The Secret

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
eMeM
Übergod

Re: The Secret

Post by eMeM »

Big ned wrote:That always cracks me up when sports teams pray to win a game. I don't think God cares who wins a basketball game (unless it is BYU... kidding of course). I can see praying that you can play to the best of you ability or for sportsmanship, but praying to win is silly.

I know I'm going off topic here, but give me a second...
What really gets me is fighters who are thanking God at the end of a match. Yeah, I'm sure God's thrilled you just pounded the crap out of the other guy. What a crock.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I've been wandering around the outside of the outside of the box again and have come up with an interesting thought about whether things are destined to be or not. Time travel I feel is a plausible theory, probably through wormholes... but anyway, if you could go back or ahead in time, then every moment of history and beyond is happening at this exact moment, so if you could go back and watch that time you stole a candy bar, you know you would steal it because it's happened already. If you could intervene and change your younger self's mind, and then go back to just when you were changing his mind, you would also know this would happen. So if someone from the future traveled back to present time, they could tell you what choices you'd make, so it's like everything's happened already, theoretically. I don't know if anyone will follow this as it's hard to explain but it throws a twist into things I'd say.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Smuckers
Board Meister

Post by Smuckers »

I tried reading The Secret, I read maybe 1/4 of it and lent it to my friend when she said she wanted to read it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. I just couldn't get through a sentence without rolling my eyes. It seemed super cliche to me. Maybe I'll give it another go. :129:
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

zzontar wrote:I've been wandering around the outside of the outside of the box again

Have you forgotten what happened the last time you did that? :skyisfalling: :skyisfalling:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

writerdave wrote:
zzontar wrote:I've been wandering around the outside of the outside of the box again

Have you forgotten what happened the last time you did that? :skyisfalling: :skyisfalling:

I know, but I can't help it... that's where the fun is... way out (as sung by the Way Outs on that classic Flinstones episode) :discodance:
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

Smuckers wrote:I tried reading The Secret, I read maybe 1/4 of it and lent it to my friend when she said she wanted to read it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. I just couldn't get through a sentence without rolling my eyes. It seemed super cliche to me. Maybe I'll give it another go. :129:

I haven't read the book - I watched the DVD and listened to the audio book.

The first time I listened to it, I didn't like it. But then I listened again and rather than trying to discredit it, I looked for the good in it. Basically - your thoughts create your reality. If you dwell on debt, loss, sorrow, pity and misfortune, you are sure to bring more of it into your life. If you focus on love, positive thinking, believing in yourself and your dreams, they are much more likely to happen. Also, recognizing the energy that we are made of and the true potential of our thoughts.

I think it's quite selfish though, because it is quite materialistic and there is little compassion for your fellow man. I do like how they explain that we are all one and that competition is bad.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

The Secret can be a difficult book to get into at first. I started reading it and thought, "what's with all these quotes from different people, it's quite disruptive." It wasn't till I was well into it that I began to grasp how the book is layed out. I would advise anyone starting to read it to first read the back. This is where the different people who have contributed to quotes are profiled. When I did that, it made reading it much more better.

This is a book that one could easily roll your eyes at and put it down if you don't understand both the deepness and simplistic approach to it. I believe many people apply The Secrets principles to their lives without even knowing it. Funny thing is, that the few times in my own life that I have focussed on and visualized and verbally expressed what I want, it has come true. This move I did to NS last year was such a time. I made the decision that NS was where I was going to be, and that I wanted an older character home. Doors started opening at every turn to make this decision become reality. Now if I had let fear and negativity rule my thoughts, I believe my move never would have happened. Did I know at the time I was applying The Secrets principles, no.

The Secret, in it's extreme simplest form, is Karma. What you give out is what you receive. I don't view it as selfish at all. There is a balance to strike between wanting good things for yourself and being self absorbed.

~D
Smuckers
Board Meister

Post by Smuckers »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:
Smuckers wrote:I tried reading The Secret, I read maybe 1/4 of it and lent it to my friend when she said she wanted to read it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. I just couldn't get through a sentence without rolling my eyes. It seemed super cliche to me. Maybe I'll give it another go. :129:

I haven't read the book - I watched the DVD and listened to the audio book.

The first time I listened to it, I didn't like it. But then I listened again and rather than trying to discredit it, I looked for the good in it. Basically - your thoughts create your reality. If you dwell on debt, loss, sorrow, pity and misfortune, you are sure to bring more of it into your life. If you focus on love, positive thinking, believing in yourself and your dreams, they are much more likely to happen. Also, recognizing the energy that we are made of and the true potential of our thoughts.

I think it's quite selfish though, because it is quite materialistic and there is little compassion for your fellow man. I do like how they explain that we are all one and that competition is bad.

If you enjoyed that particular lesson in The Secret, you might like a book called "Think On These Things" by Krishnamurti.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

The Secret's out.

Post by eyepop »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:The Secret, in it's extreme simplest form, is Karma.

aginger1
Board Meister

Post by aginger1 »

I for one am a big believer in the Secret. I watched it about a year ago and at that time was working at a job that "just paid the bills" I wasnt in a good place where I felt good and happy and at peace with myself. But after I watched it and changed the way I thought of things....I put positive thoughts out there....suddenly I was offered a job "outta the blue" that paid wayyyy more...I am happier, going to church....enjoying my family....I am doing great.. :nyah: So....I think it IS all in how you think of things...and what kind of energy you put out there....
HA

Post by HA »

My two bits in this is that people get unfocused with the my god/religion is better than yours...Lets face it there is something out there that is bigger than all of us..Thoughts create our reality, also your intent in your thought processes are also important in the whole of the thing. The bible is just some simple principles that were created and then over time changed to have the religious people to in still FEAR into follwers...Read the book by Katherine Ponder, The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity..it shows that God wanted all of us to be prosperous...not just a few :sunshine:

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”