What are the differences between Win10 and 11?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: What are the differences between Win10 and 11?

Post by YzzzR1 »

TylerM4 wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 8:26 am Don't do the work-arounds to force Win11 to install/run on hardware that it's not ment for. This WILL come back to bite you. For example: Every time there is a major version update those work-arounds get over-written and you'll have to attempt to put them back which may or may not work and/or take a few days for someone to figure it out and post a new work-around.

From what I've seen, Windows 11 isn't a huge change, similar to Win7 transitioning to Win10.

Differences in Win11 seem to fit into 2 categories:
1) Security improvements - hence the requirement for TPM.
2) User Interface changes - nothing major but you can tell that they're putting more and more effort into optimizing the OS for use with a touchscreen device. For example: Buttons for copy/paste instead of right-click or clicking on "File - Copy"
I just picked up a new mini computer that came with 11. It took me less than a day to get used to the revised interface. The worst being the right click functions so obviously no biggie. I installed all of the old software/apps (using the original exe.s) with no issues.
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TylerM4 wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 8:26 am Don't do the work-arounds to force Win11 to install/run on hardware that it's not ment for. This WILL come back to bite you. For example: Every time there is a major version update those work-arounds get over-written and you'll have to attempt to put them back which may or may not work and/or take a few days for someone to figure it out and post a new work-around.

From what I've seen, Windows 11 isn't a huge change, similar to Win7 transitioning to Win10.

Differences in Win11 seem to fit into 2 categories:
1) Security improvements - hence the requirement for TPM.
2) User Interface changes - nothing major but you can tell that they're putting more and more effort into optimizing the OS for use with a touchscreen device. For example: Buttons for copy/paste instead of right-click or clicking on "File - Copy"
:up: :up: :up:

That's the conclusion I came to also.

I'm not afraid of editing a registry but I only do it if I'm sure it isn't going to come back and bite me.

Were it simply a matter of my not having the proper version of TPM I probably would have proceeded with a hack, but not having UEFI, TPM, or approved CPU, puts me in the severely incompatible group so it's best to leave well enough alone since Win 10 will be supported for another three years anyway.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Win 10 lets you install locally... Win 11 makes it harder to install without a microsoft account.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

MSDOS was great, the computer did what you told it to. You had to tell it in a way it understood but that was fine.

Now they add layer after layer on windows O?S and the bloody computer keeps trying to guess what we try to say. You have to plough through layer after layer to get it to let you go to something as benign as a vancouver ebike shop.

i understand that programmers have to program like teenagers have to rebe.l but let them write programs for things like automating various chemicals and their influence on viruses.
We're lost but we're making good time.
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

hozzle wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 5:33 pm Win 10 lets you install locally... Win 11 makes it harder to install without a microsoft account.
:up:

---

Something he mentioned in that vid...

Was talking to my wife one day, me on a home phone, her on cell phone. (I'll never have one)
In joking, I mentioned Lazy Boy during our conversation.

Sure enough, and just after, we began receiving adds for Lazy Boys for a few days. Never had one before that time.

However ...
am resting comfortably at my desk in a Lazy Boy.

Rotten bast :cuss: ards. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I Think wrote: Dec 12th, 2022, 4:25 pm MSDOS was great, the computer did what you told it to. You had to tell it in a way it understood but that was fine.

Now they add layer after layer on windows O?S and the bloody computer keeps trying to guess what we try to say. You have to plough through layer after layer to get it to let you go to something as benign as a vancouver ebike shop.

i understand that programmers have to program like teenagers have to rebe.l but let them write programs for things like automating various chemicals and their influence on viruses.
As someone who used MSDOS heavily and fought adoption of windows to the point where I never did install Win3.0 or 3.1:

You are remembering only the good parts. DOS could not multitask. Have you forgotten the days of only being able to use 1 program at a time? Or how about needing to be darn near a tech wizard to do anything like install a soundcard?

I equate this to those who speak about the "good old vehicles with no electronics in them".
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Nostalgia, for sure. But the pre-mouse, pre-joystick versions of games were great fun. Backgammon ("plot, plot, scheme scheme"), Boggy Marsh (sinister "music") Space Quest and King's Quest ("we don't use that kind of language")... good times.

I know. :topic:

Our computers are not eligible for Win11 and they're getting slower and slower and s l o w w w e r. Is this coincidence?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I had no idea.

I am so glad I have declined to update.

I am not looking forward to when they make it mandatory (ie: nothing will work unless you do). I can't afford a new computer to handle stuff. I might be retiring in around 3 or so years. I am hoping I can make W10 eke out until then.
I haven't failed until I quit.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Lady tehMa wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 9:48 am I had no idea.

I am not looking forward to when they make it mandatory (ie: nothing will work unless you do). I can't afford a new computer to handle stuff. I might be retiring in around 3 or so years. I am hoping I can make W10 eke out until then.
You will be fine for 3 years and beyond if you practice safe web searching .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The way I understand it, the older versions of Windows have to be patched and tweaked to fix weaknesses and to work with improvements in other software.

These workarounds for the patches and tweaks start bogging down the original functionality, and after a while they're so patched and tweaked they are too busy accessing the patches and tweaks to work efficiently.

For a while now, though, it has seemed to me the older versions become remarkably slower within a year of a new version becoming available.

From a business perspective, I suppose it makes sense the business would be putting more effort into maintaining the new version than the old one. From a user's perspective, it's unproductive to have to learn how to use a new system - and frustrating to have to pay to update our hardware and then have to learn a new system.

I used to be excited about advances in computer technology, but these days I just want stuff to work the way I'm used to it working. Some days, I feel very old!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 10:09 am

I trust nothing for links, and generally am a bit paranoid. So, maybe? :smt045
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

rustled wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 11:38 am

I used to be excited about advances in computer technology, but these days I just want stuff to work the way I'm used to it working. Some days, I feel very old!
I know, I feel the same way! Is the learning curve getting steeper or is my brain just not able to keep up anymore - I don't know
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Lady tehMa wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 12:44 pm
captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 10:09 am
Thats what i do , the support for security for win 10 goes for atleast 2 more years , an then if a person does need to upgrade , you can get mini pc on amazon for less than 500 canadian that will come pre loaded with win 11 .

Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025. From microsoft .

This is just a example , there is literly 100 s to choose from but this is amazon reccomondation which i tend to look for because i trust their judgment on items i cant see in front of me before i buy it

https://www.amazon.ca/KAMRUI-Mini-N5105 ... 089&sr=8-3

You can get mini pc at local places also like bestbuy , londondrugs prolly , walmart i might guess , you can even get a pc on a usb stick to lol that has win 11
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Lady tehMa wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 12:45 pm
rustled wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 11:38 am

I know, I feel the same way! Is the learning curve getting steeper or is my brain just not able to keep up anymore - I don't know
In my case it seems to be both.

Truly, though, it used to seem our investment in adapting to new technology would pay off with increased productivity - greater accuracy, less effort. Lately it seems it's more about busywork than productivity.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 1:48 pm
Lady tehMa wrote: Dec 16th, 2022, 12:44 pm
Thats what i do , the support for security for win 10 goes for atleast 2 more years , an then if a person does need to upgrade , you can get mini pc on amazon for less than 500 canadian that will come pre loaded with win 11 .

Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025. From microsoft .

This is just a example , there is literly 100 s to choose from but this is amazon reccomondation which i tend to look for because i trust their judgment on items i cant see in front of me before i buy it

https://www.amazon.ca/KAMRUI-Mini-N5105 ... 089&sr=8-3

You can get mini pc at local places also like bestbuy , londondrugs prolly , walmart i might guess , you can even get a pc on a usb stick to lol that has win 11
Good to know us dinosaurs will still have Windows 10 support for a couple more years. That mini-computer IS quite a change from the traditional tower! Something else to look into. Thanks for suggesting it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”