Parking on the Street

BC Landlord
Guru

Re: Parking on the Street

Post by BC Landlord »

People need to understand that the objective of these "green" politics is not to provide adequate parking spaces, but to reduce them. They actually see personal vehicle ownership as a pariah. And their wrath is not limited to gas vehicles only, but EVs as well, because they know very well that there is no chance of these vehicles replacing the current energy demand with their "pie in the sky" technologies. Which btw, they are touting as being "just around the corner" to lure gullible into that. Their promises and predictions however never materialize.
spooker

Post by spooker »

BC Landlord wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 8:27 pm People need to understand that the objective of these "green" politics is not to provide adequate parking spaces, but to reduce them. They actually see personal vehicle ownership as a pariah. And their wrath is not limited to gas vehicles only, but EVs as well, because they know very well that there is no chance of these vehicles replacing the current energy demand with their "pie in the sky" technologies. Which btw, they are touting as being "just around the corner" to lure gullible into that. Their promises and predictions however never materialize.
Considering that personal vehicles are larger than most individuals, continuing the idea that everyone needs their own car becomes much more unsustainable as the population grows ... if we only required a parking spot where we live and then where we work maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but the demand for retail parking and all the rest of the activities seems to mean that we have about 5 spaces for each vehicle on the road ...

By prioritizing parking over space for people to live helps the price of housing go up ... it's just economics ... we can either figure out a solution or just keeping digging more holes (and filling them with concrete and asphalt to park on)
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

spooker wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 8:52 pm
BC Landlord wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 8:27 pm People need to understand that the objective of these "green" politics is not to provide adequate parking spaces, but to reduce them. They actually see personal vehicle ownership as a pariah. And their wrath is not limited to gas vehicles only, but EVs as well, because they know very well that there is no chance of these vehicles replacing the current energy demand with their "pie in the sky" technologies. Which btw, they are touting as being "just around the corner" to lure gullible into that. Their promises and predictions however never materialize.
Considering that personal vehicles are larger than most individuals, continuing the idea that everyone needs their own car becomes much more unsustainable as the population grows ... if we only required a parking spot where we live and then where we work maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but the demand for retail parking and all the rest of the activities seems to mean that we have about 5 spaces for each vehicle on the road ...

By prioritizing parking over space for people to live helps the price of housing go up ... it's just economics ... we can either figure out a solution or just keeping digging more holes (and filling them with concrete and asphalt to park on)
Canada is the 10th least densely populated country in the world. And once you take out the nothing countries the size of a postage stamp or uninhabitable desert, we're top five.

Space isn't an issue.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Probably within roughly 18 months +/- large segment of population will be having to choose between mortgage &/or rent payment and having a vehicle.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 9:34 pm Probably within roughly 18 months +/- large segment of population will be having to choose between mortgage &/or rent payment and having a vehicle.
Not sure about the time frame, but I think you are right. The "green" push will make many people go into suffering, having to choose in between heating, food, housing, and transportation. Yet, these zealots would brush that all off in the name of their ideology. They just don't care.
marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by marvin gardens »

Not to worry about parking.
Many developers have convinced planners and council to go cheap by building parking above ground.
This latest craze saves huge amounts of money.
The Mission group leads the way.First the Ella
Their latest, The Bertram, conveys a monument to ugliness with 3 stories of blank wall concrete with slits at random levels, that possibly have been borrowed from the concrete bunkers of WW2.
Development at its finest!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

BC Landlord wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 7:21 pm I've seen some of these warehouse-like parkings in Manhattan, NY. Are you suggesting that this would be a cost effective solution for Kelowna's residential areas, as to justify the cutting down on parking space? I don't think so, and quite frankly, I don't have a feeling that this is the true eco-zealots' objective. What they really want you is to give up personal transportation altogether.
People won't give up their personal transportation until there are viable alternatives. Though in newer residential areas and gated communities smaller vertical automated parking could work to keep vehicles off the streets.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

marvin gardens wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 10:16 pm Not to worry about parking.
Many developers have convinced planners and council to go cheap by building parking above ground.
This latest craze saves huge amounts of money.
The Mission group leads the way.First the Ella
Their latest, The Bertram, conveys a monument to ugliness with 3 stories of blank wall concrete with slits at random levels, that possibly have been borrowed from the concrete bunkers of WW2.
Development at its finest!
Biggest reason for above ground parking in Kelowna is mainly due to the high water table. The reason for this is much of Kelowna is reclaimed swamp land.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Plan for the paking needs of today. If in the future it is not needed then it can be converted to green space. Is that so hard.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

69cutlass wrote: Dec 29th, 2022, 6:52 am Plan for the paking needs of today. If in the future it is not needed then it can be converted to green space. Is that so hard.
Every parking lot I've used for work is now covered in buildings so can't see green space ever an option.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Fancy wrote: Dec 29th, 2022, 6:57 am
69cutlass wrote: Dec 29th, 2022, 6:52 am Plan for the paking needs of today. If in the future it is not needed then it can be converted to green space. Is that so hard.
Every parking lot I've used for work is now covered in buildings so can't see green space ever an option.
Because they are not planning for today's parking needs
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We will soon have anti-gravity cars and won't need on street parking. :D
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That would be awesome. Park on your roof. Right now couldn’t park on the street anyway with all the ice.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 9:55 pm
GordonH wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 9:34 pm Probably within roughly 18 months +/- large segment of population will be having to choose between mortgage &/or rent payment and having a vehicle.
Not sure about the time frame, but I think you are right. The "green" push will make many people go into suffering, having to choose in between heating, food, housing, and transportation. Yet, these zealots would brush that all off in the name of their ideology. They just don't care.
I just threw a number out there... could be longer or shorter.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

BC Landlord wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 9:55 pm
Trudeau is going to take their stoves away so they can't cook their food, so that leaves more money to pay for the other stuff.

They'll starve to death because they can't prepare food, but Trudeau doesn't care. When they're dead, they won't be parking on the street or idling their cars for 61 seconds on a -30 morning.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Central Okanagan”