Bike lane for Penticton

spooker

Re: Bike lane for Penticton

Post by spooker »

hozzle wrote: Sep 21st, 2022, 5:03 pm
spooker wrote: Sep 20th, 2022, 6:59 pm

Does it matter? If someone has a bike that they enjoy that should be enough ... sort of like how driving a beater is not a big target for car theft ...
Sometimes a beater is easier to steal... don't assume :biggrin:
Of course it might be ... a beater might have less value to the owner, hence that nickname ... the owner might make less effort in securing it ... but it still could be a solid link in someone's transportation chain ... bike or car
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:-X :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Saw some pics today of the bike lanes on Atkinson, down towards Warren and Kinney. They look good (except for the lack of parking) and there is no need for metal skateboard railings or even curbs in my opinion. Used the ones on Government St and South Main yesterday; no curbs; they also work great; far more people using those than the other crazy route for the new ones.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 6:03 pm Saw some pics today of the bike lanes on Atkinson, down towards Warren and Kinney. They look good (except for the lack of parking) and there is no need for metal skateboard railings or even curbs in my opinion. Used the ones on Government St and South Main yesterday; no curbs; they also work great; far more people using those than the other crazy route for the new ones.
So much expense that could have made such a difference to several thousand people. Instead we get US Department of Defense quality of assurance specifications that we all have to pay for and will be utilized by .0025% of the people that have to pay for it.
Does anyone care to dispute that in the next 5-8 years, there will be posts right here on Castanet complaining about the 10.5 million dollars that is being spent to remove the useless 8.5 million dollar lake to lake bike lane project built in 2022 because now with a majority of people using electric vehicles ....we need the bike lane footprint to install electric charging stations at a cost of 8.5 million?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
spooker

Post by spooker »

twobits wrote: Sep 25th, 2022, 5:27 pm
XT225 wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 6:03 pm Saw some pics today of the bike lanes on Atkinson, down towards Warren and Kinney. They look good (except for the lack of parking) and there is no need for metal skateboard railings or even curbs in my opinion. Used the ones on Government St and South Main yesterday; no curbs; they also work great; far more people using those than the other crazy route for the new ones.
So much expense that could have made such a difference to several thousand people. Instead we get US Department of Defense quality of assurance specifications that we all have to pay for and will be utilized by .0025% of the people that have to pay for it.
Does anyone care to dispute that in the next 5-8 years, there will be posts right here on Castanet complaining about the 10.5 million dollars that is being spent to remove the useless 8.5 million dollar lake to lake bike lane project built in 2022 because now with a majority of people using electric vehicles ....we need the bike lane footprint to install electric charging stations at a cost of 8.5 million?
What is the source of data for these conclusions? Or just conjecture?

EVs are not a solution to the ills we have ... they solve a single issue while just continuing to let us indulge in our first world entitlement .... while I look to enjoy an EV in the next 3-5 years it still won't alleviate congestion and it will still not give me the exercise my body needs ... which is all handled nicely with my bicycle ....
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

twobits wrote: Sep 25th, 2022, 5:27 pm
I see far less conjecture in your prediction than I saw in the conjecture this particular bike project would solve problems or provide a net-positive benefit for Penticton!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Instead of the absurdly cluttered bike lanes the City installed, then could have come up with so many better options that would have offered cyclists better protection, less signage, much harder to damage.
https://kelowna10.com/watch-see-the-lat ... in-kelowna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rf5Fgc8y9k
https://www.google.com/search?q=best+bi ... 7&dpr=1.13 That simple search would have given them so many ideas that would have been simpler and more effective.

The City's intent is great, but the execution could have only have been done by inept bureaucrats supported by inept politicians hiring inept consultants.
spooker

Post by spooker »

dreamon wrote: Sep 26th, 2022, 3:42 pm Instead of the absurdly cluttered bike lanes the City installed, then could have come up with so many better options that would have offered cyclists better protection, less signage, much harder to damage.
https://kelowna10.com/watch-see-the-lat ... in-kelowna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rf5Fgc8y9k
https://www.google.com/search?q=best+bi ... 7&dpr=1.13 That simple search would have given them so many ideas that would have been simpler and more effective.

The City's intent is great, but the execution could have only have been done by inept bureaucrats supported by inept politicians hiring inept consultants.
How is the first link different from this project? About the only thing is a concrete separator instead of the metal ....I'd agree that is more durable to the driving skills of people in cars ...

With regards to the second link, doing cycle tracks on both sides of the street would have removed more parking ... and on one-way streets the bi-directional lane makes it a bit more simple ...

Municipal governments have to deal with the infrastructure they have ... all of the examples shown in your last link are great examples of purpose-built protected infrastructure with the situation in mind ...
65deluxe
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 65deluxe »

Anyway you look at it, its a colossal waste of 10-15 million tax payer dollars. Dumbest shhh Ive ever seen. Almost as dumb as those who defend it.
"The most powerful governments in the world can't solve homelessness.
But they can change the earths temperature if you pay more taxes."
spooker

Post by spooker »

65deluxe wrote: Sep 26th, 2022, 6:49 pm Anyway you look at it, its a colossal waste of 10-15 million tax payer dollars. Dumbest shhh Ive ever seen. Almost as dumb as those who defend it.
Why do people need to inflate the numbers beyond what is published? Someone knows something the rest of us don't?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

65deluxe wrote: Sep 26th, 2022, 6:49 pm Anyway you look at it, its a colossal waste of 10-15 million tax payer dollars. Dumbest shhh Ive ever seen. Almost as dumb as those who defend it.
The figure you quote may not be totally accurate (but its likely darned close) and we all know how major projects ALWAYS go over budget and this one won't be any different. There are actually very few who live here, pay taxes here and are employed here who are defending the *&^%$#@ bike lanes. I'm hoping to learn more in the coming days about which folks who are running for council are against this project proceeding; if that becomes known they will be getting my X plus many other ones on the ballot next month.
spooker

Post by spooker »

XT225 wrote: Sep 26th, 2022, 9:14 pm
The figure you quote may not be totally accurate (but its likely darned close) and we all know how major projects ALWAYS go over budget and this one won't be any different. There are actually very few who live here, pay taxes here and are employed here who are defending the *&^%$#@ bike lanes. I'm hoping to learn more in the coming days about which folks who are running for council are against this project proceeding; if that becomes known they will be getting my X plus many other ones on the ballot next month.
Yes, questioning the "facts" put forward by some is "defending" the bike lane ...
65deluxe
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 65deluxe »

spooker wrote: Sep 26th, 2022, 7:53 pm
Why do people need to inflate the numbers beyond what is published? Someone knows something the rest of us don't?
Inflated? The last number I was told was 13 million. And this comes from a city employee.
"The most powerful governments in the world can't solve homelessness.
But they can change the earths temperature if you pay more taxes."

Return to “South Okanagan”