Coun. Isaac Gilbert

twobits
Guru

Coun. Isaac Gilbert

Post by twobits »

Ink is not even dry yet on election results and we already have two 6 to 1 Council votes with newbie Gilbert being the nay voice for both votes.
First......the motion by Konanz to get the numbers and location of releases from the OK Prison. What is wrong with that when Penticton has one of the highest per capita crime rates in the Province?? Councilor Isaac was the lone vote against. His concern....
My only concern with going with a motion like this is that it perpetuates that fear and stigma that people are coming into our community as criminals, and are causing the crime here yet, if we as society are saying to ourselves that jail is the punishment, I don't think we need to keep continuing punishing people who have come out of jail who are trying to rehabilitate their lives when they come back to their community."
This guy is shaping up to be a wacko social justice warrior on his second day of work.
Second,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The City's proposed bylaw limiting pets to 6 per household. I personally think 3 is a better number but that is not my discussion here. Rather it is Councillor Gilbert sole non support because the bylaw did not also allow cats to be confined because of wild bird predation.
The bylaw reasoning is to put a limit on the number of animals kept in a single family unit......not about confining any animal be it Cat, Dog, chicken, or bunny.......it is about how many can be on one property at the same time. Counc. Gilbert's comment....
Coun. Isaac Gilbert asked about cats that are free to roam at large, given a section of the bylaw that states no animal owner can permit the animal to cause the death of a person, wildlife or other domestic animal.

"These cats can have an effect on the bird populations, specifically the native population ... if we're allowing cats to roam the city at large, there's a possibility that they're going to kill wildlife in the community," Gilbert said.

The important point here is to recognize that the proposed bylaw was only number of animals per household.....not if we can just let them run free in the hood. Councillor Gilbert however was unable to understand that simple distinction. He voted no because he felt the issue should have been of greater scope than that that was on the table for a vote.

While he got outvoted, his early voting behaviour does not seem to indicate he feels he has a learning curve that he should wisely respect. IMO, this guy, while only one, is going to be a rabid social justice warrior that is without a doubt be a pain in the *bleep* and a wrench in many votes to come.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Coun. Isaac Gilbert

Post by Anonymous123 »

It sounds like it’s going to be a long four years.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

Anonymous123 wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 10:37 am It sounds like it’s going to be a long four years.
Yes a very lonnnngggg 4 years
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

twobits wrote: Nov 16th, 2022, 4:48 pm
While he got outvoted, his early voting behaviour does not seem to indicate he feels he has a learning curve that he should wisely respect. IMO, this guy, while only one, is going to be a rabid social justice warrior that is without a doubt be a pain in the *bleep* and a wrench in many votes to come.
Twobits. A rarity but I have to say I fully agree with your thoughts on this.

As an aside I typically am not a fan of housecats roaming the city. Not out of fear of the wildlife per say, but I think it is irresponsible and dangerous to the cat in my opinion. I'd be terrified that if my cat got out, I'd never see her again.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

soupy wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 2:33 pm

As an aside I typically am not a fan of housecats roaming the city. Not out of fear of the wildlife per say, but I think it is irresponsible and dangerous to the cat in my opinion. I'd be terrified that if my cat got out, I'd never see her again.
Soup, I fully recognize the pain you endured to support a post by made by myself.......and so you know, I do fully appreciate that comment support. Sometimes principles are more important than ideology or partisanship.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

To further expand on Councilor Gilbert's comments....

"These cats can have an effect on the bird populations, specifically the native population ... if we're allowing cats to roam the city at large, there's a possibility that they're going to kill wildlife in the community," Gilbert said.

This guy is worried about domestic cats roaming the City and the destruction they can have. I wonder if he feels the same about our domestic Deer roaming the City at large with the huge damage to property assets they cause, the fear they cause people to be afraid of going into their own yards, the fear they have of taking little shitspoop dog for a walk, as he does the domestic cats.
This guy on the job for a cpl of days has already shown us that even pinheads can get elected to public office if they keep trying long enough.

soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

twobits wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 6:29 pm
soupy wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 2:33 pm

Soup, I fully recognize the pain you endured to support a post by made by myself.......and so you know, I do fully appreciate that comment support. Sometimes principles are more important than ideology or partisanship.
HAHA. No pain endured. Quite certain we likely agree on many other issues. :up:
A Concerned Citizen
Lord of the Board

Post by A Concerned Citizen »

Gilbert's election expenses ...

2018 - $4,463 in costs, and
2021 - $14,560 in costs.
2022 - Not available yet

Spends $19,023 and who knows how much in 2022 ... mostly other people's money. Gotta wonder how much of our money he will waste over the next four years on pet projects and programs that can have at best dubious value ...

https://contributions.electionsbc.gov.b ... 142211.pdf
https://contributions.electionsbc.gov.b ... 135650.pdf
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

A Concerned Citizen wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 12:18 pm Gilbert's election expenses ...

2021 - $14,560 in costs.
2022 - Not available yet

Spends $19,023 and who knows how much in 2022 ... mostly other people's money. Gotta wonder how much of our money he will waste over the next four years on pet projects and programs that can have at best dubious value ...

Welcome to municipal (and all) politics.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

A Concerned Citizen wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 12:18 pm Gilbert's election expenses ...

2021 - $14,560 in costs.
2022 - Not available yet

So who were the idiots that donated over 14k in 2021 and lord knows how much in 2022 for this obvious pinhead"

bobbyrog
Fledgling

Post by bobbyrog »

I wonder how you will feel when your hometown is top of the list and people begin to assume or insinuate you're a criminal simply for residing there?

Both of Gilbert's points are sound logic. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 20th, 2022, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
"Contrived quote from a random historical figure which vaguely reinforces my ignorant beliefs to make me feel smart"
-Abraham Lincoln
maggiedoon
Fledgling

Post by maggiedoon »

twobits wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 4:14 pm To further expand on Councilor Gilbert's comments....

This guy is worried about domestic cats roaming the City and the destruction they can have. I wonder if he feels the same about our domestic Deer roaming the City at large with the huge damage to property assets they cause, the fear they cause people to be afraid of going into their own yards, the fear they have of taking little shitspoop dog for a walk, as he does the domestic cats.
This guy on the job for a cpl of days has already shown us that even pinheads can get elected to public office if they keep trying long enough.
His concerns about birds being killed by outdoor cats aren’t completely unfounded but just wait till he sees what happens to the rat population in Penticton if he bans outdoor cats.
Last edited by maggiedoon on Nov 22nd, 2022, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

maggiedoon wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 7:01 am
twobits wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 4:14 pm To further expand on Councilor Gilbert's comments....

His concerns about birds being killed by outdoor cats aren’t completely unfounded but just till he sees what happens to the rat population in Penticton if he bans outdoor cats.
Yes very true outdoor -stray cats do keep the resident rat- mouse population some what under control .
bobbyrog
Fledgling

Post by bobbyrog »

twobits wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 6:28 pm
bobbyrog wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 12:28 am I wonder how you will feel when your hometown is top of the list and people begin to assume or insinuate you're a criminal simply for residing there?

Both of Gilbert's points are sound logic. Disagreeing with sound logic is admitting you lack intelligence.
Do you want to try that post again and see if you can make make a point that actually makes some kind od sense or has some logic attached to it.
Cuz if that is your best rebuttal to my post and you are a Isaac supporter, you are making yourself look very challenged as well as dragging Isaac down to your level of comprehension. And that is not helpful to the guy you are trying to support.
You have yet to provide any legitimate reason as to why you disagree with Gilbert, or offer an alternative. You've simply complained that he's a "wacko social justice warrior". You don't seem to understand his perspective or what he stands for, yet you're already condemning him... why, because he's not hurling slurs?

removed. Personal attack removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Nov 23rd, 2022, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack removed.
"Contrived quote from a random historical figure which vaguely reinforces my ignorant beliefs to make me feel smart"
-Abraham Lincoln
A Concerned Citizen
Lord of the Board

Post by A Concerned Citizen »

I'd say Gilbert is about, or perhaps even more, useless than Richard cannings, MP that just spends everyone else's money hoping that higher taxes will solve all problems ... these guys are pretty Johnny on the spot during elections but tend to disappear in between ...

Return to “South Okanagan”