Trump running for 2024

Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Trump running for 2024

Post by Spiff »

BOT

Woah, what a chronicle.
As Donald Trump Announces His 2024 Run, a Look Back at His Presidency and Impact

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/arti ... n-america/

Nov. 18, 2022, update: U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland on Friday announced that he has appointed a special counsel, Jack Smith, to run part of the Department of Justice’s probe into the events surrounding Jan. 6, 2021, as well as an investigation into the handling of classified documents at former President Donald Trump’s Florida estate.

Former President Donald Trump has announced that he will once again seek the nation’s highest office, days after some within the Republican Party blamed him for the party’s weaker-than-expected performance in the 2022 midterms.

Through more than 20 documentaries dating back to 2016, FRONTLINE has built a unique public record of Trump’s reshaping of the GOP, his previous battles with the Department of Justice and a special counsel, and his impact on American life, politics and democracy — including the aftermath of his refusal to concede his 2020 presidential loss to Joe Biden and his role in efforts to overturn the election results that culminated in the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol.

Explore our collected documentaries below.

. . .

These and hundreds of additional FRONTLINE documentaries are available to stream on our website, in the PBS Video App and on FRONTLINE’s YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@frontline/sear ... 0Democracy
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

rustled wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 1:51 pm
Silverstarqueen wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 12:28 pm I certainly felt some cognitive dissonance when I watched Pence's TV appearance. He talks about what a great time he had working with Trump, seems to skip over the part where Trump cheered on the guys who attacke the capitol and put his own family and himself at serious risk, does not denounce Trump for the 3 million lies he told. Then when asked about Trump for Pres, he says, there might be better choices for president in 2024. Not, "Hell No!" So that tells me a lot about the guy. Initially I thought, Oh well great, an alternative who could beat Trump and he's at least in touch with reality. But really he's a Trumper, but will probably try for the job himself, God Willing. If not Trump, then Me!
One of the interesting things about cognitive dissonance is how we respond when we sense it.

For example, if Pence doesn't strenuously object to Trump as expected, someone who firmly believes the "Trump cheered on the guys who attacked the capitol and put Pence's family and Pence himself at serious risk" narrative may not see this cognitive dissonance as a reason to question that belief - it simply becomes a reason to think "Pence must be this kind of person". Whereas someone more skeptical of what we've been told about who did what on January 6th sees this cognitive dissonance as more reason to question the entire "Trump cheered on the guys who attacked the capitol and put Pence's family and Pence himself at serious risk" narrative, what we've been told and how we've been told it.

The subsequent dismissal of Pence as "a Trumper" then seems to me to be another offshoot of the "cult of personality" influencing much of the thinking about Trump - a form of stereotyping and bigotry, with anyone who doesn't strenuously reject Trump is categorized as someone who can't be considered "in touch with reality".
No, I said, I think that Pence IS at least "in touch with reality". I am not following some narrative when I say Trump cheered on the guys who attacked the Capitol and threatened Pence's life, certainly terrorized the members who were sitting, and then hiding afraid for their safety, including Pence's children and wife. Trump is on video inciting the crowd, there is testimony that he was implored by several people to stop the attack, others who gave up trying to convince him. There are Trump's comments to the effect that Pence deserved to be put in that position of danger because he "didn't do the right thing". So to boil that down to my seeing Pence as part of some "cult of personality". No, he's going to have to answer for why he is not denouncing the terrible actions of his President that day. If he does not clearly separate himself from those actions on that day, and denounce them, then he is just part of the problem. He's giving Trump a pass on this, for reasons that thinking people ought to find out.How deeply is he implicated in what went on that day? He's trying to give the impression that he was just doing his level best that day during the insurrection, and yet he won't hold the chief in any role of responsibility.Is Trump entirely at fault? Well the buck stops with the guy at the top, but certainly Trump had a raft of enablers who did not stop him, or make him do the right thing in spite of himself. So Pence has to pick a lane here,either he is with Trump or he's agin him.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 8:09 am
rustled wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 1:51 pm

One of the interesting things about cognitive dissonance is how we respond when we sense it.

For example, if Pence doesn't strenuously object to Trump as expected, someone who firmly believes the "Trump cheered on the guys who attacked the capitol and put Pence's family and Pence himself at serious risk" narrative may not see this cognitive dissonance as a reason to question that belief - it simply becomes a reason to think "Pence must be this kind of person". Whereas someone more skeptical of what we've been told about who did what on January 6th sees this cognitive dissonance as more reason to question the entire "Trump cheered on the guys who attacked the capitol and put Pence's family and Pence himself at serious risk" narrative, what we've been told and how we've been told it.

The subsequent dismissal of Pence as "a Trumper" then seems to me to be another offshoot of the "cult of personality" influencing much of the thinking about Trump - a form of stereotyping and bigotry, with anyone who doesn't strenuously reject Trump is categorized as someone who can't be considered "in touch with reality".
No, I said, I think that Pence IS at least "in touch with reality". I am not following some narrative when I say Trump cheered on the guys who attacked the Capitol and threatened Pence's life, certainly terrorized the members who were sitting, and then hiding afraid for their safety, including Pence's children and wife. Trump is on video inciting the crowd, there is testimony that he was implored by several people to stop the attack, others who gave up trying to convince him. There are Trump's comments to the effect that Pence deserved to be put in that position of danger because he "didn't do the right thing". So to boil that down to my seeing Pence as part of some "cult of personality". No, he's going to have to answer for why he is not denouncing the terrible actions of his President that day. If he does not clearly separate himself from those actions on that day, and denounce them, then he is just part of the problem. He's giving Trump a pass on this, for reasons that thinking people ought to find out.How deeply is he implicated in what went on that day? He's trying to give the impression that he was just doing his level best that day during the insurrection, and yet he won't hold the chief in any role of responsibility.Is Trump entirely at fault? Well the buck stops with the guy at the top, but certainly Trump had a raft of enablers who did not stop him, or make him do the right thing in spite of himself. So Pence has to pick a lane here,either he is with Trump or he's agin him.
Were you saying you still think Pence is in touch with reality, even though he hasn't denounced Trump after Trump "put his own family and himself at serious risk" on January 6? Sorry, that's not the way it came across to me.

It still sounds to me as though the thinking is: If Pence who worked alongside Trump and knows Trump better than any of us isn't completely against Trump - after Trump "put his own family and himself at serious risk" - and after everything we've been told to believe about Trump! - Pence has to explain himself, or he's "obviously" as bad as we've been told Trump is.

IMO, there's still some cognitive dissonance involved here. It certainly doesn't sound like Trump did "put [Pence's] own family and himself at serious risk", after all. What else might we have been told about Trump - and his actions that day - that are biased manipulations intended to stir up emotional responses impervious to rational skepticism?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 19th, 2022, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

*removed*
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 3:14 pm

Don't beat yourself up over those, we won't hold it against you! :biggrin:
:up: :up:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 19th, 2022, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

When someone denies trump tried to hijack the 2020 election it is time to accept they know what went on and wanted it to happen as much as traitor trump did .

All the folks hamming up trump running again are the same folks who wanted to overthrow a free and fairly elected president .

Caseclosed
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

VaxisSafe wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 2:37 pm

Support isn't all about donations. Being a fan in support of his policies, mindset and lying = being a supporter
So in this case - pointing out the insane lies and general stupidity of those who constantly lie about Trump and make themselves look like massive fools on a consistent basis = being a supporter. Interesting concept. I'd just stick to the moniker that I like pointing out how stupid people makes themselves look by letting Trump live rent free in their heads, especially given we have so many actual problems in our own country with the massive idiots we have in charge here on a federal level. Thanks anyway.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
VaxisSafe
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by VaxisSafe »

*removed*
Reason: Response to removed post.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 8:09 am If he does not clearly separate himself from those actions on that day, and denounce them, then he is just part of the problem. He's giving Trump a pass on this, for reasons that thinking people ought to find out.How deeply is he implicated in what went on that day? He's trying to give the impression that he was just doing his level best that day during the insurrection, and yet he won't hold the chief in any role of responsibility.Is Trump entirely at fault? Well the buck stops with the guy at the top, but certainly Trump had a raft of enablers who did not stop him, or make him do the right thing in spite of himself. So Pence has to pick a lane here,either he is with Trump or he's agin him.
My thoughts are that Pence is hoping that the presidential race will be between DeSantis and others (sans Trump) and himself and that since the religious crowd were behind Trump, he's hoping they will sway their devotion towards him, now that Trump is gone, and get their votes. Pence forgiving Trump is a good religious deed.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

PoplarSoul wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 9:27 am
Silverstarqueen wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 8:09 am If he does not clearly separate himself from those actions on that day, and denounce them, then he is just part of the problem. He's giving Trump a pass on this, for reasons that thinking people ought to find out.How deeply is he implicated in what went on that day? He's trying to give the impression that he was just doing his level best that day during the insurrection, and yet he won't hold the chief in any role of responsibility.Is Trump entirely at fault? Well the buck stops with the guy at the top, but certainly Trump had a raft of enablers who did not stop him, or make him do the right thing in spite of himself. So Pence has to pick a lane here,either he is with Trump or he's agin him.
My thoughts are that Pence is hoping that the presidential race will be between DeSantis and others (sans Trump) and himself and that since the religious crowd were behind Trump, he's hoping they will sway their devotion towards him, now that Trump is gone, and get their votes. Pence forgiving Trump is a good religious deed.
Yes this is exactly it. He knows the power of the evangelical voting block and wants them in his favour.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Please start a new thread to discuss Mike Pence. Thanks!*
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
VaxisSafe
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by VaxisSafe »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 19th, 2022, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

PoplarSoul wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 9:27 am
This makes a little more sense.

Return to “World”