn K
Fledgling

Post by Lynn K »

the truth wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 7:22 am https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ew-shelter

so they spend months building this, and they cannot even staff on time, what a gong show of a place,
so executive director carmen rempel is saying they are competing against fast food chains who also pay up to $20 hour,
wow :200: so you are looking to hire people to work in such a complex and even dangerous job at times ,and wonder why you are having such a hard time finding staff- maybe bacause like you said carmen you are paying fast food wages
You would be the first to scream blue murder if they offered staff a competitive wage.
thesportinglife
Fledgling

Post by thesportinglife »

maple leaf wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 6:57 pm A news story tonight on CHBC Local news about the new homeless shelter being built at the packing house building on Ellis. It included a spokesperson from the Gospel mission who is going to run the shelter saying it is being delayed in opening partly because there is a staffing shortage and they are having a problem hiring people to work at the shelter. Then there was more talk about how the homeless population is growing and they showed the camping area with 80 campers. It boggles my mind why all these people are out of work and homeless and the Gospel Mission can't hire workers to work at the shelter for these people. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?

Here's the problem: hiring a street person from the Gospel mission is like turning a sow's ear into a silk purse ! It just doesn't work !

One day, years ago, myself, a long time Kelowna resident, decided to act like Mother Teresa and called up the KGM executive director at the time and asked them to find me a suitable renter for a furnished room that I had for rent. Please screen for drug use and send me a non smoker, I told them. I also said I had a paid job for the qualified renter, as well.

Well, some guy in his 40's did call me and, after meeting with him, I interviewed him and after checking references, decided to give him a chance. His name was Mildenberger, the son of "Girlfriend Gloria" Mildenberger, a well known deejay at CKOV back in the 1960's. I once worked at CKOV, myself, so we had something in common ? I then picked him up the next day and he moved in.

However, after checking up on him, the next day, I noticed that he was weird. he was sleeping on the carpeted floor of his room, even though a furnished room and a comfortable bed with clean blankets was provided. I couldn't understand why he had rejected the bed.

He told me that the mattress was too soft ! The mattress was a brand new futon mattress that we purchased at JYSK and it wasn't cheap ($170.00) or uncomfortable. LOL Now, here's a guy who was homeless, yet, he was negotiating with me as to where to sleep ! Just crazy and quite disrespectful, actually.

However, what got him kicked out of my rental was a habit of keeping an open switch blade knife on his dresser, which made me and my family very, very, uncomfortable. After telling him to put away the weapon, he refused, so I had to call the RCMP and even then, he refused to leave ! They eventually took him away in the cop car after one hour of negotiation and the weapon was seized.

In any event, that was the last time that I will EVER hire a homeless person or rent a room to them. It's just not worth it. Many Kelowna street people have this very arrogant sense of self-entitlement and, if you are planning to help them, it's no use.

Its not the mental health problems that they have, it's' the arrogance and the disrespectfulness. You can send them to a shrink for months of treatment, but they will still be arrogant.

Anyhow, I'm not running for Mayor, so it's Basran's problem and not mine !

You'll get screwed, like I did, if you do hire or rent to them ? Be careful, people.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Glacier wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 7:08 pm
You make a good point!!! Probably too strung out on drugs to get a job, unfortunately.

I getting to the point where I'm thinking anyone on drugs should be totally cut off from social services. Have public gardens where they can grow food if they so choose, but beyond that nothing. Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.
they should 100% be cut off from tax payers money if using
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

thesportinglife wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 9:13 pm

Here's the problem: hiring a street person from the Gospel mission is like turning a sow's ear into a silk purse ! It just doesn't work !

One day, years ago, myself, a long time Kelowna resident, decided to act like Mother Teresa and called up the KGM executive director at the time and asked them to find me a suitable renter for a furnished room that I had for rent. Please screen for drug use and send me a non smoker, I told them. I also said I had a paid job for the qualified renter, as well.

Well, some guy in his 40's did call me and, after meeting with him, I interviewed him and after checking references, decided to give him a chance. His name was Mildenberger, the son of "Girlfriend Gloria" Mildenberger, a well known deejay at CKOV back in the 1960's. I once worked at CKOV, myself, so we had something in common ? I then picked him up the next day and he moved in.

However, after checking up on him, the next day, I noticed that he was weird. he was sleeping on the carpeted floor of his room, even though a furnished room and a comfortable bed with clean blankets was provided. I couldn't understand why he had rejected the bed.

He told me that the mattress was too soft ! The mattress was a brand new futon mattress that we purchased at JYSK and it wasn't cheap ($170.00) or uncomfortable. LOL Now, here's a guy who was homeless, yet, he was negotiating with me as to where to sleep ! Just crazy and quite disrespectful, actually.

However, what got him kicked out of my rental was a habit of keeping an open switch blade knife on his dresser, which made me and my family very, very, uncomfortable. After telling him to put away the weapon, he refused, so I had to call the RCMP and even then, he refused to leave ! They eventually took him away in the cop car after one hour of negotiation and the weapon was seized.

In any event, that was the last time that I will EVER hire a homeless person or rent a room to them. It's just not worth it. Many Kelowna street people have this very arrogant sense of self-entitlement and, if you are planning to help them, it's no use.

Its not the mental health problems that they have, it's' the arrogance and the disrespectfulness. You can send them to a shrink for months of treatment, but they will still be arrogant.

Anyhow, I'm not running for Mayor, so it's Basran's problem and not mine !

You'll get screwed, like I did, if you do hire or rent to them ? Be careful, people.
thank you for sharing your story, unlike the lies they try to spine on the news about they homeless junkies needing and wanting help ,
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

thesportinglife wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 9:13 pm

A lot of the homeless would fall under your experience but not all of them are druggies and should IMO be able to hold a job at a shelter they are frequenting, which wouldn't be in someone's personal home. If they want a warm place to sleep they should have to be a part of the solution and help out themselves and others in the same predicament. If not go sleep in a tent in the snow.
thesportinglife
Fledgling

the truth wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 6:54 am
thank you for sharing your story, unlike the lies they try to spine on the news about they homeless junkies needing and wanting help ,
You're very welcome ! The homeless problem in Kelowna won't go away anytime soon. Those who believe that the homeless in Kelowna are good hires, then, HIRE THEM ! Put your money where your mouth is ! I'm done with them !
thesportinglife
Fledgling

maple leaf wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 8:53 am

A lot of the homeless would fall under your experience but not all of them are druggies and should IMO be able to hold a job at a shelter they are frequenting, which wouldn't be in someone's personal home. If they want a warm place to sleep they should have to be a part of the solution and help out themselves and others in the same predicament. If not go sleep in a tent in the snow.
I wont help out, anymore, and I wont rescue them, either! *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 26th, 2022, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

thesportinglife wrote: Sep 25th, 2022, 9:29 pm
the truth wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 6:54 am
You're very welcome ! The homeless problem in Kelowna won't go away anytime soon. Those who believe that the homeless in Kelowna are good hires, then, HIRE THEM ! Put your money where your mouth is ! I'm done with them !
so many on here yaking all they need is a chance, bla bla bla, how many of them have taken one in, non safe to say or they would not be yaking about it
spooker

Post by spooker »

the truth wrote: Sep 26th, 2022, 6:52 am
thesportinglife wrote: Sep 25th, 2022, 9:29 pm

so many on here yaking all they need is a chance, bla bla bla, how many of them have taken one in, non safe to say or they would not be yaking about it
It'd be nice if the answer was that simple ... but it's not
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

thesportinglife wrote: Sep 25th, 2022, 9:32 pm

I wont help out, anymore, and I wont rescue them, either! *removed*
I'm not about trying to rescue them either. If they refuse to help themselves and help by working at the shelters that are there for them, then go live in a cold tent.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

How many homeless people do we have? How many of them would have jobs, wow what a opportunity! Shelter, sustenance and a real job!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”