Shelter for Homeless?

captkirkcanada
Banned

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by captkirkcanada »

This is one of his clueless quotes

Hamer-Jackson again pointed to the idea that social agencies are profiting from keeping people within Kamloops and not helping them solve their addiction issues — and that he could solve the issue by sending people out of Kamloops.

I propose we send him out of canada to north korea .

Mr clueless reid thinks being a addict and being without a home is same thing , plus he is a used car sales snake oil seller . Haha anither wannabee trump is all he is .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

captkirkcanada wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 8:51 am This is one of his clueless quotes

Hamer-Jackson again pointed to the idea that social agencies are profiting from keeping people within Kamloops and not helping them solve their addiction issues — and that he could solve the issue by sending people out of Kamloops.

I propose we send him out of canada to north korea .

Mr clueless reid thinks being a addict and being without a home is same thing , plus he is a used car sales snake oil seller . Haha anither wannabee trump is all he is .
So who did you vote for in order to keep the "status quo" in Kamloops?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

the truth wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 9:08 am https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/397371 ... encampment time to stop these pop up camps
Oh yes. It is a just a matter of time until one of these fires turns into a big-time casualty situation.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

the truth wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 9:08 am https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/397371 ... encampment time to stop these pop up camps
Providing homeless shelters is the only solution.
Vancouver, Kelowna, everywhere.
All year around.
Get them off the streets.
No camps allowed.
After that?
I'm not sure.
I mean there are a few options I suppose but are they working?
That's for another thread I guess.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

PoplarSoul wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 10:37 am
All year around.
No camps allowed.
After that?
I'm not sure.
OK, great idea. Now if you have any rules, sobriety or drug free no one wants to live there. Would we be building shelters for nothing then??

In many cases this way of life they will not change. They are addicted and you can't help them. They will have to die or one day wake up and go for help. We know there are places for help, however there is no line up.

It is like the guy with the sign, homeless and hungry. Offer them a sandwich and they will throw it away or tell you where to go.
There no what?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

All year around.
No camps allowed.
After that?
I'm not sure.
The first rule for by-laws and police, do not let the first tent get set up.
Cities need a "move along" law, and enforce it.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Ken7 wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 6:21 pm We know there are places for help, however there is no line up.
Then why when someone who wants help has to wait to get into one of these places that have no line up?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 7:39 pm
Ken7 wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 6:21 pm We know there are places for help, however there is no line up.
Then why when someone who wants help has to wait to get into one of these places that have no line up?
I can't answer that for you....never had to go there.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

bb49 wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 7:18 pm
All year around.
No camps allowed.
After that?
I'm not sure.
The first rule for by-laws and police, do not let the first tent get set up.
Cities need a "move along" law, and enforce it.
While I agree, they cannot simply move them along forever. Shelters - whether wet or dry shelters - are needed so that the majority of these people do in fact have places to go.

Due to financial and mental health, there's a great deal more homeless people now than there were a decade ago, and safe, appropriate housing and shelters haven't caught up.

While I'm not in favor of tent cities, it shouldn't be particularly surprising to anybody that they are there.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I still am on the fence about wet shelters. If there was only dry shelters I think more ppl would get on board re building more facilities
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

normaM wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 5:16 am I still am on the fence about wet shelters. If there was only dry shelters I think more ppl would get on board re building more facilities
Wet shelters exist because we dont have a fed mandated safe supply . If we did wet places would not be needed.

I agree with the premise dry is the preferrd model but we need to pressure the feds to allow safe supplys .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

All year around.
No camps allowed.
After that?
I'm not sure.
Vagrancy law was removed from the Criminal Code in 1983 so the "move along" or "get the heck out of town" is no longer there. It would also be so unconstitutional to treat people of misfortune poorly by saying you're not welcome to sleep in front of my store, my Waterstreet condo, our beautiful public park.

Ebby will make this all vanish, just give him time.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

Ken7 wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 6:21 pm
All year around.
No camps allowed.
After that?
I'm not sure.
OK, great idea. Now if you have any rules, sobriety or drug free no one wants to live there. Would we be building shelters for nothing then??

In many cases this way of life they will not change. They are addicted and you can't help them. They will have to die or one day wake up and go for help. We know there are places for help, however there is no line up.

It is like the guy with the sign, homeless and hungry. Offer them a sandwich and they will throw it away or tell you where to go.
There no what?
I agree with much of what you are saying. There are some people who have been living an addicted street entrenched life for awhile and have settled into that lifestyle. So they don't want to change and they don't want to be where there are any rules. They don't want to take medication that may help with their mental health. These are usually the ones who cause disorder and disruption if they do go into shelters or housing. These are the people who make it difficult and disheartening for workers trying to maintain safety within a shelter setting. This is why workers burn out, quit, refuse to go back to that field of work. Does society really owe the disruptors a place to destroy?

But for those who do want to get off of drugs or who have a combination of mental health and addiction there are not enough resources to help them. For a decade or more not enough public financing and oversight has gone into affordable public resources to help people. The public facilities that could help them were closed down hoping private enterprise would pick up the baton, that hasn't happened, many of those vulnerable people ended up on the street some becoming addicted. Now we are crying for public funding to build smaller facilities/housing with addiction and mental health supports.

There are line ups of people who want help, just not visible line ups, rather there are wait lists to get into affordable housing with supports for long term "addiction recovery" or housing that provides help to maintain a regular schedule of taking medication to help with mental health. More people are acquiring brain injury from the drugs they are taking and from lack of oxygen to the brain when they overdose. Many of these people don't have the cognitive ability to realize the drugs are killing them or what to do about it.

The majority of funding for this type of housing is on the coast, the Okanagan has very few places for rehab and recovery and yes there are wait lists to get in those which are here.

In addition to all of that we are suffering from an affordable housing crisis. Over the past decade+ not enough focus has been put on building affordable rentals, affordable housing. In our current race to provide affordable housing we can't forget the need for supportive recovery/dry housing and supportive housing for people with complex needs (mental health and addiction illness).

Sorry for the long post.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

See, the ppl who have been looking after those in need just opened another 30 beds , no mayor involved . Bchousing , mustard seed staff , and the alliance church for offering the actual space .

https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/K ... ore-church
Harm Reduction Is Cool

Return to “Central Okanagan”