How long until churches lose charitable status and pay tax

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

How long until churches lose charitable status and pay tax

Post by sooperphreek »

with the huge properties some churches in town have wouldnt it be wise for municipalities to tax the churches instead of raising taxes on homes? not to mention the church offshoots like old folks homes on some of those properties creating income for these organizations being sheltered from taxation? i think that if the churches want the benifits of no taxation they should have to be under guidelines and prove what they are doing in their immediate community instead of sending money away to missionaries that do nothing for the communities the church organization is in. there should be set stipulations and if they dont meet them they should have tax shelters revoked.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: how long until churches loose chairitable status and pay tax

Post by Nebula »

Church buildings and the land under them are exempt from property taxes under the Community Charter 220 (1)(h). Municipalities must grant the tax exemption.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

[quote="writerdave"]Church buildings and the land under them are exempt from property taxes under the Community Charter 220 (1)(h). Municipalities must grant the tax exemption.[/quote]

Is that community charter law federal or provincial Dave?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Provincial. There are two basic provincial laws that set up and govern how municipalities/regional districts/improvement districts operate: The Local Government Act and the Community Charter.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Couple more questions if you don't mind.

Does the Federal gov. dictate that Provinces can't allow municipalities to tax church owned properties?
If not, are there any provinces that do tax church owned properties or revenue?

Pretty sure I know the answer to the 2nd question.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Boda wrote:Does the Federal gov. dictate that Provinces can't allow municipalities to tax church owned properties?

Not that I am aware of. I believe the mandate comes from the provincial government.

If not, are there any provinces that do tax church owned properties or revenue?

Good question but I don't have an answer. I surmise no provinces do that.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

quote]

Good question but I don't have an answer. I surmise no provinces do that.[/quote]

I surmise same. Can you imagine any government allienating that many votes?
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: How long until churches lose charitable status and pay tax

Post by JonyDarko »

Not soon enough.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Boda wrote: Feb 23rd, 2008, 6:43 pm
writerdave wrote:Church buildings and the land under them are exempt from property taxes under the Community Charter 220 (1)(h). Municipalities must grant the tax exemption.

Is that community charter law federal or provincial Dave?
Apparently there are two property tax exemptions for churches: One is applied Provincially, and the other is at the discretion of the City. (Watch or attend city council meetings in the fall of each year, and see for yourself):

1- Exempted under provincial Community Charter noted above: The portion of building/land footprint used as area of worship, like the main church auditorium hall and related bathrooms etc. For example this might be only 25% of a large multi-use building, and say 5% of the overall land area.

2- Exempted Permissively by yearly discretion of city council: All the rest of the building(s)/land. Fully taxable at market value like any other property, and is often the largest portion of the property, including the residual of the land under the building, and the parking lot etc.
Council does not have to give any tax permissive exemption at all. More likely, council could give a partial exemption, for example 50% permissive exemption on a specific church property, or maybe say 50% exemption for all churches.

Also, some churches have lots of excess land on-site that could be used as like a high-rise condo site, which is a fully taxable portion.

Several churches are veiled business enterprises that attempt to exploit lax tax rules. Some are not self-serving and there to inclusively help the greater community.

If you have concerns about awarding city exemptions, then attend the fall council meeting where these are individually decided upon, and present your concerns to support council making a logical decision.
:admin:
Last edited by nepal on Jun 12th, 2023, 9:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

impo this subject is probably another one of those political suicide things, politicians probably think about doing it... then say wait a minute I want my pension.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Nothing like digging up an old topic.
All the original commenters are probably dead and buried, don't care about churches anymore.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”