Saving music to thumb drive.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
alanjh595
Banned

Saving music to thumb drive.

Post by alanjh595 »

I want to know where and how I can download and save music to a thumb drive so that I can plug it into my car to play.
Yes, I have a USB port in my car.
No, I do not have a cel phone.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Saving music to thumb drive.

Post by Even Steven »

You save the individual music as MP3 and dump it onto your thumb drive.

If your music system can read them, it will play from it.
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

I use an online YouTube to MP3 convertor, find a certain song on Youtube, download the converted file and save it on an SD card for my vehicle.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

Mp3s are for amateurs. :D If you're at all concerned about sound quality, download/convert to FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) if the original file is of adequate quality. Although these files are about 10X larger, with the advent of cheap storage space file size is no longer a concern.
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

YzzzR1 wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 3:02 pm Mp3s are for amateurs. :D If you're at all concerned about sound quality, download/convert to FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) if the original file is of adequate quality. Although these files are about 10X larger, with the advent of cheap storage space file size is no longer a concern.
But then the player needs to be able to playback that audio format.
alanjh595 wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 11:41 am I want to know where and how I can download and save music to a thumb drive so that I can plug it into my car to play.
Read up in your owners manual for their ways to play music. That usb port may only be supplying power for charging devices. It might not be connected to the audio system to use as an audio source.
If the car can, then rip your cd's to a supported audio format and copy the files to the thumb drive. You still have cd's right ? :)
Spotify lets you download for offline playback.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

LovemyBolt wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 3:26 pm
YzzzR1 wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 3:02 pm Mp3s are for amateurs. :D If you're at all concerned about sound quality, download/convert to FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) if the original file is of adequate quality. Although these files are about 10X larger, with the advent of cheap storage space file size is no longer a concern.
alanjh595 wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 11:41 am I want to know where and how I can download and save music to a thumb drive so that I can plug it into my car to play.
'

Read up in your owners manual for their ways to play music. That usb port may only be supplying power for charging devices. It might not be connected to the audio system to use as an audio source.
If the car can, then rip your cd's to a supported audio format and copy the files to the thumb drive. You still have cd's right ? :)
Spotify lets you download for offline playback.
I have a CD player in the car, but I don't have one in my computer anymore. I could have my old laptop repaired (that has a CD player/writer.) I could have that repaired if I need to. (I probably should, but it crashed due to a corrupted HD)
I have 2 faulty laptops, one with a fan issue, and the other with a bad HD. I would love to have either/both repaired if I can have the mounted in my car (Like a police car scenario)..

My friend plugged his cel phone into the car USB port to charge it, but it just played the music that he had on his phone......and.....I didn't like it. We couldn't stop it.

I also have XM radio......I don't know if that makes a difference.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 4:12 pm
I have a CD player in the car, but I don't have one in my computer anymore.

My friend plugged his cel phone into the car USB port to charge it, but it just played the music that he had on his phone......and.....I didn't like it. We couldn't stop it.
A DVD/CD drive is a simple install in a desktop as is stopping music playing from a Cell phone plugged into a cars stereo.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

I have a CD player in the car, but I don't have one in my computer anymore. I could have my old laptop repaired (that has a CD player/writer.) I could have that repaired if I need to. (I probably should, but it crashed due to a corrupted HD)
I have 2 faulty laptops, one with a fan issue, and the other with a bad HD. I would love to have either/both repaired if I can have the mounted in my car (Like a police car scenario)..

I also have XM radio......I don't know if that makes a difference.
Your friends phone was likely also taking a charge while playing. But playback is all up to the player in the car. I rarely listen to my music in the car. The once or twice I dabbled, I didn't like how it worked. Seemed a little convoluted to play how I would like it to. But it becomes an input. Think of your home A/V. Depending on its complexity you would choose different inputs.
XM radio would just be another input. Like AM or FM or the cd or a wired audio cable. You would choose the usb port.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Yes. You'll definitely hear that difference in quality on crappy car speakers while going in traffic.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

just get xm/sirius
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 8:09 pm just get xm/sirius
Do people still subscribe to those?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Saviour wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 8:24 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 8:09 pm just get xm/sirius
Do people still subscribe to those?
My thoughts too.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

Even Steven wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 7:55 pm
Yes. You'll definitely hear that difference in quality on crappy car speakers while going in traffic.
While most cars don't have stock audiophile grade audio systems, most newer cars certainly have enough fidelity to discern the difference. Maybe you need to update your car or get your hearing checked?
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

LovemyBolt wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 3:26 pm
Most players with USB inputs do these days. I haven't seen one that doesn't for quite awhile. It's a fairly common format.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 19th, 2022, 6:51 pm
I have a CD player in the car, but I don't have one in my computer anymore.

A DVD/CD drive is a simple install in a desktop as is stopping music playing from a Cell phone plugged into a cars stereo.
I have 3 laptops, 2 of which are broken. 1 needs a fan, 1 needs a HD, and the one that I am currently using.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”