BuildOrBuy | A++ | Computers

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
DataCruncher
Übergod

BuildOrBuy | A++ | Computers

Post by DataCruncher »

One of the most informative channels I've yet come across.
Produced by an older gent with infinite wisdom whom goes into extensive details covering numerous computer related questions.

Gill Boyd
https://www.youtube.com/@BuildOrBuy/videos
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
Jlabute
Guru

Re: BuildOrBuy | A++ | Computers

Post by Jlabute »

Build or Buy?

There may be the occasion when a particular form factor of computer is not normally available.. maybe like a NUC. Otherwise, I prefer to build my computers so I have control over the part quality, and i know the machine intimately. If that ever matters. Infinite wisdom comes from playing around.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

Jlabute wrote: Jan 3rd, 2023, 6:05 pm Build or Buy?

There may be the occasion when a particular form factor of computer is not normally available.. maybe like a NUC. Otherwise, I prefer to build my computers so I have control over the part quality, and i know the machine intimately. If that ever matters. Infinite wisdom comes from playing around.
Agree, though it takes some time getting up to speed into the new builds - comparing the newest and latest releases, hrdwr/sftwr compatibility, bios tweaks, chipsets, etc... to get the best bang for the buck. Not to mention ins/outs of Win o/s.

And though I've tried to watch many channels (some too heavy with gaming promo, adds...)
I can appreciate his way of teaching - less all the bells whistles and flashers.
He creates a much more relaxed environment for the viewers,IMO.

Am hoping to find all the right answers before I commit. Also holding off to see if prices drop this year.
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Jlabute wrote: Jan 3rd, 2023, 6:05 pm Build or Buy? ... I prefer to build my computers so I have control over the part quality
And the warranty! I built a computer over five years ago and most of the parts are still under warranty. Buy one with a one year warranty and that's all you get on all the parts including the PSU, GPU card, CPU, RAM and drives. It's not worth it!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I'm definitely in the "build your own" group.

The only thing I've had die on me in almost fifteen years, was a power supply, and after it went I understood the saying "you get what you pay for."
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

Threadropper PRO

(must be one that fell off the conveyor)

[icon_lol2.gif]

TDRP111.jpg
https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-9hmc62g4 ... -_-Product
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Yikes! Over $3K with taxes and I don't even see a cooler mentioned.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

DataCruncher wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 5:00 pm Threadropper PRO

(must be one that fell off the conveyor)

[icon_lol2.gif]

TDRP111.jpg

https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-9hmc62g4 ... -_-Product
Haha, yeah, as you run your software, it’ll get slower and slower as threads are dropped.

$2000 chip, $1000 for the mobo. More than what I need :-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Memory Express puts together some really good and reasonably priced machines. That would be my favorite source. You can find them online.
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

"as you run your software, it’ll get slower and slower as threads are dropped."
[icon_lol2.gif]
I guess someone was having fun that day building the page.

---

I did cross ref with MemXprs, didn't see much of a difference, however thank you for the lead. :up: :up:

--

Too bad there is nowhere for consumers to buy direct and build at wholesale prices, this since many returns are usually limited to 30 days from retailers, then we have to go to the manufacturer.

All said,
anyone know what the markup in computer components are?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Haven't watched the video yet, but here's my perspective on build vs buy:
- If you want a basic computer that suits the basic needs of 90% of the population (basically it can run a browser, play basic games, run a tax program, etc) buy it. You may be able to build cheaper but it's not worth the time.
- If you want a high performance PC (usually for gaming but there are other use cases) building is a good option but consider the value of your own time. As mentioned - for me I end up spending a good 8+ hours researching every time I do a build because it's been a few years. Then there's the actual build time, OS install, etc. It could work out to the equivalent of 2 days work/income. If you include the value of your time, it may be cheaper/better to buy vs build. For me - I enjoy the process and consider those hours as entertainment time and also an investment in my education in keeping current with technology.

If you can't tell, I usually build - but for most of my family coming to me for help getting a new computer I usually steer them toward a basic mid-level prebuilt device.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yeah, there is a certain amount of research. Best bang for the buck, and what-ever requirements there may be. Personally, I like to build best bang for the bux computers with the lowest power requirements. That takes a certain amount of time. Probably more than it is worth. On the other-side, you buy a pre-made Dell or HP or something, and you may not know quite exactly what is in the box, or there might be something proprietary and difficult to replace. Such goofy things have happened in the past. I am not sure if manufacturers still do this sort of stuff. Could be worth-while to have them assembled for you, from memoryexpress or where-ever.

I still prefer to do it myself.
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

Jlabute wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 6:05 pm Yeah, there is a certain amount of research. Best bang for the buck, and what-ever requirements there may be. Personally, I like to build best bang for the bux computers with the lowest power requirements. That takes a certain amount of time. Probably more than it is worth. On the other-side, you buy a pre-made Dell or HP or something, and you may not know quite exactly what is in the box, or there might be something proprietary and difficult to replace. Such goofy things have happened in the past. I am not sure if manufacturers still do this sort of stuff. Could be worth-while to have them assembled for you, from memoryexpress or where-ever.

I still prefer to do it myself.
Agree, and have custom build all but my first computer.

I highlighted couple things you mentioned above and have wondered if it makes a difference.
For example, if I see a rendering card on Ebay and it says it came from a Dell computer, does that mean it won't work in another brand?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

If it came from Dell or HP it doesn't necessarily mean it won't work but there's a good chance it's a cheap product.

Dell used to have proprietary power supplies but I think they quit doing that.

Of the two if I had to buy something factory made I'd go with Dell long before I chose HP, but I wouldn't get their cheapest offering either. Mid priced Dell stuff isn't that bad and though it's been quite a while, I also found their support to be decent. My son bought a brand new PC from them and couldn't get it to run so he called me. I checked it out and the hard drive was a dud. Dell got a replacement to me in less than two days.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

One thing I'd be cautious about when buying a computer apart from the warranty is the power supply. This is where builders can really cheap out to save money. The CPU, RAM, drives, cooling will be brand names, the mobo most likely but the PSU could be anything. I'd be questioning the brand used, the peak/continuous wattage, the PLUS rating, percentage of overhead wattage, room to replace if needed etc. I've never had a CPU, mobo or RAM fail but I've had a PSU die. Jlabute mentioned proprietary. I've heard stories of PSU wires soldered to the mobo. Hopefully they stopped doing this years ago along with the backup battery although Alienware was recently still soldering system RAM to it's laptop mobo's!
Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 9th, 2023, 2:03 pm If it came from Dell or HP it doesn't necessarily mean it won't work but there's a good chance it's a cheap product.
HP? Horrible company IMO. They don't make anything and their warranty repair is outsourced. After they purposely slowed my laptop speed in BIOS so the GPU would last just past the warranty I will never buy anything HP again. There used to be a website called HP Lies that had thousands and thousands of complaints against HP. I don't know how they stay in business. My guess is the huge markup on toner and printer inks. I think Dell is okay.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”