Innovations In Home Building

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Innovations In Home Building

Post by captkirkcanada »

This is a thread for innovative , new tech in home building . Any type is welcome from wood frame to made of ice if that is your thing .

I will start off with hempcrete blocks

https://www.hempcrete.ca/#:~:text=Hempc ... 0to%20come.

Hempcrete is an energy-efficient, low-impact, water-smart building material that offers a smaller carbon footprint than other home building materials. An alternative to concrete, which is very energy intensive, hempcrete can be an integral part of home building, using just enough energy to keep its occupants warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

https://www.treehugger.com/hempcrete-house-5113218

I like the fire resistance that a natural part of hempcrete and i like it uses a renewable base .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
captkirkcanada
Banned

Re: Innovations In Home Building

Post by captkirkcanada »

This is the company i worked for when they were in Abbotsford by the border crossing , it is how i also got to know jason from highway thru hell as we shared a office with aggressive towing .

http://www.moorelogandtimberhomes.com/W ... ders3.html

Now they moved out to tappen so if anyone wants to see the latest in loghouse building , i would point you at this company over the one in williams lake hehe . I was in on prolly 30 houses over 3 years until 9/11 happened .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

There are dozens of alternatives to concrete. Of course, there are many different types of concrete too and some having enormous structural strength. I suppose it would depend on the use case. Hemp is perhaps fine to structurally strengthen concrete, but, if it were popular, then you would have to grow massive amounts of hemp, use fertilizers, etc. Knowing whether or not you have gained an advantage in long-term mass production is harder to calculate.

Many things can easily seem like a good idea, until 50 years later you find problems. Product longevity comes from knowledge and experience.

https://www.bricsys.com/en-ca/blog/alte ... nstruction
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Just incase it wasnt clear even though it was in my first post , this thread is for new tech in house / home building . That is it . If you want to critisize what is posted in this thread , start a new thread . Everything that isnt a post on new tech only talking about that new tech isnt welcome in this thread.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/first-two-sto ... -1.6007960

Canadas first 3 d printed house which is a new tech in home building .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

The graph to the left demonstrates the ICS Shear Wall Test results compared to a Conventional (Stick Frame) Construction Shear Wall Test. As you can see, the testing equipment was unable to fail the ICS wall structure.

Structural Testing of Walls and Floors performed at the Gene D. Knudson Wood Engineering Laboratory Department of Wood Science and Engineering College of Forestry Oregon State University located in Corvallis, Oregon under the direction of Rakesh Gupta, Ph.D. Associate Professor, Wood Engineering/Mechanics and Milo Clauson Faculty Research Assistant.

Civil and Structural Engineer Jok Ang, P.E. overseeing testing at OSU states that based on his structural observations during load tests and evaluation of test results, the ICS structural components have met the IBC/UBC and ASTM testing criteria.

Ics construction proves to build a stronger house.
Harm Reduction Is Cool
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

This material has been known for years, we used it extensively and really like it. It is being used in Europe more than here and is very ecologically friendly and quite effective.
We call it styro crete.
We collected styrofoam scraps and waste, ground it into popcorn sized chunks and mixed it into a cement paste.
The cement ratio was one cement powder, two sand, and from three up to ten parts Styrofoam crumbs.
The result is a concrete that insulates but is not as strong as a standard mix, fireproof, insect proof and have had blocks of styrocrete outside used as sidewalk pavers and steps and we find that corners wear off but normal foot traffic is no problem.
I would gladly help anyone who wants to try making it. Our local cement plant owner saw an example which we used behind the fire place and chimney and was quite surprised. To use it structurally you would need an engineering cert, but as fill and non structural material it works fine.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Time tests what is really innovative or not. The geodesic dome house seemed like a good idea at the time. They are complex and were built for energy efficiency. A home no longer needs to be dome shaped to accomplish that. I think 3D printing won’t be the future for homes either. Too ugly and simplistic. If something is “innovative” because it sounds green, the chances are it is probably going to be a failure.

Personally, I think innovation in sound-proof insulations is a good step towards protecting people, and energy efficiency. Composite materials for decking to reduce painting. I’m all for less work at a reasonable cost.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Printing houses is in it's infancy, They are beginning to put trowels on the print head so that the walls are smoothed as they are formed. Given a few more years they will be much better as the tech develops.
the building trades are always slow to adopt new materials and methods.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”