Four dead in a bus crash on Connector Hwy 97

Post by Even Steven »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/403238 ... four-lives

Nightmare Christmas for some people.
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Four dead in a bus crash on Coq

Post by The_quiet_one »

So very sad. My heart is with the first responders, ER, all the nurses and docs. ❤️‍🩹
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

The connector. Been such a gem driving that road the last month. No regard by the powers that be to maintain the road at all. This *bleep* bound to happen. Tragic .
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Such a shocking, tragic event, but also sadly, not a surprise, and I pray for the affected families.

Bad policies from past governments have now come to roost, and once more, innocent citizens are paying the price for this gross incompetence.

Highways operations, in ALL seasons, need to be brought back under strict Provincial authority. Privatization here has been a complete failure and we've all seen the decline in road maintenance.

It's time that we remind the governments of the day who their bosses are, and that we choose the lives of people over profits, and that officials need to be held to account...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Even Steven wrote: Dec 25th, 2022, 1:01 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/403238 ... four-lives

Nightmare Christmas for some people.
My condolences to the victims and to their surviving family members that were waiting for them to come home for Christmas.
Bring back the LIKE button.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

Condolences to the families who lost loved ones in this tragic accident.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Wasn't fun getting gently shaken awake by the wife last night as she told me she "got an extra shift"...

This morning wasn't any fun either. Must have been nasty ..

Condolences to the passengers and the families of those who were lost and kudos to those who responded..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

Very sad.

Used to drive the Coq in the 1990's and 00's and anyone who drove it back then knows the maintenance has been getting worse each year. Lowest bidder contracts, no real accountability and they made a TV show about our killer highway. Could have had a TV show about the best-maintained mountain-pass highway and the hard work that goes into that maintaining it but instead the TV show is about the crews that clean up the wrecks and bodies.

They don't even have a winter roadblock checking peoples tires before the pass. This is standard in most US states with high mountain passes on major highways. The State troopers check every car for good winter tires and turn you away if you don't have them.

Hopefully this accident is the start of a new safety and maintenance regime on the crazy highway.
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

Mazdatruck wrote: Dec 25th, 2022, 5:53 pm Very sad.

Used to drive the Coq in the 1990's and 00's and anyone who drove it back then knows the maintenance has been getting worse each year. Lowest bidder contracts, no real accountability and they made a TV show about our killer highway. Could have had a TV show about the best-maintained mountain-pass highway and the hard work that goes into that maintaining it but instead the TV show is about the crews that clean up the wrecks and bodies.

They don't even have a winter roadblock checking peoples tires before the pass. This is standard in most US states with high mountain passes on major highways. The State troopers check every car for good winter tires and turn you away if you don't have them.

Hopefully this accident is the start of a new safety and maintenance regime on the crazy highway.
Absolutely agree with you. It used to good 20 years ago. This a nightmare waiting to happen. I wonder if any lawsuits will come if this? I hope so. The roads are a nightmare.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Terris wrote: Dec 25th, 2022, 1:31 pm Such a shocking, tragic event, but also sadly, not a surprise, and I pray for the affected families.

Bad policies from past governments have now come to roost, and once more, innocent citizens are paying the price for this gross incompetence.

Highways operations, in ALL seasons, need to be brought back under strict Provincial authority. Privatization here has been a complete failure and we've all seen the decline in road maintenance.

It's time that we remind the governments of the day who their bosses are, and that we choose the lives of people over profits, and that officials need to be held to account...
I absolutely agree. Like trickle-down has been revealed as a farce - so is privatization for absolutely everything. There are just some things that can't have a price for them. Highways are one of them. If we can put a blank check on restoring an entire highway system that was devastated - we can have one for plowed highways.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Its a pity in these weather extremes that the operators ,management,drivers feel pressured to get somewhere in a time. I hope that the driver or any drivers could have the final say in attempting travel in these conditions. Who cares if your meal is getting cold Drive To Stay Alive Please...
Pitapants
Fledgling

Post by Pitapants »

Mazdatruck wrote: Dec 25th, 2022, 5:53 pm Very sad.

Not to minimize anything, but why is ensuring a driver has correct tires to drive on a highway a matter for police? Everyone should do a proper check of their vehicle to ensure it is equipped for driving conditions.
Pitapants
Fledgling

Post by Pitapants »

Terris wrote: Dec 25th, 2022, 1:31 pm Such a shocking, tragic event, but also sadly, not a surprise, and I pray for the affected families.

considering all the complaints about various forms of governments in these forums, what makes us think that they will be any good at making sure the rods are safe?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Pitapants wrote: Dec 26th, 2022, 10:36 am

Not to minimize anything, but why is ensuring a driver has correct tires to drive on a highway a matter for police? Everyone should do a proper check of their vehicle to ensure it is equipped for driving conditions.
I agree. In addition, make sure you have emergency supplies and that you are able to drive in the type of weather forecasted.

It is easy to blame accidents on poor maintenance, however when road conditions are treacherous, no amount of road maintenance during extreme weather conditions is going to ensure the road is safe. Sometimes people need to stay off the roads. We live in a society of people who want what they want and they want it now. The weather doesn't care. Most accidents are due to drivers over estimating their and their vehicle's ability and underestimating the surface they are traveling on.

It is a devastating time for those affected by the bus accident. In addition to lives lost, the psychological effects on the driver and many surviving passengers will be likely be life-long.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

This accident didn’t happen on the Coquihalla. It happened on the Connector Hwy 97C. Can we please at least change the tittle of the post

Return to “Central Okanagan”