Four dead in a bus crash on Connector Hwy 97

Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Four dead in a bus crash on Connector Hwy 97

Post by Scrobins94 »

Yes and the results of the investigation will come out in a billion years. The results of the Mission Group crane accident that killed several workers still hasn't been released and it's been over a year since it happened. It seems like regular people don't matter much.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Saviour wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 9:01 pm
Bsuds wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 9:00 pm
So not 30 feet back but right up front.
I was just using that to illustrate a point - perspective from a passengers point of view in a bus can be very deceptive.
That's not the way it came across.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I keep my seatbelt on while on a plane - the Bus was equipped with belts that might have prevented some of the deaths /injuries.
Thank goodness there were local residents and other vehicles on the road to help the victims.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

MAPearce wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 7:30 pm
Yeah .. but he was on a bus because the plane said NO ?

Don't tell me that anyone on "The Bus" wasn't looking for a way to get where they WANTED to go ...

And they blame the driver ??

Sad really
There is no plane that goes to Lillooet.
Bring back the LIKE button.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 9:00 pm
So not 30 feet back but right up front.
I was just using that to illustrate a point - perspective from a passengers point of view in a bus can be very deceptive.
Physics are same no matter where someone is sitting, the feeling of g forces for example doesnt change from front to back once the bus starts spinning .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

alanjh595 wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 6:21 am
MAPearce wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 7:30 pm
Yeah .. but he was on a bus because the plane said NO ?

Don't tell me that anyone on "The Bus" wasn't looking for a way to get where they WANTED to go ...

And they blame the driver ??

Sad really
There is no plane that goes to Lillooet.
many people from here took the Ebus to Vancouver because Kelowna flights were shut down, and it was messing up their winter vacation
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 5:05 am
That's not the way it came across.
My apologies, I should have been more explicit in that regard. Also, for further clarification, I am not attempting to discount Gordon's account, merely stating that witness accounts are not always the most accurate.
captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 6:34 am Physics are same no matter where someone is sitting, the feeling of g forces for example doesnt change from front to back once the bus starts spinning .
My post was in reference to a comment related to the previous accident, not because a bus was "spinning" - depth perception changes drastically from the drivers seated position and the passengers which is the point I was trying to make. I'm not sure what "G-forces" or "physics"have to do with how a driver is driving, sense of motion yes (which also changes depending on seating position in relation to the turning point of the vehicle).
thesportinglife wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 12:16 am I cannot comment on whether Ebus drivers drive too fast, or speed. However, I will share an incident that I saw at the Kelowna airport, a few weeks ago. I saw a lineup of 30 or more people waiting to load into an Ebus. The driver, a fat, overweight man, was acting very rude and was yelling and shouting at his mostly young passengers and appeared to be explaining the rules to them ?

Yes, I "get" that rules need to be made clear to people, but is yelling and shouting at your passengers, helpful ?
I say that the speeding of the Ebus under dangerous winter road conditions, is consistent with one who also shouts and yells at his passengers.

Why ? Because it shows that you are an "a hole" who does not care about the safety of the public? It's not just one incident, either. Maybe the PTB (Passenger Transportation Board) needs to look into the fitness of the licence holder (Ebus) to offer rides to the public, both safely and professionally.

if you were recently on an EBus and your experience was less than satisfactory, you need to write a letter to the PTB and tell them your side of the story. If enough people write in, then the PTB may call a hearing into the licensee's fitness to hold a permit to operate a bus service.
thesportinglife wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 10:15 pm
You don't get it, do you ? If the transit operator is rude and is heard yelling at his passengers and for no good reason, then, that translates into rudeness and taking unnecesary chances on the road, such as speeding. And speeding MAY well have been a contributing factor in that accident/crash.

That will all come out at the civil lawsuit trial (REST ASSURED !)
Your comments are nothing but empty assumptions that hold absolutely no merit what-so-ever.

In regards to your comment in writing the PTB to investigate Ebus, the fact that they have had no major incidents in the past shows that their operating certificate is in good standing. Add to that, online reviews have shown nothing but praise for the company and the drivers.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 6:34 am
Physics are same no matter where someone is sitting, the feeling of g forces for example doesnt change from front to back once the bus starts spinning .
That is incorrect. When a bus spins those at the center axis of the spin would experience less force than those at the outside sweep of the spin. Ex. If the spun on the exact center of the over all length those in the center would feel less rotational forces than those at the front or rear. The force one experiences is dependent on the distance from the point of rotation.
Screenshot_20221228-072831_Samsung Internet.jpg
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

AND what force ia felt when the motion comes to an abrupt stop?
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

alanjh595 wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 8:08 am AND what force ia felt when the motion comes to an abrupt stop?
It's not the fall that gets you. It's the sudden stop at the end
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

69cutlass wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 9:33 am
alanjh595 wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 8:08 am AND what force ia felt when the motion comes to an abrupt stop?
It's not the fall that gets you. It's the sudden stop at the end
Exactly....the same principle.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

normaM wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 6:02 am I keep my seatbelt on while on a plane - the Bus was equipped with belts that might have prevented some of the deaths /injuries.
Thank goodness there were local residents and other vehicles on the road to help the victims.
Reports are that the majority of passengers were not wearing seatbelts. Like you, I wear mine on flights and certainly would have on a bus. It is fortunate that a semi, or even a regular vehicle, wasn't coming along just then that ran into the overturned bus. Yes, very fortunate that private vehicles were able to stop and render assistance.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I posted earlier the one young man that was saved by wearing his seatbelt. I can’t imagine the hindsight people are thinking of now - the what ifs.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 28th, 2022, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

Fancy wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 4:10 pm I posted earlier the one young man that was saved by wearing his seatbelt. I can’t imagine the hindsight people are thinking of now - the what ifs.
I agree, they're there for a reason.

Return to “Central Okanagan”