Multi-purposing, Reusing, Recycling, Repurposing, Donating ...

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
sitting rabbit
Fledgling

Re: Multi-purposing, Reusing, Recycling, Repurposing, Donating ...

Post by sitting rabbit »

Queen K wrote: Sep 11th, 2022, 5:13 pm Spent hours at ArtWalk today. I am always impressed by the range of emotions art can evoke from every corner of the psyche. My personal artform re-purposes wheelbarrows into planters. Nine in a row, different flower colour arranges every year. I know for a fact many artists are living the re-using, re-evisioning, recycling themes every step of the way through their art. Always awed by the sheer multi-talent of those whom incorporate objects into their visions for their mixed media creations.
Wonderful :up:
Thanks for sharing :up:
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Copy of OKANAGAN VINTAGE FAIR.png
If you like to buy used items, the Okanagan Vintage Fair is coming up on Oct 1. I always find neat things here.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Tyrian-Quill
Board Meister

Post by Tyrian-Quill »

Recently while viewing of the Inquiry, I’ve been tending to cutting garden seed identifying sign-stakes for gardens next spring.

Drew up a template, place it on a selected area of a plastic (unrecyclable because it originally contained dairy products etc,)
    container and with heavy duty scissors, cut-out the sign.

Have several shoe boxes full, of 6 per bundle, sets, and I donate them to the donation shops: MCC, Salvation Army, Hospital Auxiliary, etc. and they can charge for them or give them away... their choice.

Also have made book/page tabs using similar method… I checked Youtube, and Google search images for ideas of styles/template-designs for the page tabs, they are actually quite easy to do 🙂
      ttfn

P.S. For the book tabs- I tried all sorts of designs but I settled on one I like the best- it is a length of plastic with a properly placed (three sided) (a all the way through) slit cut into it, so to allow a section to be gently moved out (kind-of like a paper clip) to slip a page corner in, making it a clip, a tab and a page marker :D It can be made in any shape really, oblong, square triangle, cat with paws, what ever suits your liking and purpose. Can be cute stocking stuffers ;-)

You can search for images: floating tabs, transparent tabs etc. many require laminating or gluing though, but I just wanted the simplest to make, and I make they from semi-firm plastic so they won't slip off the page.
      The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. – George Bernard Shaw
      Catsumi
      Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Photos of your finished worked would be great for those of us needing to be judgmental, Ty

[icon_lol2.gif]
      Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
      Tyrian-Quill
      Board Meister

Post by Tyrian-Quill »

Catsumi wrote: Nov 8th, 2022, 5:07 pm Photos of your finished worked would be great for those of us needing to be judgmental, Ty

[icon_lol2.gif]
      :135:
      I took 5 pics & will post them>>> just as soon as I (climb out of this [*^+!] computer-rabbit-hole) figure out how to save them in appropriate format (old pc new phone, etc etc) transfer, and then will upload them for you. Sorry for delay... have cataracts and eyes are giving me grief past day or so - hopefully will get pics up by tomorrow night.
      The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. – George Bernard Shaw
      Catsumi
      Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

We’re waiting…..(taps fingernails and flicks tail in impatience)

:D
      Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
      Tyrian-Quill
      Board Meister

Post by Tyrian-Quill »

Catsumi wrote: Nov 8th, 2022, 7:29 pm We’re waiting…..(taps fingernails and flicks tail in impatience)

:D
      :up: .....got-it :135: [icon_lol2.gif]
      Queen K
      Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

WELP finally Kelowna got one. Easy peasy recycling, bag, label, collect cash.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... ill#410411
      As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
      Glacier
      The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Every single dump in the Cariboo regional district has a "share shed" even out in the middle of nowhere. My dad found a bike for my oldest son years ago there. My mom has picked up some great books there. It's crazy that other regional districts haven't adopted this district wide. It's been working up there for at least 15 years.
      "No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
      - Douglas Murray
      Glacier
      The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

sitting rabbit wrote: Sep 3rd, 2022, 11:38 am Years ago most “fixed” (whatever) rather than running right out to buy a new one.
      We should be going back to that, and I really think we are because of YouTube. I never grew up fixing cars or appliances, but now I can fix most things with a YouTube video.

Reusing is the best option. I have three vehicles, and 2 of them have 395,000km on them. Same goes for my son's car. We are in a battle for 400,000 km.

And it's a good thing I didn't have Collision on the van. My son drove it off the road last winter. If I had Collision coverage they probably would have written it off because of its age. I fixed it up for $500... and give my son the bill.

My previous van I purchased when it had 80,000km and drove it until it had over 400,000 km. Given the stupid tax on used vehicles, I avoid giving the government such money when possible on principle.

As for appliances, kinda stupid to replace hot water tanks every 10 years. Replace the sacrificial anode every few years... or better yet, replace it with an electronic one that will last 30 years. You tank will easily last 30 years that way.

The dishwasher has given me trouble a few times, but repaired it for $30 or less every time. The washing machine died a few times too, but fixed it for $50 or less. Well, the one time the bearing went and that took my like 20 hours to take apart and put back together, though if I were to do it again it would take half the time.

Greece things so they don't wear out. Hinges, locks, and anything else that moves.
      "No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
      - Douglas Murray
      Queen K
      Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Please donate stuff like this so I can find it. PLEASE!

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/thrif ... index.html
      As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
      normaM
      The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

this. I still think about this
      bought for the stone.. worth millions
      https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/flea- ... h-millions
      I wish I had a faberge egg or two
      If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
      GordonH
      Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Isn’t this pretty well the whole idea behind the Antique Road Show, besides the shock and awe.
      I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
      normaM
      The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I never watch that show
      Flea markets, yard sales, no - no time or energy. But Gordon if you have a faberge egg you wanna gift me:/
      If not I can settle for a Birkin
      If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
      GordonH
      Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

normaM wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:51 am I never watch that show
      Flea markets, yard sales, no - no time or energy. But Gordon if you have a faberge egg you wanna gift me:/
      If not I can settle for a Birkin
      Here’s the deal normaM I will sell you this one for only 33 million
      I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”