The day I realized there is no god.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by youjustcomplain »

Hmmm wrote: Sep 17th, 2022, 12:58 pm Regardless of your beliefs I’m simply stating a fact. The Bible does say that God gave all people a conscience. That’s all I’m staying.
Can you cite the actual bible phrase in it's original language, then convert it to English for me? Please do it without adding your interpretation. I would like to see the line where this was written. I've just never seen it before.

I do understand that you're just telling us what the bible says.. Not that you agree or disagree with it. No judgement from me here. I'm just wanting to see the text.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

youjustcomplain wrote: Sep 20th, 2022, 10:10 am
Can you cite the actual bible phrase in it's original language, then convert it to English for me? Please do it without adding your interpretation. I would like to see the line where this was written. I've just never seen it before.

I do understand that you're just telling us what the bible says.. Not that you agree or disagree with it. No judgement from me here. I'm just wanting to see the text.
Romans 2:14,15 In Hebrew

כִּי כַּאֲשֶׁר גּוֹיִים שֶׁאֵין לָהֶם תּוֹרָה מְקַיְּמִים בְּאֹפֶן טִבְעִי אֶת דִּבְרֵי הַתּוֹרָה,‏ תּוֹרָה הֵם לְעַצְמָם אַף־עַל־פִּי שֶׁאֵין לָהֶם תּוֹרָה.‏ 15 הֵם מַרְאִים שֶׁתֹּכֶן הַתּוֹרָה כָּתוּב בְּלִבָּם;‏ מַצְפּוּנָם מֵעִיד יַחַד אִתָּם,‏ וּמַחְשְׁבוֹתֵיהֶם מַאֲשִׁימוֹת אוֹ מְזַכּוֹת אוֹתָם.‏

Because as Gentiles they show that the content of the Torah is written in their hearts; their consciences testify together with them, and their thoughts accuse or justify them.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
The Straken
Board Meister

Post by The Straken »

Not actually sure that says god gave us a conscience, it could be an implied act. i found this, it may help.

This verse concludes an idea begun in the previous verse. Paul wrote that Gentiles, though not given God's law or required to follow it, may end up keeping parts of the law "by nature" just by listening to their own conscience. This is similar to his point from the prior chapter that God makes certain ideas obvious to all people (Romans 1:18–20).
trump is a blight on that once great country.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Hmmm wrote: Sep 20th, 2022, 11:36 am Because as Gentiles they show that the content of the Torah is written in their hearts; their consciences testify together with them, and their thoughts accuse or justify them.
Thank you Hmmm. :)

When I read that translation, I don't see it stating that god gave us a conscience.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Hmmm wrote: Sep 20th, 2022, 11:36 am
youjustcomplain wrote: Sep 20th, 2022, 10:10 am

כִּי כַּאֲשֶׁר גּוֹיִים שֶׁאֵין לָהֶם תּוֹרָה מְקַיְּמִים בְּאֹפֶן טִבְעִי אֶת דִּבְרֵי הַתּוֹרָה,‏ תּוֹרָה הֵם לְעַצְמָם אַף־עַל־פִּי שֶׁאֵין לָהֶם תּוֹרָה.‏ 15 הֵם מַרְאִים שֶׁתֹּכֶן הַתּוֹרָה כָּתוּב בְּלִבָּם;‏ מַצְפּוּנָם מֵעִיד יַחַד אִתָּם,‏ וּמַחְשְׁבוֹתֵיהֶם מַאֲשִׁימוֹת אוֹ מְזַכּוֹת אוֹתָם.‏

Because as Gentiles they show that the content of the Torah is written in their hearts; their consciences testify together with them, and their thoughts accuse or justify them.
The Torah is not written in the Gentiles hearts or we would be killing witches and forcing raped women to marry their rapists and slavery as per its instructions. So this Bible verse is obviously wrong like pretty much everything in it.
Last edited by capleton on Sep 23rd, 2022, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

That's because most people are fools irrespective of religious beliefs or tradition. For the wise, the law is in his heart... https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ESV
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Stellerjay89ftrudy+100

Post by Stellerjay89ftrudy+100 »

Great. More heaven for me!
Christian nationalism is winning now. 🙂
The wef is crumbling and soon all plans will be undone and very familiar faces exposed for whom they really represent.
Christ forgives all sins, so its not too late, but time is running down....
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Stellerjay89ftrudy+100 wrote: Oct 26th, 2022, 10:57 pm Great. More heaven for me!
Christian nationalism is winning now. 🙂
The wef is crumbling and soon all plans will be undone and very familiar faces exposed for whom they really represent.
Christ forgives all sins, so its not too late, but time is running down....
Prove it
Sol316
Fledgling

Post by Sol316 »

capleton wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 9:02 pm
Hmmm wrote: Sep 20th, 2022, 11:36 am

The Torah is not written in the Gentiles hearts or we would be killing witches and forcing raped women to marry their rapists and slavery as per its instructions. So this Bible verse is obviously wrong like pretty much everything in it.
Joe Carter, a senior writer for The Gospel Coalition, wrote: "Our conscience is a part of our God-given internal faculties, a critical inner awareness that bears witness to the norms and values we recognize when determining right or wrong. Conscience does not serve as a judge or a legislator; that is a modern take on the concept. Instead, in the Biblical sense, conscience serves as a witness to what we already know. (Rom. 2:15, 9:1) Conscience may induce an inner dialogue to tell us what we already know, but more often it merely makes its presence known through our emotions. When we conform to the values of our conscience we feel a sense of pleasure or relief. But when we violate the values of our conscience, it induces anguish or guilt. John MacArthur describes conscience as 'a built-in warning system that signals us when something we have done is wrong. The conscience is to our souls what pain sensors are to our bodies: it inflicts distress, in the form of guilt, whenever we violate what our hearts tell us is right.' "

Having said that, 1 Timothy 4:2 mentions people with a "seared" conscience: literally “cauterized”— having been rendered insensitive. Such a conscience doesn't work properly. It’s as if “spiritual scar tissue” has dulled the sense of right and wrong.
Last edited by Sol316 on Nov 6th, 2022, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

When my Son was killed by a friend of a friend he had just met.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

metallica wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 2:39 pm When my Son was killed by a friend of a friend he had just met.
Death, inexplicable horrors, tragedies will do that to a person's beliefs.

I feel for your loss.
A parent should not have to bury their child.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
BelieverinSciencethanks
Board Meister

Post by BelieverinSciencethanks »

I Think wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 12:49 pm Cheddar Gorge is near my home town in England, located in the Mendip Hills, I was just reminded of Mendip by Weather Woman and remembered the day.
It was in 1952 or '53, I used to hitch hike home from school rather that wait an hour for the bus, and was walking into the village of Mendip a beautiful small village with thatched roof cottages, dotted on the sides of the valley, on a perfect sunny spring Friday afternoon, we had had bible study in the last period, and I was thinking about it as I walked. I realized that there was no evidence to substantiate the existence of a god or other supernatural being, now almost 70 years on, still have not found or been shown any evidence to change my understanding.
I like this thread. Thank-you for posting. In conservative communities like Kelowna, logic often gets pushed aside and those who don't believe, marginalized.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

BelieverinSciencethanks wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 5:37 pm
I like this thread. Thank-you for posting. In conservative communities like Kelowna, logic often gets pushed aside and those who don't believe, marginalized.
Kelowna is one of the least religious communities in Canada. Conservative, but not religious.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BelieverinSciencethanks
Board Meister

Post by BelieverinSciencethanks »

Glacier wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 6:50 pm
BelieverinSciencethanks wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 5:37 pm
Kelowna is one of the least religious communities in Canada. Conservative, but not religious.
Kelowna (by reputation) is referred to as the heart of the bible belt alongside the Fraser Valley. Not saying that to disagree with you. Actually, quite the opposite. I was surprised when I heard it, and people were surprised that I didn't know that.
ok-weezy
Fledgling

Post by ok-weezy »

BelieverinSciencethanks wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 7:35 pm
Glacier wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 6:50 pm
Kelowna (by reputation) is referred to as the heart of the bible belt alongside the Fraser Valley. Not saying that to disagree with you. Actually, quite the opposite. I was surprised when I heard it, and people were surprised that I didn't know that.
I first learned that Kelowna is referred to being in the bible belt 22 years ago. There are a lot of not very nice looking churches here.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”