Where Are The Snowplows? Rant

metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Where Are The Snowplows? Rant

Post by metallica »

This is actually true. When I worked for the Highways in Kelowna in the mid 70's they decided we where spending too much on metal plow blades so they went with thick rubber blades. You could skate behind the truck. Did nothing to the road surface other than remove snow. If you sanded at the same time you would have to go back every, say hour to load up. Metal blades are not all that different, they ride over the ice too. You don't need sparks flying to know a plow is working.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

+ 6 celsius today no plows needed , what a joke , will they take the credit for the work mother nature did.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

the truth wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 4:21 pm + 6 celsius today no plows needed , what a joke , will they take the credit for the work mother nature did.
Those guys laying around at the base of the bridge will!! This is the only way they can make the bridge safe for winter driving!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

the truth wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 4:21 pm + 6 celsius today no plows needed , what a joke , will they take the credit for the work mother nature did.
Up in Wilden off of Union there are several streets that are a disgrace..........they finally came by yesterday (27th) when it was +5 and moved slush in front of driveways..........then the moron who drives the sidewalk plow comes out and pushes the snow from the sidewalk in several locations FOUR FEET into the street making a narrow street narrower.
Old Sailor
Board Meister

Post by Old Sailor »

lesliepaul wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 10:19 pm
Up in Wilden off of Union there are several streets that are a disgrace..........they finally came by yesterday (27th) when it was +5 and moved slush in front of driveways..........then the idiot who drives the sidewalk plow comes out and pushes the snow from the sidewalk in several locations FOUR FEET into the street making a narrow street narrower.
I guess the developers were more interested in money than building decent wide roads for parking.
Hello Darkness my old friend...I stood up too fast again!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lesliepaul wrote: Dec 28th, 2022, 10:19 pm
Up in Wilden off of Union there are several streets that are a disgrace..........they finally came by yesterday (27th) when it was +5 and moved slush in front of driveways..........then the idiot who drives the sidewalk plow comes out and pushes the snow from the sidewalk in several locations FOUR FEET into the street making a narrow street narrower.
You were the lucky ones, our slush has no froze and it is a mess to drive down. The only blessing is the gathering place for the JW is down past my home and this will slow the flow to the hall.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There will be a few broken bones from the ice in the streets and sidewalks. Shameful really when everyone knew it would freeze overnight. There should ever be 2 feet high plus mounds of ice at the end of driveways and taking up most of the street.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by marvin gardens »

Where are the snowplows?
Silly question.
Sure as night becomes day, the media releases tell the public...."we are over budget"
Yep," 200 thousand over and the winter is not over".
So the snow budget had 5 hundred thousand left over from last year.
What happened to that money?
Good question.
Hornswoggle
Fledgling

Post by Hornswoggle »

I was up Wilden 2 days ago. Narrow steep crappy road. Real genius, nice view of smog. Pity them
Off to Black Mountain, road I went to not plowed. Very bad
I did see a plow on Academy way but its bare and wet and his blade was up
Whoever is in charge of public works or whoever is in charge of maintenance, do us all a favour go into the bathroom at
work and fire yourself.
And grow up, never see so many removed posts as here. You cant comment without a moderator having to remove it?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I suspect many are screaming, "where are the snowplows" this morning. Lots of people have no option to stay off the roads, they actually have real jobs not situated in a home office.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

the company is probably short staffed because of the Holiday, plus they say they are working hard to keep the main roads clear. They must not consider LanFranco a main road - like Dukes of Hazard as you have to jump the snow hills.

All we get here is a sand truck... which is better than the damn plow
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

marvin gardens wrote: Dec 29th, 2022, 5:11 pm Where are the snowplows?
Silly question.
Sure as night becomes day, the media releases tell the public...."we are over budget"
Yep," 200 thousand over and the winter is not over".
So the snow budget had 5 hundred thousand left over from last year.
What happened to that money?
Good question.
Does anyone know what this seasons snow removal budget was?? That would be interesting.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Would have been a good time to remove all the slush, as we know when it turns to ice it truly makes driving on any street a bad treat!
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Ken7 wrote: Dec 30th, 2022, 9:59 am Does anyone know what this seasons snow removal budget was?? That would be interesting.
2.2 million

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... on-the-way
marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by marvin gardens »

Lots of comments about snow removal.
One thread I think has cornered the problem.
The crews don't have any clear plan and method for snow removal.
History shows for some reason, the heads of the department keeps changing.
Endless media releases each year about "over budget" Bylaw fining people for not removing snow from their sidewalks.
The same story every winter.
Is there anyone that has spent any time learning about snow removal in "snow cities" of a similar size? What type of equipment is required etc.,
Not likely.
In 1976 arriving in Kelowna, I witnessed a D8 Cat grader with a wing blade trying to remove snow from city streets.
If the photos are current, there are 2 similar machines working Glenmore and Spall Roads.
Hey this is 2022. :200:

Return to “Central Okanagan”