Suing Interior Health for wage disparity

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Suing Interior Health for wage disparity

Post by Glacier »

I agree that the "sexism" claim is laughable.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

I have seen similar instances in online games. There are classes and skills for many races. Then players fight one on one. Then one side complains that they can't kill an enormous chain armour character with their cloth armour. So to placate the one class - they make equality when they fight among each other. Now there is a whole generation that thinks everything and everyone should just have parity.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

I know of a nurse practitioner who is left totally in charge of a clinic (not Kelowna). The Dr.s are only available for phone or online consultation with her. In this situation I think the nurse practitioner should have a pay raise for the work she is doing.

During Covid she was the one in the clinic seeing patients the Dr.s weren't, they stayed nice and safe.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

JLives wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 3:51 pm
Well no. It's just being overqualified for a given position.
So, instead of expanding on others education, responsibilities, certification, etc., let's just attack those who have met that criteria, drag them down and ignore the investment they've made in their careers for the benefit of those who made no such investment in time and money.
Simkkin

Post by Simkkin »

dcipher wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 10:40 pm
Simkkin wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 8:38 pm Whinning Millennials--- of course, you should go to school for a shorter period of time and get paid the same as a Doctor. The public loves paying for inferior products. They seem to be taking advantage of things due to current lack of medical staff in the system.

Lawyer-- "if we say it's about Gender, maybe they will settle and increase your pay."

Millennials -- Ok sounds good we deserve it!

So brutal -- Go back to School and become a Doctor if you want the same pay!
Very good. You got it spot on.

One can argue all day about what "percentage" of a GP's salary they deserve. In the end, that's entirely subjective and best left to a free market to decide.

What is absurdly irrational is the claim that they "deserve" equal pay. They know that, so of course, they will settle for a raise, not EQUAL pay. Throwing in gender equality is an ugly and bigoted bargaining red herring. Really quite disgusting - but that's the society we live in. (using that in an invalid manner like this actually trivializes and undermines valid cases)

...if society wants to see the true outcome, raise the pay to be equal by law. You think we have a shortage of doctors now? ...there will be precious few going to med school if they can get the same pay going to nursing school. Of course, if they are truly EQUAL, then no harm done... medical care will be just as good no? Maybe better....with the same resources we can produce more NP than GP! Alternately, fire all the doctors there now, and replace them with NP. That's the wisest thing to do - and in fact the duty of the government (to use taxpayer money in the most efficacious manner) if indeed they are truly equal in ability.
[ At least you understand the society we live in... informed bigot's are everywhere ;) Thanks for the tip but you took me wrong, trivializing stupidity/entitlement shows the humility of the NP's. But when it comes to money who needs humility. ]
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

I find it rather funny reading some of these comments about Doctors and Nurse practitioners and what their pay should be.

First of all, you have to define what type of Doctor are you talking about. Because some Doctors earn 475,000 a year while others earn 175,000$.

A Nurse Practitioner earns on average 119,000-year salary in BC with the average across the country being 88k-110k.

A General Practice Doctor earns on average 186,000-233,000$-year Salary in BC with the average across the country being 210,000-250,000$

NPs are basically getting paid the same as an RN with 10 years of working experience. That isn't fair any way you look at it. They should be paid more than an RN and only slightly less than a GP Doctor.

https://www.doctorsofbc.ca/sites/defaul ... _rates.pdf
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

No surprise, nurses are the most respected of any occupation.
20230120_225955.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”