Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Post by Catsumi »

Excellent Thinktank! A pal of mine had access to gooseberries one year only, didn’t have a clue what to do with them. A willing and able Skunk, I made jam, and lordy, it was the best jam ever. If you have extras….

Blackberries: so easy to make jam and juice, simple job. To juice, just wash berries well, drop them into a big pot with water to cover plus one inch, mash them, and simmer until berries have given all they can. Pour through sieve and bottle [freeze if you will], excellent for jelly making later or use juice to cut your vodka. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Old Sailor
Board Meister

Post by Old Sailor »

Catsumi wrote: Sep 19th, 2022, 6:01 pm use juice to cut your vodka. :biggrin:
Sacriledge to cut Vodka.
Hello Darkness my old friend...I stood up too fast again!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I've been clipping back the sunflowers and grapevines. I have to move two pink blueberries bushes. And get the raspberries thinned out somewhat. So much to do this Fall.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I put my strawberries in the ground. 3 long railing planters, 4 hanging pots. Filled one garden bed up completely! They went into the one I had used for onions, beets & kohlrabi. I know we're not expecting frost for a while, but I also know if I had put it off I'd be rushing or have missed my window.

I need to plant my fall garlic. But I want to plant them in the area currently overgrown by dahlias. And covered by the grape (which desperately needs to be cut back). I lost a few tubers last year, so this year I'm going to try it with this tutorial http://markcullen.com/dahlias-digging-dividing-storing/ - we shall see.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Lady tehMa wrote: Oct 4th, 2022, 7:59 am I put my strawberries in the ground. 3 long railing planters, 4 hanging pots. Filled one garden bed up completely! They went into the one I had used for onions, beets & kohlrabi. I know we're not expecting frost for a while, but I also know if I had put it off I'd be rushing or have missed my window.

I need to plant my fall garlic. But I want to plant them in the area currently overgrown by dahlias. And covered by the grape (which desperately needs to be cut back). I lost a few tubers last year, so this year I'm going to try it with this tutorial http://markcullen.com/dahlias-digging-dividing-storing/ - we shall see.
When are you thinking of planting your garlic?
With this warm weather it's completely screwed up plans.

I'm in a condo now and thinking of trying garlic in planters, but also hoping for a community garden though that may not come until November.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

bb49 wrote: Oct 4th, 2022, 8:19 pm
When are you thinking of planting your garlic?
With this warm weather it's completely screwed up plans.

I'm in a condo now and thinking of trying garlic in planters, but also hoping for a community garden though that may not come until November.
What I've read is "end of September to end of November"

https://garlicseed.ca/pages/how-to-plan ... h-columbia

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/blogs/ga ... dom/garlic

https://vancouversun.com/homes/gardenin ... ian-minter

It isn't happening this weekend, might happen next. That's how most of my gardening happens, off-the-cuff :130:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Yesterday morning I had a lull in my workload, so I actually got out and planted the garlic I had set aside for planting! :200:

I am delighted and not a little surprised that I managed that. :biggrin:

Most of what I planted was either garlic forgotten in the garden and already sprouting (now separated and replanted) and the larger garlic I had set aside for planting from my harvest. I have no idea what varieties I have. But I was given a head of Music and a head of Red Russian by friends who made it to the Grindrod Garlic Festival, so I'm excited to see how those grow.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Last year I got garlic in super late and was surprised how well it worked out. I harvested decent heads of garlic but I do know that earlier is better.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Usually, I'm pushing it for planting date.

And often the cloves I plant aren't all that big :p

The music in particular had massive cloves, and I chose the largest of my harvest to plant. Plus the smaller "already sprouting" ones I missed harvesting for whatever reason. They're all in particular areas, so I ought to be able to tell where I planted what.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have changed my trellis/arbor motif from summer mode to winter.

Capture 1.jpg
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Looks good Alan! And ahead of the curve. I have not changed one flower bed yet.

My task today is pulling in most of the tomatoes. I'm trying to let the tiny ones stay out there a bit longer. And move strawberries and get an entire garden bed dumped.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Queen K wrote: Oct 13th, 2022, 6:52 am Looks good Alan! And ahead of the curve. I have not changed one flower bed yet.

My task today is pulling in most of the tomatoes. I'm trying to let the tiny ones stay out there a bit longer. And move strawberries and get an entire garden bed dumped.
Thanks. I used to try and grow strawberries here before, they just became duck feed.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Wow - you have your work cut out for you! And Alanjh, that's amazing!

I have tomatoes to bring in, they're going strong. I probably should get the hoses blown out, too (though it doesn't look like frost will hit soon).

I still have strawberries growing! And blackberries, goji berries, and raspberries. :up:

My hazelnuts have given me empty shells for 2 years running now, I may fell them in the spring. :-X
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I brought in all the Scarlet Runner Beans last night. Still got raspberries.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”