Bulleted lists aren't bulleted

Comments about the discussion board. Site-related comments should be addressed to the applicable department through the Contact Us form.
spooker

Bulleted lists aren't bulleted

Post by spooker »

I'm pretty sure the previous version rendered the bullets properly ... but just had to add a little something when I used this markup today ... when I inspected the elements the "list-style" was "none" ... might want to tweak the stylesheet ;)
  • bullet point 1
  • bullet point 2
  • ordered point 1
  • ordered point 2
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Bulleted lists aren't bulleted

Post by rustled »

spooker wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 5:30 pm I'm pretty sure the previous version rendered the bullets properly ... but just had to add a little something when I used this markup today ... when I inspected the elements the "list-style" was "none" ... might want to tweak the stylesheet ;)
  • bullet point 1
  • bullet point 2
  • ordered point 1
  • ordered point 2
For the ordered, you need to add what you want it to use (1 for numbered, a for lettered, A for capped letters) after the "=" in the "list=" code.
So
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
I haven't figured out how to make it bullet, though.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
spooker

Post by spooker »

rustled wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 6:31 pm For the ordered, you need to add what you want it to use (1 for numbered, a for lettered, A for capped letters) after the "=" in the "list=" code.
So
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
Thanks for that ... I could've sworn the ordered list defaulted to numbering previously ... but since I've slept since then now I question my memory ... didn't quite use that feature enough
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

spooker wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 9:23 pm
rustled wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 6:31 pm For the ordered, you need to add what you want it to use (1 for numbered, a for lettered, A for capped letters) after the "=" in the "list=" code.
So
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
Thanks for that ... I could've sworn the ordered list defaulted to numbering previously ... but since I've slept since then now I question my memory ... didn't quite use that feature enough
:130:
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Just tried to use a list this morning and that was a fail ...

Digging into I saw that for both <ol> and <ul> elements the list-style is set to "none"

Possible to fix the stylesheets? My list came out looking like a <quoteblock> just being indented with not spacing between the <li> elements ...
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

So
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
• First there is this one
  • • Then this one
    • Then this one
• (= <hold alt>"0149" <release alt>)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

my5cents wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 9:54 am
So
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  1. ordered point 1
  2. ordered point 2
  • • Then this one
    • Then this one
Aha! I couldn't figure out how to do the second indent, but when I quoted you, it showed me what you had done. Thanks!
spooker

Post by spooker »

Yes, the alt-keys work to generate the symbols, but the hanging indent is lost, the line/paragraph spacing is lost
  • • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
  • • You’re drinking a Salty Dog? How’d you like to try the real thing? Brwaack! Polly want a cracker? … Oh, wait. That’s for Talk Like a PARROT Day.
  • • Have ya ever met a man with a real yardarm? Wanna shiver me timbers? Not all treasure is silver and gold The rougher the seas, the smoother we sail. Ahoy! you know, thats the 2nd time I’v watched that man sail away with my ship. Pirate’s code: First freedom and the captain. Second the loot, third woman and the rum and at the end no mercy if they not immediately surrender! How much does the pirate pay for an ear piercing? … A buccaneer! (buck- in- ear…)
We're trying to hack the behaviour back to what it is by default ... I know, I just need to lower my expectations
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

No need to hack anything. Just let me know about issues and I’ll take a look into them during my work hours or on my own time if I’m feeling up to it. I’ll look into this lists issue tomorrow.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Troy wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 11:46 am No need to hack anything. Just let me know about issues and I’ll take a look into them during my work hours or on my own time if I’m feeling up to it. I’ll look into this lists issue tomorrow.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Way to go TROY !

Bring back the LIKE button.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Troy wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 11:46 am No need to hack anything. Just let me know about issues and I’ll take a look into them during my work hours or on my own time if I’m feeling up to it. I’ll look into this lists issue tomorrow.
Thanks ... wasn't sure why the forum stylesheets were defined with that but you'd be the one to figure it out!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The second indent works fine. Just apply a second "list", as I've done here:
spooker wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 11:09 am Yes, the alt-keys work to generate the symbols, but the hanging indent is lost, the line/paragraph spacing is lost
  • • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
    • You’re drinking a Salty Dog? How’d you like to try the real thing? Brwaack! Polly want a cracker? … Oh, wait. That’s for Talk Like a PARROT Day.
  • • Have ya ever met a man with a real yardarm? Wanna shiver me timbers? Not all treasure is silver and gold The rougher the seas, the smoother we sail. Ahoy! you know, thats the 2nd time I’v watched that man sail away with my ship. Pirate’s code: First freedom and the captain. Second the loot, third woman and the rum and at the end no mercy if they not immediately surrender! How much does the pirate pay for an ear piercing? … A buccaneer! (buck- in- ear…)
We're trying to hack the behaviour back to what it is by default ... I know, I just need to lower my expectations
It's easier to see the difference if you quote both in the same post, and compare. Here's my5cents doing that. No need for the [*]
my5cents wrote:
  • • Then this one
    • Then this one
spooker

Post by spooker »

rustled wrote: Nov 7th, 2022, 7:21 am The second indent works fine. Just apply a second "list", as I've done here:
spooker wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 11:09 am Yes, the alt-keys work to generate the symbols, but the hanging indent is lost, the line/paragraph spacing is lost
    • You’re drinking a Salty Dog? How’d you like to try the real thing? Brwaack! Polly want a cracker? … Oh, wait. That’s for Talk Like a PARROT Day.
It's easier to see the difference if you quote both in the same post, and compare. Here's my5cents doing that. No need for the [*]
my5cents wrote:
  • • Then this one
    • Then this one
Here's hoping they just reapply the default behaviour so that we don't have to go sharing hacks to make our posts look the way we want ...
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

spooker wrote: Nov 7th, 2022, 8:47 am
rustled wrote: Nov 7th, 2022, 7:21 am The second indent works fine. Just apply a second "list", as I've done here:

Here's hoping they just reapply the default behaviour so that we don't have to go sharing hacks to make our posts look the way we want ...
IIRC, the default behaviour wasn't working properly in the new version.

Troy made an adjustment at our request so we could use numbering again, as I recall.

The workaround of having to add our own bullet isn't that difficult, IMO.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Bulleted lists should display as expected now:
  • item 1
  • item 2
  • item 3

Return to “Feedback and Requests”