Letter: Where are the churches?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Sol316
Fledgling

Letter: Where are the churches?

Post by Sol316 »

Where are the churches?
Nov. 8, 2022
https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/3 ... -churches-
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Re: Letter: Where are the churches?

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Understand the sentiment completely. Although I keep my beliefs just to *bleep* sanctimonious charlatans off. The problem is that church organizations and buildings are run as a business. As such these organizations treat the less fortunate with the same contempt as downtown businesses.

Another problem is that church organizations have a skewed view of scriptures that they cherry-pick. The modern church is name-it-claim-it prosperity gospel. Because of this obsession with success, wealth and tax evasion - it's no wonder that the organization puts Trump on a pedestal. It is a matter of carefully selecting or ignoring the sins people commit and the scriptures that support that.

People in church organizations need to look back at the Salvation Army movement. Gin was used by people to forget the lack of opportunity and social prejudice they faced. So the SA waited outside Gin Palaces and on the streets to help men be productive in society and in their families again. Their mission was to restore people.

Unfortunately, the Kelowna bible belt bubble is failing their community. And people that need somebody - anybody. Instead, these people and organizations are building huge buildings on property they sat on for years for a profit. Or taking out mortgages so they can spruce up their spaces and sound/av equipment. These are the priorities. In Jesus' name of course.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The above examples are just some of the reasons why I no longer identify as a Christian. Why would I want to identify with a group so full of hate and anger and ignorance?
Well this is the most ironic statement of the letter! Please tell me all the groups that you belong to so that I know not to join them.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Where were the churches during the scamdemic?
I have seen Christians deceived by conspiracy theories around COVID-19 and refuse to do the very simplest of things Jesus taught, which was to care for others before yourself.
I saw them doing the simplest things, like staying away from each other and wearing masks.
On videos.

I also saw Christians completely deceived by Bonnie the Conspiracy Henry.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Sol316
Fledgling

Post by Sol316 »

The letter writer (Mark Wereley) wrote: "The above examples are just some of the reasons why I no longer identify as a Christian."

So lemme get this straight.... because the local Christian churches in Kamloops are not offering to house the homeless; he had a Christian friend swear at him, Christian inaction, etc. he no longer identifies as a Christian?

What then? atheist? agnostic? other?

I thought a Christian is a follower/believer in Jesus, NOT a follower of Christians, or a believer in Christians! :smt045
Last edited by Sol316 on Nov 8th, 2022, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Sol316 wrote: Nov 8th, 2022, 7:24 pm The letter writer (Mark Wereley) wrote: "The above examples are just some of the reasons why I no longer identify as a Christian."
He's not a Christian any more, but he got four doses of the vaxine.
sigh.gif
Not giving any help to homeless doesn't bother me much. - it's important to pay the people in the church like any business does, so there's no money left over for homeless people.

But the thing that made me mad was any church that pushed the vaxine on people. That really made me mad.

Where are the churches? Doing what they always did. Evil. Franklin Graham looks like a wolf in this video.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Sol316 wrote: Nov 8th, 2022, 7:24 pm What then? atheist? agnostic? other?
I'd just be guessing that he still believes in the same god he believed in yesterday, but no longer wants to be affiliated with a specific faith based organization like a Christian church.

Doesn't mean he has to change his belief in his god though. I can't imagine a scenario where someone swears off belief in god due to somethings that have occurred in their church. People who love their god, won't abandon that belief.
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

I've attended at several different faith churches, I can learn from all of them, end of day I still believe in the same higher power I always have. Faith is an interesting thing, means you need to believe in something you cannot prove. I can't prove the sun will come up tomorrow, but I do have faith that it will, has a pretty good track record.
With the God thing, I won't know till Christ comes bk and proves it, no one "knows", all "faith" based. Not denying it, just waiting it out. We all know how to be decent humans, church can be a great place to discuss ideas, but I stop listening when minister sez "this is the only true church and gateway to heaven",
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

emc group wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 9:14 am I've attended at several different faith churches, I can learn from all of them, end of day I still believe in the same higher power I always have. Faith is an interesting thing, means you need to believe in something you cannot prove. I can't prove the sun will come up tomorrow, but I do have faith that it will, has a pretty good track record.
With the God thing, I won't know till Christ comes bk and proves it, no one "knows", all "faith" based. Not denying it, just waiting it out. We all know how to be decent humans, church can be a great place to discuss ideas, but I stop listening when minister sez "this is the only true church and gateway to heaven",
This is exactly why I quit attending church (I had been going to the Alliance Church) but was brought up as a Presbyterian. The minister was preaching that he HAD been a Presbyterian but had seen the light; now was an Alliance Pastor and the sermon that day was basically that anyone NOT an Alliance follower was never going to enter Heaven and would go to Hell. Yep, that did it for me. Still a Christian but I don't believe in that kind of rubbish.

The icing on the cake when I left the Alliance church that day was shaking the hand of the pastor and telling him that "I am a Presbyterian". Never went back to the Alliance, ever.
Last edited by pentona on Dec 5th, 2022, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^%%%There is only 1 true religion according to what Jesus said. He also said few are finding it. He also gave very clear things to look for in order to identify it. Again that’s just what’s in the Bible. Not saying anyone has to accept it. But again the proof is very convincing. I won’t post anything here but more than happy to discuss this in person.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 10:54 am ^^%%%There is only 1 true religion according to what Jesus said. He also said few are finding it. He also gave very clear things to look for in order to identify it.
But God gave everyone logical reasoning and told us to use our head. There is no one true religion,

But there are very clear things to show us which religion is NOT the true religion. All of them.
But one religion tried to say "WE ARE AT THE VERY END OF THE VERY END" and that proved to me they are as far from being a true religion as you can get.

Dead right
Board Meister

Post by Dead right »

Thinktank wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 2:38 pm But God gave everyone logical reasoning and told us to use our head
God did not give us anything we didn't already have and when people use their logical reasoning and got four doses of the vaxine good on them for using what god gave them to make Canada a better place...
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Hmmm wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 10:54 am ^^%%%There is only 1 true religion according to what Jesus said. He also said few are finding it. He also gave very clear things to look for in order to identify it. Again that’s just what’s in the Bible. Not saying anyone has to accept it. But again the proof is very convincing. I won’t post anything here but more than happy to discuss this in person.
There is only one true ring according to the Lord of the Rings series, you need more evidence then circular reasoning and hearsay " the bible is true because the bible says so". What proof, you don't have any proof, only claims.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

capleton wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 1:42 pm
There is only one true ring according to the Lord of the Rings series, you need more evidence then circular reasoning and hearsay " the bible is true because the bible says so". What proof, you don't have any proof, only claims.
There is in fact lots of proof the Bible is accurate.... But I wont waste my time with someone that only wants to argue about everything.... A big problem is what false religion represents and teaches as truth as found in the Bible when in fact it is not found in the Bible and they are wrong. Most religions are in fact enemys of God and the Bible.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Hmmm wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 2:10 pm
capleton wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 1:42 pm
There is in fact lots of proof the Bible is accurate.... But I wont waste my time with someone that only wants to argue about everything.... A big problem is what false religion represents and teaches as truth as found in the Bible when in fact it is not found in the Bible and they are wrong. Most religions are in fact enemys of God and the Bible.
That's because every other civilization has the same/similar mythos. Like the flood. Or many others. The bible has truths that are simply corroborated by traditions.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”