Guru

Satellite view of Pacific Northwest fires

Post by Frisk »

September 2nd.png
Frisk
Guru

Re: Satellite view of Pacific Northwest fires

Post by Frisk »

Fires in the Ross lake and Manning park area near the US/Canada are producing the dark smoke that you can see to the west.

September 2nd 2.png
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Frisk wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:03 pm Fires in the Ross lake and Manning park area near the US/Canada are producing the dark smoke that you can see to the west.
Thank you.
I was wondering where the smoke came from since I was sure it didn't come from the new fire in Penticton.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

PoplarSoul wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:18 pm
Frisk wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:03 pm Fires in the Ross lake and Manning park area near the US/Canada are producing the dark smoke that you can see to the west.
Thank you.
I was wondering where the smoke came from since I was sure it didn't come from the new fire in Penticton.
I think a little bit of it is from the fire near penticton. It's mostly from the US fires though.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Frisk wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:22 pm
PoplarSoul wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:18 pm

Thank you.
I think a little bit of it is from the fire near penticton. It's mostly from the US fires though.
There's quite a lot of smoke coming from the Blue Mountain fire in Penticton. Kicked up just after 4 this afternoon.

Thanks for the images, Frisk.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

rustled wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:26 pm There's quite a lot of smoke coming from the Blue Mountain fire in Penticton. Kicked up just after 4 this afternoon.

Hey rustled, yeah it's difficult to tell how much is from blue mountain on the satellite view because it's underneath the smoke from the US fires. Some of it could be from keremeos creek as well, apparently it's active on the west flank.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Frisk wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:39 pm
rustled wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:26 pm There's quite a lot of smoke coming from the Blue Mountain fire in Penticton. Kicked up just after 4 this afternoon.

Hey rustled, yeah it's difficult to tell how much is from blue mountain on the satellite view because it's underneath the smoke from the US fires. Some of it could be from keremeos creek as well, apparently it's active on the west flank.
Yes, there's definitely smoke coming from south and west of the Blue Mountain fire. Fortunately the smoke isn't dropping into the valley, though, just making for dark and orange skies.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Frisk wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:22 pm
PoplarSoul wrote: Sep 2nd, 2022, 6:18 pm Thank you.
Yes.
The dark smoke was so high up in the sky is why I didn't think it came from Penticton.
But agree that some might be from Penticton as well. Valley bottom.
I don't smell smoke. Yet. :D
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The air here in downtown Vernon is vile from dust and now a smoke haze. Orange sunset.

Please come rain…please!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

September 2nd 2.png
The big culprit yesterday was the Parks Fire, which crashed over the border in dramatic fashion yesterday. I've been watching this for days because it's in an area that will exhibit extreme fire behaviour.
Untitled-1.jpg
ETA: The Parks Fire is Washington State's designation. In BC, it's apparently the "Heather Lake Fire", because they were monitoring Heather Lake, (As of August 21st) put a dot on the map and apparently didn't notice the blowup of the Park Fire early last week. (August 30th)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Doesn't matter much what they call it... it burned hot yesterday and travelled quite a bit against the terrain in the southwest flow.

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScri ... asp?ID=891

From what I can see, using the shortwave window, this fire (whatever you want to call it) is the hottest burning and most aggressive fire in Southwestern BC today, even with this upper level low traveling over us. I suspect this one will be a spectacular show tomorrow.
Untitled-3.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thick air, blue to grey here in Vernon.

Will rain ever come?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Some interesting weather about to hit the Heather Lake (Parks Fire) Incident, but this isn't that...
A cold front passing through Southern B.C. Wednesday is bringing gusting winds and drier air, which could cause an increase in existing fires' behaviour over the next couple days.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/384076 ... ase#384076

The real sporty weather happens overnight Friday, early Saturday with the passage of a relatively rare thermal low northward from Oregon State into Washington State. In and of itself, not rare, in Northern California/Southern Oregon. Extending this far north, meh, fairly rare. It will cause some exceptionally dry outflow winds and the Heather Lake fire, which has been walking East for the last few days, will likely change course 180 degrees. And of course, with the rotation comes a whole lot of uncertainty.

Like I said, interesting.
Untitled-6.gif
Untitled-8.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Satellite imagery from this evening. Looks the same as it did a month and a half ago. Very smokey down by the coast.

Satellite Oct. 16th.png

Return to “Fire Watch 2022”