Cobalt Statistics and Information

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Cobalt Statistics and Information

Post by captkirkcanada »

In this thread i will expose why the current fake complaints of cobalt mining is just that , fake .

Here we will go thru the uses of cobalt that was going on long before ev batteries were a thing and how no one person complained then .

"Cobalt is also used to make airbags in automobiles; catalysts for the petroleum and chemical industries; cemented carbides (also called hardmetals) and diamond tools; corrosion- and wear-resistant alloys; drying agents for paints, varnishes, and inks; dyes and pigments; ground coats for porcelain enamels; high-speed"
http://www.usgs.gov/centers/national-mi ... gh%2Dspeed

Cobalt is an indispensable element for the manufacture of strategic technologies including advanced batteries, jet engines, rare-earth permanent magnets, petroleum catalysts, and tool parts that enable construction, manufacturing, and mining. Cobalt routinely scores high in mineral supply risk assessments due to the concentration of cobalt mine production in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). This stands in contrast to the fact that DRC cobalt mine production had a 20% compound annual growth rate from 1995 through 2020—in large part due to investments by Chinese firms beginning in the mid-2000s.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0722004500

Most of the cobalt produced is used for special alloys. A relatively large percentage of the world’s production goes into magnetic alloys such as the Alnicos for permanent magnets. Sizable quantities are utilized for alloys that retain their properties at high temperatures and superalloys that are used near their melting points (where steels would become too soft). Cobalt is also employed for hard-facing alloys, tool steels, low-expansion alloys (for glass-to-metal seals), and constant-modulus (elastic) alloys (for precision hairsprings).

https://www.britannica.com/science/coba ... al-element

Most of cobalt is used for special alloys and has been for decades yet not a peep from the same folks complainng now which proves the complaints isnt about kids mining it is about protecting dirty , planet killing oil . Thats it
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Cobalt Statistics and Information

Post by Jlabute »

Yup, now that the general public is expected to use EVs, and not because they want to, but progressive Governments are forcing EV mandates and thereby forcing the need to mine more cobalt, copper, lithium carbonate, and rare earth metals for magnets, etc. Mining more cobalt is a product of green idiots pushing EVs, and batteries need a crapload of cobalt. In fact, EVs dominate cobalt usage and it is growing. Cobalt is poisonous so, complaints are not wrong. As the world has tried to cut cobalt from many things, the EV battery industry has boosted it enormously and is responsible for more than 2/3rds of it, and growing. Green idiots haven’t even started to get all the cobalt they want.

The battery industry isn’t interested in waiting for better battery technology that would use little or no cobalt. Oil and gas are still a better option for vehicles.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Is this a lie?

Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

Jlabute wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 11:41 am Yup, now that the general public is expected to use EVs, and not because they want to, but progressive Governments are forcing EV mandates and thereby forcing the need to mine more cobalt, copper, lithium carbonate, and rare earth metals for magnets, etc. Mining more cobalt is a product of green idiots pushing EVs, and batteries need a crapload of cobalt. In fact, EVs dominate cobalt usage and it is growing. Cobalt is poisonous so, complaints are not wrong. As the world has tried to cut cobalt from many things, the EV battery industry has boosted it enormously and is responsible for more than 2/3rds of it, and growing. Green idiots haven’t even started to get all the cobalt they want.

The battery industry isn’t interested in waiting for better battery technology that would use little or no cobalt. Oil and gas are still a better option for vehicles.
:up:
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

^^^ thanks for the video.

Certainly it is real. It is the first time I saw actual footage of thousands of child slaves digging in a pit through poisonous soil. It is scary how much more cobalt is needed to fulfil mandates.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Jlabute wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 12:35 pm ^^^ thanks for the video.

Certainly it is real. It is the first time I saw actual footage of thousands of child slaves digging in a pit through poisonous soil. It is scary how much more cobalt is needed to fulfil mandates.
They are not slaves nor are they kids . Stop lying . Cobalt was mined by the ton long before any batteries existed and not a peep from same hypocrites . Ppl like that make me sick .liars
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I guess this is all a lie and photoshop.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Didnt you watch the video? Thousands of kids were observed there.
Now that you know where most cobalt comes from, you should at least hold off on such large scale ramp up of cobalt mining until there are better options. Dozens of deaths have resulted from young people working in poor conditions.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cobalt (Co) is a metal used in numerous diverse commercial, industrial, and military applications, many of which are strategic and critical. On a global basis, the leading use of cobalt is in rechargeable battery electrodes. Superalloys, which are used to make parts for gas turbine engines, are another major use for cobalt. Cobalt is also used to make airbags in automobiles; catalysts for the petroleum and chemical industries; cemented carbides (also called hardmetals) and diamond tools; corrosion- and wear-resistant alloys; drying agents for paints, varnishes, and inks; dyes and pigments; ground coats for porcelain enamels; high-speed steels; magnetic recording media; magnets; and steel-belted radial tires.
https://www.usgs.gov/centers/national-m ... gh%2Dspeed
Bring back the LIKE button.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Jlabute wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 1:56 pm Didnt you watch the video? Thousands of kids were observed there.
Now that you know where most cobalt comes from, you should at least hold off on such large scale ramp up of cobalt mining until there are better options. Dozens of deaths have resulted from young people working in poor conditions.
Lol i dont watch made up videos on youtube . The ppl in the congo mine the mineral knowing its not safe because it pays ten times what they would otherwise make . And they have been doing it long before there was ev batteries as most cobalt goes to alloys not ev batteries . That is a fact .

I worked in logging knowing i was one tree away from being killed . Men do dangerous things for money . Its in our genes .

And if these cobalt worry warts were not worried before ev batteries even though it was mined exact same way by the ton long before ev batts we have a case of hypocrasy in its purest form .

I would love to see someone go over to the congo and try and tell them ppl to stop making ten times what their wage would be if not gathering cobalt .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

^^^^^
Lol i dont watch made up videos

That is very telling.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 4:54 pm ^^^^^
Lol i dont watch made up videos

That is very telling.
Indeed. Means he's living in a place called da nile. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

If I close my eyes, close my ears, pretend nothing that contradicts me exists and just say "la la la can't hear you" - does the world change? [icon_lol2.gif]
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 3:54 pm
Jlabute wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 1:56 pm Didnt you watch the video? Thousands of kids were observed there.
Lol i dont watch made up videos on youtube . The ppl in the congo mine the mineral knowing its not safe because it pays ten times what they would otherwise make . And they have been doing it long before there was ev batteries as most cobalt goes to alloys not ev batteries . That is a fact .

I worked in logging knowing i was one tree away from being killed . Men do dangerous things for money . Its in our genes .
Children don't work in logging in Canada, doing dangerous things for money.

It's not in our genes to encourage children to work in dangerous environments, nor is it in our genes to make excuses for our part in a system that relies on children who live in poverty doing dangerous things for money "for the greater good".
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

It is a fact of life that developing countries working towards modernization use child labor, that has been going on since the beginning of civilization. Here in Canada America, Europe, the Orient etc., children have been used for mining, farming scullery, leather, sewing and many other jobs.
That only changes as countries become wealthy enough that they do not need the low cost labor of children.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”