What are the differences between Win10 and 11?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
DataCruncher
Übergod

What are the differences between Win10 and 11?

Post by DataCruncher »

Is there that much of a difference, that software vendors can't serve both?
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
captkirkcanada
Banned

Re: What are the differences between Win10 and 11?

Post by captkirkcanada »

As far as me the avg user is concerned , not much diff . Supposed be better for games and security wise is supposed be better but i cant say from knowledge myself . I just dont know .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Win 11 is nasty... one thing I despise (unless they rolled it back... but Win 11 will NOT work on older but more than capable CPU's... that is crappy to the tenth level, IMHO. :swear: :cuss: :swear:
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

So Microcrap develops a new O/S, and then leaves the consumer scrambling, not to mention the labyrinth for navigation.
My beef is that some 3rd party sftwr upgrades won't even work in 'compatibility' mode.
Whatever happened to that!?
So anyone who doesn't run to the store and dump a wad of cash on a new pooter is fkd.

Is it a gimmick so everyone who produces software can share the buck?
For example, if someone sends you a file, or you pay for one on-line and don't have the 'latest' version, it can't be accessed.
This forces people to then, well, you know the story.

I just can't make fair sense of it, and not that they (MS) couldn't had dealt with the 'endless' bs security issues long ago.

Honestly, if I didn't have so much invested in Windows type software, I'd look for something else.
Really annoying to say the least.

Rant partially over :-X [icon_lol2.gif]
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

hozzle wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 3:16 pm Win 11 is nasty... one thing I despise (unless they rolled it back... but Win 11 will NOT work on older but more than capable CPU's... that is crappy to the tenth level, IMHO. :swear: :cuss: :swear:
I dread to ask....
but what CPU does it require,
and how soon will that too change? (sarc)

Between that nonsense and software rentals, fk em' all. I can work with what I have; gets the job done, and they'll never get another dime out of me till I'm good and ready.

Rant almost over // Part 2 // Service Pack B // version 6.3.00.2.89.2
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

DataCruncher wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 4:54 pm
hozzle wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 3:16 pm Win 11 is nasty... one thing I despise (unless they rolled it back... but Win 11 will NOT work on older but more than capable CPU's... that is crappy to the tenth level, IMHO. :swear: :cuss: :swear:
I dread to ask....

Between that nonsense and software rentals, fk em' all. I can work with what I have; gets the job done, and they'll never get another dime out of me till I'm good and ready.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... processors

it appears as if 8th gen or newer are supported... which is bully sticks... an i7 core 7700, for example should be more than capable of running the poopie new OS, imho.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

hozzle wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 5:35 pm
DataCruncher wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 4:54 pm

I dread to ask....

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... processors

it appears as if 8th gen or newer are supported... which is bully sticks... an i7 core 7700, for example should be more than capable of running the poopie new OS, imho.
When I looked into it I seem to recall that the biggest hurdle was it demands a newer design of motherboard, which of course means new CPU and RAM as well.
Hardware requirements
To install or upgrade to Windows 11, devices must meet the following minimum hardware requirements:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC).
RAM: 4 gigabytes (GB) or greater.
Storage: 64 GB* or greater available storage is required to install Windows 11.
Extra storage space might be required to download updates and enable specific features.
Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver.
System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable.
TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0.

Display: High definition (720p) display, 9" or greater monitor, 8 bits per color channel.
Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use.
Looking at the above list, my CPU has 6 cores @3.33Ghz, RAM I have 12GB, Storage I have 500GB SSD along with 2TB data storage, Graphics card has Direct X 12, Display is 28" 4K, have high speed optic internet connection, so the only thing messing me up is motherboard not having UEFI secure boot as everything else far exceeds what's on the list.

Definitely annoying because I'm sure if I did upgrade I'd notice very little improvement in my computer experience for the $1K it would cost.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Just google using windows 11 on a non-compliant machine (TPM, CPU, RAM). There are work-a-rounds to install Windows 11 via registry hack, use Rufus to bypass TMP requirement, or bypass Windows 11 TPM check from Windows Update.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My understanding is there are workarounds available to install Win 11 on an older computer.

From a user standpoint it's not much difference so no real need to upgrade that I'm aware of.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

If you have any proprietary software be cautious... some reports about right click menu functionality and that sort of thing (sucks if your software seldom has updates or a large team to manage updates)
- M. de Voltaire
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 7:16 pm My understanding is there are workarounds available to install Win 11 on an older computer.

From a user standpoint it's not much difference so no real need to upgrade that I'm aware of.
That's what I received (yesterday) when I contacted the sftwr company about theirs.
They presented me some navigation tips on editing a particular file of theirs in notepad, as a possible 'workaround' , but it failed.

That said, they came back this morning and offered to issue a refund which I accepted.
Nice to experience good support.

Digital River GBP GMBH
The money has been refunded to your PayPal balance.

:up:
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

kelownman wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 7:13 pm Just google using windows 11 on a non-compliant machine (TPM, CPU, RAM). There are work-a-rounds to install Windows 11 via registry hack, use Rufus to bypass TMP requirement, or bypass Windows 11 TPM check from Windows Update.
I spent the afternoon reading all sorts of articles on how to beat the Win 11 system requirements, but in the end what it appears to come down to, is since my motherboard is BIOS based as opposed to UEFI, and it doesn't have TPM, several of the geeks said that it would be wiser to just leave it alone.

They said that the registry hacks may or may not work, plus you could find yourself getting an update that borks the system completely resulting in blue screens.

They also mentioned that feature wise there wasn't really anything much new in Win 11 to justify the risk.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

The work-a-round to use/install Windows 11 is for those who choose to use it. If you love Windows 10 you have until October 2025 before the end of the updates. Many users will have bought new hardware between 2022 and 2025 and assuming Windows 11 is still being used then it won't be an issue to install it. Software authors have to keep their programs current if they want to retain their users.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Win11 - Win10 = 1

:biggrin:

Windows, once again, a little extra flexible for all the bigger monitors people like to purchase. You can download Android apps I hear. I haven't done it myself.\, and I'm just beginning to use it.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Don't do the work-arounds to force Win11 to install/run on hardware that it's not ment for. This WILL come back to bite you. For example: Every time there is a major version update those work-arounds get over-written and you'll have to attempt to put them back which may or may not work and/or take a few days for someone to figure it out and post a new work-around.

From what I've seen, Windows 11 isn't a huge change, similar to Win7 transitioning to Win10.

Differences in Win11 seem to fit into 2 categories:
1) Security improvements - hence the requirement for TPM.
2) User Interface changes - nothing major but you can tell that they're putting more and more effort into optimizing the OS for use with a touchscreen device. For example: Buttons for copy/paste instead of right-click or clicking on "File - Copy"

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”