In the end...

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

In the end...

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

What happens when you die?

If you go to church as a faithful Christian every Sunday, but cheat on your spouse, lie a little bit, steal a little bit but generally live a good life.

Or you are agnostic/atheist and don't go to church and live a good honest life helping others.

Or you never heard of religion and lived your life in the wild jungles living by "survival of the fittest"?

Something is missing from this puzzle.
eMeM
Übergod

Re: In the end...

Post by eMeM »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:What happens when you die?

You're dead. You know nothing, feel nothing, are nothing.
Then the resurrection - you're shown the error of your ways. Now take your pick. Eternal death or Eternal life.

I'm sure every so called "Christian" on this forum is going to disagree with my above statement, but that's fine. I doubt even half of them even read the bible except all the fluff about "sweet baby Jesus" and whatever else they want to hear to justify to themselves that Jesus loves them and they're going to heaven no matter what they do.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

1. If you go to church as a faithful Christian every Sunday, but cheat on your spouse, lie a little bit, steal a little bit but generally live a good life.

2. Or you are agnostic/atheist and don't go to church and live a good honest life helping others.

3. Or you never heard of religion and lived your life in the wild jungles living by "survival of the fittest"?

Something is missing from this puzzle.

1. You can do all those things but if you repent and ask for Christ's salvation before you die,
I believe you're good to go. :127:

2. you go to hell :runforlife:

3. they also go to hell :ohmygod:
eyepop
Lord of the Board

In the end...

Post by eyepop »

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love
You make.

beatles
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

I don't know. And if I claim to know, it is but a 'theory', and we won't know until it happens.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
sleepdeprived
Lord of the Board

Post by sleepdeprived »

It's over when you're dead.

So think twice and always be nice.
People will remember you fondly.
"You can't be a non-conformist if you don't drink coffee."
Trey Parker
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

mm34 wrote:

You're dead. You know nothing, feel nothing, are nothing.
Then the resurrection - you're shown the error of your ways. Now take your pick. Eternal death or Eternal life.

I'm sure every so called "Christian" on this forum is going to disagree with my above statement, but that's fine. I doubt even half of them even read the bible except all the fluff about "sweet baby Jesus" and whatever else they want to hear to justify to themselves that Jesus loves them and they're going to heaven no matter what they do.

:dyinglaughing:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

1. If you go to church as a faithful Christian every Sunday, but cheat on your spouse, lie a little bit, steal a little bit but generally live a good life.

2. Or you are agnostic/atheist and don't go to church and live a good honest life helping others.

3. Or you never heard of religion and lived your life in the wild jungles living by "survival of the fittest"?

4. Or you picked the wrong religion - the 'other' one. Oops!
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

I suppose the closest we can come to an idea is to look at those who have died and come back or had a near death experience.

One of the most controversial subjects discussed among the great philosophers, scientists, and religious leaders of our day is the near death experience (NDE). The similarities that exist within 80% of all documented near death experiences make some scientists rethink theories of human consciousness.

What Causes a Near Death Experience
Near death experiences stem from a variety of causes: comas or near-death accidents, dreaming, psychedelic drugs, extreme stress, surgical procedures, seizures, deathbed visions, brain stimulation and even sexual orgasm. These experiences tend to push the mind (or soul) into a threshold where a whole new dimension of being can be accessed. This state of being varies, but some common factors exist in virtually all NDEs.

Commonalities Among NDEs

Many report periods of personal confusion, disorientation or a void in their surroundings just as the experience begins. There is a near blinding light that is comforting and familiar. Some see friends and relatives that have passed on and report having non-verbal communication with them. Some are shown images of places of great beauty and peace. The light also encompasses the friends and family resulting in a feeling of love far greater than they ever experienced on Earth. Many do not wish to leave the light and some claim to see and talk to Christ in the light on a non-verbal level (a type of cosmic telepathy). Though the descriptions of these places vary, they all are not in the earthly realm.

Are these experiences real?
While some scientists and skeptics would write these experiences off as nothing more than hallucinations, studies show that the similarities are so overwhelming that the near death experience is a phenomenon that needs to be recognized as “proof” that something exists beyond our physical bodies and conscious minds. Many of those who have had a NDE can describe perfectly what has transpired while they were in comas or under the effect of anesthesia. This leaves the scientific world at a loss for an explanation.

"Even a thought, even a possibility, can shatter us and transform us." – Nietzsche

http://paranormal.suite101.com/article. ... xperiences
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

Amor vincit omnia wrote:1. If you go to church as a faithful Christian every Sunday, but cheat on your spouse, lie a little bit, steal a little bit but generally live a good life.

4. Or you picked the wrong religion - the 'other' one. Oops!

Can that be applied to the question?

Do Christians have different NDE's than Muslims, Buddhists or atheists?

According to http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research06.html:

Many near-death accounts reveal that the religions of this world are merely an external path whose ideal is to lead people inward toward true spirituality. People often confuse religion with spirituality. Religion is the outward form of worship and spirituality is the inward form of worship. People who have a near-death experience often return less religious and more spiritual.

An example of the spiritual change that often takes place in near-death experiencers can be found in Tom Harpur's excellent documentary entitled Life After Death. In it, he profiles a minister named Ken Martin who had a near-death experience. Upon his return from his experience, he discovered that everything he had previously known - his ministry, his calling, everything - was insignificant in comparison to his experience with the afterlife.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Religion is the outward form of worship and spirituality is the inward form of worship

So they return more 'spiritual' which is the inward form of worship... something christians try to do every day ...thats good... these experiences tell us 2 things...either the people are hallucinating... or there is something higher out there
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

i imagine that if and when you die that you will have to hear about all the wrongs you have committed and you wont be able to say hah!! you cant say that cuz its judgement!! because it will be god saying those things to you. and then we will see what the cest la vie spirituality has gotten us and how many lives we destroyed and people we hurt because we were living under the luxury of grace all our lives. all i know is i said the words and have my beliefs and i have fire insurance. and if im wrong then no loss.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

That's what you equate Christianity with, soopher? Fire insurance?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

i wonder what's the deductible?

he never mentioned christianity...

he could be jewish.
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

sooperphreek wrote:i imagine that if and when you die that you will have to hear about all the wrongs you have committed and you wont be able to say hah!! you cant say that cuz its judgement!! because it will be god saying those things to you. and then we will see what the cest la vie spirituality has gotten us and how many lives we destroyed and people we hurt because we were living under the luxury of grace all our lives. all i know is i said the words and have my beliefs and i have fire insurance. and if im wrong then no loss.

Do you get to watch the good things you did too?

Maybe it's preferable to do lots of wrongs - then you have a lifetime to re-live over again as you watch them all.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”