New Kelowna car idling bylaw

Old Sailor
Board Meister

Re: New Kelowna car idling bylaw

Post by Old Sailor »

Well if they were smart (which we know they are not) it would be heated with an RV propane heater.
Hello Darkness my old friend...I stood up too fast again!
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

My bet would be, .. they (the bylaws) would be out and about for a first few weeks "educating" motorists, and thereafter they would just give it up altogether. Stupid laws could never survive the test of reality.
Hornswoggle
Fledgling

Post by Hornswoggle »

Some dude sitting in macdonalds parking lot 45 minutes in his van, idling having coffee reading his paper
Call bylaw!!!
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Hornswoggle wrote: Jan 4th, 2023, 6:22 am Some dude sitting in macdonalds parking lot 45 minutes in his van, idling having coffee reading his paper
Call bylaw!!!
And how would that bother you?
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

BC Landlord wrote: Jan 4th, 2023, 10:04 am
Hornswoggle wrote: Jan 4th, 2023, 6:22 am Some dude sitting in macdonalds parking lot 45 minutes in his van, idling having coffee reading his paper
Call bylaw!!!
I prefer to do my part to help stop climate change... it would bother me if someone were idling for 45 minutes because I don't like 40 degree days in the summer. Neither does my vegetable garden.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

dirtybiker wrote: Jan 3rd, 2023, 1:40 pm So I guess this unit creates it's heat with unicorn farts.

tsk, tsk.

https://www.kelowna.ca/our-community/ne ... cold-spell
so would bylaw give them a ticket, they should should they not ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

TMBOkanagan wrote: Jan 4th, 2023, 1:26 pm
I prefer to do my part to help stop climate change... it would bother me if someone were idling for 45 minutes because I don't like 40 degree days in the summer. Neither does my vegetable garden.
And, .. by how much have you stopped it so far? Or, .. by how much the climate has changed by someone idling for 45 min? Any number?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I don't believe that someone would hang around and record someone idling for 45 minutes in these sub-zero temps, without starting and running their own car to stay warm themselves.
Did they drivee around the block a few times so that they would not get a ticket themselves?

I call BS on this person's story.
Bring back the LIKE button.
spooker

Post by spooker »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 4th, 2023, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 4th, 2023, 2:39 pm I don't believe that someone would hang around and record someone idling for 45 minutes in these sub-zero temps, without starting and running their own car to stay warm themselves.
Did they drivee around the block a few times so that they would not get a ticket themselves?

I call BS on this person's story.
If it wasn't for the sub-zero temps, how could anyone tell that the idling car was actually running......except for the the steam coming from the exhaust pipe?
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 4th, 2023, 2:39 pm I don't believe that someone would hang around and record someone idling for 45 minutes in these sub-zero temps, without starting and running their own car to stay warm themselves.
The vast majority of citizens would not care. And bylaw officers would usually not go out, without a complaint. And those who would complain are such a tiny minority of zealots and ideologues, that bylaws could easily brush them off without risking any repercussions. I bet you a few weeks or months from now, this bylaw will be just forgotten. And that would be well deserved.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

BC Landlord wrote: Jan 4th, 2023, 5:03 pm
The vast majority of citizens would not care. And bylaw officers would usually not go out, without a complaint. And those who would complain are such a tiny minority of zealots and ideologues, that bylaws could easily brush them off without risking any repercussions. I bet you a few weeks or months from now, this bylaw will be just forgotten. And that would be well deserved.
This by-law will be weaponized by all the neighbourhood Karens. They will just plug up our court system with more frivolous complaints.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 4th, 2023, 5:43 pm
BC Landlord wrote: Jan 4th, 2023, 5:03 pm
This by-law will be weaponized by all the neighbourhood Karens. They will just plug up our court system with more frivolous complaints.
.........and the "Karen Rats" will have to be in court also............that's where the fun begins.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Then you should have started complaint 30 + years ago.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Tankur wrote: Jan 5th, 2023, 5:12 am

Then you should have started complaint 30 + years ago.
Somebody idling their car for 45 minutes is not the cause of the 40c. I don't know why everyone is freaking out about it being 40 degrees here. Every year for decades it would reach the high 30's and even hit 40c sometimes. I used to live in the Okanagan in the 80's before moving up north for 10 years. It hit 40 then as well. There are multiple reasons why we have mild winters and hot summers, Pineapple express Jetstream from Hiawaii, Mountain Range Protection from northern artic winds, etc.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius

Return to “Central Okanagan”