Renewable Energy Advances

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Re: Renewable Energy Advances

Post by captkirkcanada »

Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Real news regarding renewable advances...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 79295.html
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Canada second only to china now in battery tech

Research firm BloombergNEF pushed Canada’s position in its annual global ranking of battery-producing countries ahead of everyone else but China.

“That’s something I’m going to use very much on my trip in Asia, to say we have what Asia needs,” Champagne said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9294209/cana ... ply-chain/
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

I will file this under hopefull lol.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62982113

Be pretty cool if they can work on it and prove it is worth doing .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Harm Reduction Is Cool
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The wind turbine failure rate is going through the roof. These things are just a waste of public money. Stop the insanity.
Faulty components created a €472 million ($A28 million) hole in Siemens Gamesa’s December quarter result, making up more than half of the nearly billion-euro loss for the period. Of that total, €187 million was due to a reduction in revenue with the remainder due to warranty provisioning.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/wind-turbin ... cc88839e92
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

spooker wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 12:37 pm Saw this in the reporting about the G-20 conference ...
Indonesia signed deals with international lenders and major nations on Tuesday that will bring billions of dollars in funding to help the country increase its use of renewable energy and reduce its reliance on coal.
It's only relying on coal because the majority of the population can't afford anything else! I don't see solar, wind, geothermal or ocean energy advances ever replacing coal, nuclear or hydropower, the demand for energy is just too great.
spooker

Post by spooker »

DANSPEED wrote: Mar 13th, 2023, 4:06 pm
spooker wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 12:37 pm Saw this in the reporting about the G-20 conference ...
It's only relying on coal because the majority of the population can't afford anything else! I don't see solar, wind, geothermal or ocean energy advances ever replacing coal, nuclear or hydropower, the demand for energy is just too great.
Considering that coal had a higher LCOE than onshore wind-generation and was also beat our by solar generation in 2020 I'm not sure how that assertion makes sense ...
Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 4.40.50 PM.png
https://www.iea.org/reports/projected-c ... icity-2020
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

spooker wrote: Mar 13th, 2023, 4:43 pm
DANSPEED wrote: Mar 13th, 2023, 4:06 pm
Considering that coal had a higher LCOE than onshore wind-generation and was also beat our by solar generation in 2020 I'm not sure how that assertion makes sense ...

At what cost?
spooker

Post by spooker »

DANSPEED wrote: Mar 13th, 2023, 7:01 pm
spooker wrote: Mar 13th, 2023, 4:43 pm

At what cost?
LCOE == levelised costs of generating electricity
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

spooker wrote: Mar 13th, 2023, 8:22 pm
DANSPEED wrote: Mar 13th, 2023, 7:01 pm
At what cost?
LCOE == levelised costs of generating electricity
LOL!
SAILINGONE
Board Meister

Post by SAILINGONE »

captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 1:31 pm Interesting , great for bc .

https://biv.com/article/2022/12/yvr-bec ... h-test-hub

:130:
The eco fantasisers are so short of technical facts & results where there fantasy has been utilized for grid utility purposes.
Solar & wind are great power generation options but very limited to personal & private generation requirements.
As a utility there are applications opportunities if the output limitations of typically 30% are acceptable, meaning the utility consumers can do without the 24-7-365 guarantee of power, in places where ambient temperature do not widely fluctuate and are comfortably averaging between 20 to 30 degrees C, mostly found in tropical and subtropical rural locations.
However when power is required 24-7-365, solar and wind needs 100% conventional back up and the cost of that infrastructure for wind & solar is a direct additional cost to the costumer, amortised over the 20 year life cycle of these installations.
Without huge funding from the taxpayers, wind and solar power makes little sense in climates like Canada and many states in the US, other than for personal & private use, example the energy source for an EV or residential hot water.
So two issues, if power black outs can be absorbed and are acceptable, without risks or compromise to the local rural customers and are in temperature stable environments, this is a viable option to consider.
In all other situations such as large cities, huge temperature fluctuations and 24-7-365 electric power requirement, solar & wind are difficult to justify economically for grid power. Just ask Ontario's electrical costumers about there experience with the Wynne/McGuinty regime, plus where is the scientific data that show that the air in Ontario is now reducing global warming.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Solar and Wind are not going to get much better at this point. They have basically hit their peak reliability and efficiency while offering very little return on investment... if any. The left is programmed to hate coal, gas, or anything 'fossil', yet still burn trees to the detriment of the environment. There is nothing that makes sense about the fearful left's irrational civilization-ophobia, and their persistent demands to kill forests, agriculture, and energy.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/03/23/ ... en-energy/

Well, we don't need more EV charging systems either. We need to wait until the technology has matured in to something useable, and then decide how to distribute power if that is what will be done 20 or 40 years from now. The irrational left is only wasting resources, time, and money mandating baby ideas.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Steinsman

Post by Steinsman »

I think it's important to consider all options when it comes to energy, including renewable sources like solar and wind. While it's true that they may have hit their peak efficiency, it's still worth investing in them as they offer a cleaner and more sustainable option for the environment. Plus, with advancements in technology, there's always the potential for further improvement. As for the argument about burning trees, I agree that it's not the best solution. However, it's important to remember that not all "left" individuals hold the same beliefs, and there are varying opinions on the matter. It's also worth considering alternative solutions, such as biomass energy, which utilizes waste materials to generate power.
DevonMckee

Post by DevonMckee »

Sounds good

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”