Responsibility of gift card scams

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Responsibility of gift card scams

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 8:48 am
Jlabute wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 7:56 am Is there a technological solution?
We are going to give cash instead.

QueenK will be happy!
Sudsy, you know that I am very fashion conscious, and so I would like to wear the appropriate outfit when I accept you kind and generous gift.
Shall I wear red or brown when you present me with my gift?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Cash, real-estate, direct-deposit, gold bars, are all good at Christmas, lol.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Dec 17th, 2022, 5:08 pm
Urban Cowboy wrote: Dec 17th, 2022, 2:23 pm Shoppers should honor the mistake since the card was altered while in their possession. That's my opinion since basically the theft has been perpetrated on their premises.

Might be time surveillance cameras were aimed at the card racks to catch the crooks.
Agreed.

Shoppers (owned by Justin's pals at Loblaw) sold the consumer a defective product.

If you bought a bottle of Aspirin and found that the it had already been emptied by a thief in the store, it's not your loss, it's the failure of the store to provide a merchantable product. It's right in the Sale of Goods Act - you contracted the store to sell you the item for which you tendered payment.
Duties of seller and buyer
31 It is the duty of the seller to deliver the goods, and of the buyer to accept and pay for them, in accordance with the terms of the contract of sale.
I'm concerned that it took until the second page for a poster to identify the actual problem.

Unless there is more to the story, if the victim purchased a gift card at a Shopper's Drug Mart and upon use found that there actually was no money available in the card, that is a breach of contract.

The seller contracted with the buyer that for the sum of $200, they would supply to the buyer with a gift card of the value of $200.

If the buyer had purchased a box that appeared to contain a certain electronic device, when the buy got home and opened the box and found a block of wood inside instead of the electronic device, the contract would not be complete and the buyer would have the right to repudiate the contract and get their money back. Basic contract law.

Shoppers managed to purchase a million dollars of bad press for only $200. Great business plan, but again they are the ones sending out the ridiculous flyer, overfilled with sales items with pages of different sizes. Mine goes straight to recycling.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 9:01 am
Sudsy, you know that I am very fashion conscious, and so I would like to wear the appropriate outfit when I accept you kind and generous gift.
Shall I wear red or brown when you present me with my gift?
Something warm because Hell would have frozen over... :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 3:59 am
Urban Cowboy wrote: Dec 17th, 2022, 4:48 pm
I would think that they should also be able to scan the purchased card, to ensure it is worth what was paid, before the customer even leaves the store.
Wouldn't it be too late by then? The scammer would already have the money.
Well quite possibly but the point would be they'd know the customer wasn't at fault, whereas once he leaves the store they could argue that he spent it. They can't take $200 bucks from the person at the till, and check the card to see a zero balance, then assume it isn't their responsibility.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Not really the retailers responsibility. They are also out the sale of the card as well. Frustrations for both parties. Hold the scammer responsible.

Best suggestion on here was have blanks on the sales floor and the cashier has the actual cards to load behind the counter.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Steve-O wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 6:25 pm Not really the retailers responsibility. They are also out the sale of the card as well. Frustrations for both parties. Hold the scammer responsible.

Best suggestion on here was have blanks on the sales floor and the cashier has the actual cards to load behind the counter.
I strongly disagree. It is simple to tell if the card is tampered with. You look at the back and check it.... If there appears to be a sticker over the bar code thats it... Bad card. Shoppers should have checked and needed to have checked. They didn't check. Its their fault period.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Hmmm wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 7:59 pm Its their fault period.
I disagree, the retailer has to take some responsibility for not keeping the cards secure.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 8:04 pm
Hmmm wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 7:59 pm Its their fault period.
I disagree, the retailer has to take some responsibility for not keeping the cards secure.
Actually that’s what I said. It’s shoppers drug fault. Simple to just check the back barcode since it’s well known they can be tampered with.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Steve-O wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 6:25 pm Not really the retailers responsibility. They are also out the sale of the card as well. Frustrations for both parties. Hold the scammer responsible.

So in essence you are saying it's the retailers fault for having the cards unsecured to where scammers can tamper with them.

After all it's a known problem, just as is theft of expensive razor blades, and electronics, that they keep under lock and key in many stores.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 8:59 pm So in essence you are saying it's the retailers fault for having the cards unsecured to where scammers can tamper with them.

After all it's a known problem, just as is theft of expensive razor blades, and electronics, that they keep under lock and key in many stores.
*removed*

That is not at all what I'm saying. Not the retailers fault. Not the consumers fault. But, yes it is a problem that someone earlier in the thread offered a that stops both parties from getting shafted by the scammer. I just shared that along with the observation that the retailer loses here as well. Heck, there is a third victim too; the brand on the card. Now no one is going to their place to shop or eat.

The argument about an empty bottle of aspirin doesn't hold water. If you picked it up and it didn't weigh anything or rattle, are you still buying it? In addition, once found, the retailer will get credit back for it. Not so with a tampered card.

There is always caveat emptor.
Last edited by ferri on Dec 19th, 2022, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Where exactly did I say anything about aspirin ever? :135:

*removed*

Looking over the thread it seems most agree it's the retailers fault and rightly so. They're obligated to address known problems that affect their customers.
Last edited by ferri on Dec 19th, 2022, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Hmmm wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 8:59 pm
Bsuds wrote: Dec 18th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Actually that’s what I said. It’s shoppers drug fault. Simple to just check the back barcode since it’s well known they can be tampered with.
Sorry I read that wrong.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I have asked ppl not to get me the GC anymore. Ike I said I had to mail back the dud card, then he made another trip... LD said " guess the balance was used" oh well, lesson learned
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Central Okanagan”