‘Planet killer’ asteroid spotted hiding in the sun’s glare

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Tyrian-Quill
Board Meister

‘Planet killer’ asteroid spotted hiding in the sun’s glare

Post by Tyrian-Quill »

Astronomers have spotted three near-Earth asteroids that were lurking undetected within the glare of the sun. One of the asteroids is the largest potentially hazardous object posing a risk to Earth to be discovered in the last eight years.

The asteroids belong to a group found within the orbits of Earth and Venus, but they’re incredibly difficult to observe because the brightness of the sun shields them from telescope observations.

To avoid the sun’s glare, astronomers leaped at the chance to conduct their observations during the brief window of twilight. An international team spied the space rocks while using the Dark Energy Camera located on the Víctor M. Blanco 4-meter Telescope located at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile.

Their findings were published Monday in The Astronomical Journal.

One of the asteroids, called 2022 AP7, is 1.5 kilometers (0.9 miles) wide and has an orbit that could bring it within Earth’s path in the future, but it’s difficult for the scientists to know when.
“Our twilight survey is scouring the area within the orbits of Earth and Venus for asteroids,” said lead study author Scott S. Sheppard, an astronomer at the Earth & Planets Laboratory of the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington, DC, in a statement.

“So far we have found two large near-Earth asteroids that are about 1 kilometer across, a size that we call planet killers.”
Scientists determined that the asteroid crosses Earth’s orbit, but it occurs when Earth is on the opposite side of the sun – this pattern will continue for centuries since it takes the asteroid five years to complete an orbit around the sun. But over time, the asteroid’s orbital movement will be more in sync with Earth’s. Scientists don’t know the asteroid’s orbit with enough precision to say how dangerous it could become in the future, but for now, it “will stay well away from Earth,” Sheppard said.

A near-Earth asteroid measuring 1 kilometer (0.6 mile) or larger “would have a devastating impact on life as we know it,” he said. Dust and pollutants would fill the atmosphere for years, cooling the planet and preventing sunlight from reaching Earth’s surface.

“It would be a mass extinction event like hasn’t been seen on Earth in millions of years,” Sheppard said.
Interesting....
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. – George Bernard Shaw
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: ‘Planet killer’ asteroid spotted hiding in the sun’s glare

Post by Bsuds »

So when will they hit us up with an Earth killer asteroid tax? :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Tyrian-Quill
Board Meister

Post by Tyrian-Quill »

Bsuds wrote: Oct 31st, 2022, 3:32 pm So when will they hit us up with an Earth killer asteroid tax? :biggrin:
am not sure but if anyone thinks of fighting such a tax, they best consider the alternative 🤨
NASA has already proven that it is possible to redirect an asteroid:
As a part of NASA’s overall planetary defense strategy, DART’s impact with the asteroid Dimorphos demonstrates a viable mitigation technique for protecting the planet from an Earth-bound asteroid or comet, if one were discovered.
Source: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa ... fense-test :smt045
      :130:
      The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. – George Bernard Shaw
      Sonny Taylor
      Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Bsuds wrote: Oct 31st, 2022, 3:32 pm So when will they hit us up with an Earth killer asteroid tax? :biggrin:
      Right on, but please don't give them any ideas. :up:
      Sonny Taylor
      Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Tyrian-Quill wrote: Oct 31st, 2022, 5:20 pm am not sure but if anyone thinks of fighting such a tax, they best consider the alternative 🤨
      Pretty ambiguous; could you be a little more clear?
      Tyrian-Quill
      Board Meister

Post by Tyrian-Quill »

Sonny Taylor wrote: Nov 1st, 2022, 6:04 am
      Tyrian-Quill wrote: Oct 31st, 2022, 5:20 pm am not sure but if anyone thinks of fighting such a tax, they best consider the alternative 🤨
      Pretty ambiguous; could you be a little more clear?
      🤔 nope, leaving that to your imagination.
      GordonH
      Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Even with every telescope on our planet looking for next asteroid that will wipeout life on earth. It’s very small percentage of vastness of area needed to see something coming.

Eventually it will happen, it’s just a matter of time.
      I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
      Tyrian-Quill
      Board Meister

Post by Tyrian-Quill »

GordonH wrote: Nov 1st, 2022, 7:11 am Even with every telescope on our planet looking for next asteroid that will wipeout life on earth. It’s very small percentage of vastness of area needed to see something coming.

Eventually it will happen, it’s just a matter of time.
      One way or another... can't fend-off the inevitable forever.
      Jlabute
      Guru

Post by Jlabute »

oldtrucker wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 10:06 am Planet killer at 1000m ?
      Assuming it was made of fairly dense rock and not a rubble pile, it hit Winnipeg at 70 deg. angle, 16 km/s, the crater would be about 13 km across. Probably at least a 7 magnitude quake but the air blast wouldn't even break the windows.
      It’ll be more of a question of how much dust goes in to the atmosphere. How much will the temperature drop and for how long due to blocked sunlight.
      Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
      alanjh595
      Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

"This comet is what we call a planet-killer."
      So says one of the characters in the trailer for Don't Look Up, Netflix's new sci-fi disaster movie that begins streaming on Dec. 24, in which space junk threatens to wipe out our planet.

It's a scene we've seen on screen before: Giant object hurtles toward us, scientists ring alarms, everyone panics trying to figure out how to prevent total catastrophe. A pair of thrillers in 1998 were based on a similar premise — remember Deep Impact and Armageddon, anyone?
      https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/planet- ... -1.6286914
      Bring back the LIKE button.
      GordonH
      Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Curiosity... would knowing life on our planet is about to wiped out, or would not knowing be better.

More then likely it will be the latter.
      I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
      Babba_not_Gump
      Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

GordonH wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 12:35 pm Curiosity... would knowing life on our planet is about to wiped out, or would not knowing be better.

Well know it was coming would bring on some great parties. Others would be running around like it was a purge and then there would be the religious crazies.
      All somewhat entertaining.
      I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
      I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
      77TA
      Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

bb49 wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 3:11 pm
      GordonH wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 12:35 pm Curiosity... would knowing life on our planet is about to wiped out, or would not knowing be better.

Well know it was coming would bring on some great parties. Others would be running around like it was a purge and then there would be the religious crazies.
      All somewhat entertaining.
      It's all fun and games until the toilet paper runs out...

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”