Culiacán

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Culiacán

Post by JLives »

Queen K wrote: Jan 5th, 2023, 10:06 pm And how is that better? Being in lock down for their own protection? and that's just one area, there are others with actual buses burned to the ground.
I Think wrote: Jan 5th, 2023, 7:31 pm Have received word from a Mexican family and a couple of friends in Mazatlan, they tell me they are safe, but the stores are closed, everyone is staying in side.
My friends just returned from a Cancun trip. So glad that they are out. This is just the beginning. And bad for business.
The violence is/was localized. Mexico is a pretty big country. I have a few different friends who flew out of Mazatlan last week (after being abandoned by Sunwing for several days). All was well. I was in Puerto Vallarta last week. No problems.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Queen K wrote: Jan 5th, 2023, 10:06 pm And how is that better? Being in lock down for their own protection? and that's just one area, there are others with actual buses burned to the ground.
I Think wrote: Jan 5th, 2023, 7:31 pm Have received word from a Mexican family and a couple of friends in Mazatlan, they tell me they are safe, but the stores are closed, everyone is staying in side.
My friends just returned from a Cancun trip. So glad that they are out. This is just the beginning. And bad for business.
Well I'll just say that your dramatics aren't helping anyone, particularly those who are down there.

Are you actually keeping up on news from locals who live there? I am.

I spent over two hours on a forum in Mazatlan populated by ex pats and no one there is freaking out.

Lockdowns for safety sake are simply a part of life down there.

All airports in Sinaloa State are currently closed so yeah there will be some travel disruption, sort of like we had here over the holidays.

Culiacan is where the main problems are, but then again it's not as if gun battles with Sicarios is anything new down there. The locals live with that and corrupt police all their lives.

The locals are also very good at ensuring that their visitors are and stay safe.

Come to think of it I seem to recall a gang gun battle right here in Kelowna not that many years back.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 5th, 2023, 10:05 pm Looking through this thread I feel compelled to remind people to not believe everything you read.

One person was mentioning Mazatlan was on fire and making it sound like a war zone, yet I'm in constant touch with my friends who are there and the only thing going on is that everyone is on lockdown for their own protection. Roads into Mazatlan are blocked and it also has geography working in its favor.

I'll believe my friends before what some glory seeking journalist wannabes write to get clicks.
So so true! :up:
Took me a while to get through to my Maz contact. They were at work and were very busy. The Mazatlan on fire comment made them ask ... huh? News to them. The stores closed down and everyone staying put was the only thing they knew. Maz isn't Culiacan and that's where the vast majority of violence is occurring.
The only thing that had them concerned was getting guests that are supposed to leave on Friday situated for an extended stay IF the airport stays closed and IF the airlines cancel flights. Also they are now working a bit of overtime and are concerned regarding fresh food for breakfast for the guests. Maybe have to change the menu a bit.
Otherwise they say there is no real threat in Maz. An increased presence of police up and down Av Camaron Sabalo (main street in Golden Zone) was noticed. They haven't heard any gunfire or explosions and have no reports of either. At least any where near the tourist areas.
The highway near the airport had a blockage but was cleared. Some of the news I keep seeing is for small towns north and northeast of Culiacan. News from Mazatlan Post and Mexico Star, 2 english language news sites I occasionally look at.
https://www.mexicostar.com/news/2733229 ... ers-arrest
https://themazatlanpost.com/
And of course (I use "translate this page" in Chrome) extensive coverage and stories of Culiacanazo 2.0
https://www.debate.com.mx/sinaloa/Asi-s ... -0310.html
https://www.debate.com.mx/policiacas/Hi ... -0287.html
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

This morning got this email about Mazatlan:
"I was quite shocked when I spoke to LXXX. The whole city was shut down,
And on the outskirts of the city there were road blocks and burned cars.
Amazing how one group can bring a city to its knees"".
Last edited by I Think on Jan 6th, 2023, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

This is an interesting concept. We will find out soon whether coddling, hugs and kisses really do the job.

[Had the President asked us we’d have told him of our success handling the druggie issue.]
The President argues the confrontational tactics of his predecessors were unsuccessful and only caused more bloodshed, saying he would instead pursue a strategy of "hugs not bullets
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-64179356
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

El Cid webcam

Lots of traffic on Av Camaron Sabalos, ie: normal morning traffic

Playa Mazatlan Hotel webcams
https://www.hotelplayamazatlan.com/webcam/
I wish I was there today
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Well good for the business community that the cartels, who probably run the businesses with laundered money, saw that their tactics shot their cash registers in the foot.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/40 ... f-violence
In an update to its travel advisory for the country on Thursday evening, the Canadian government is recommending against non-essential travel to several states and regions including:

* all Sinaloa, except the city of Mazatlán
So far the only Canadian flight cancelled, that I have seen, is the YVR-MZT flight. Sunwing out of YLW looks to be delayed. But it's Sunwing so you never can tell. [icon_lol2.gif]
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JagXKR wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 11:19 am https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/40 ... f-violence
In an update to its travel advisory for the country on Thursday evening, the Canadian government is recommending against non-essential travel to several states and regions including:

* all Sinaloa, except the city of Mazatlán
So far the only Canadian flight cancelled, that I have seen, is the YVR-MZT flight. Sunwing out of YLW looks to be delayed. But it's Sunwing so you never can tell. [icon_lol2.gif]
Kelowna people are a lot tougher than those wimps from the lower mainland? What's a few gunshots and burned buses? We are talking all you can drink all inclusive holidays here!!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Dont know about today, but yesterday the major stores in Mazatlan were closed, the highways in and out of town were closed with burned out vehicles, and the Mexican family we are in touch with are staying inside as are the gringo's we are in touch with.
People we know who are here in Kelowna and who are planning to return to Mazatlan are keeping their fingers crossed but plan on going within the next two or three weeks, unless things change for the worse. These are people who have places they maintain in Maz, and have Mexican families that they are in telephone contact with.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Way to go and quote an article that's been snipped in order to generate fear and ad revenue. Here is a unclipped article.
And yes nothing to see here except for a fear mongering liar, Tina Dahl.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/40 ... l-violence
Not all Canadians in Mazatlan were behind barricades.

Hailey Bronson said she expects to be heading home to Cochrane, Alta., as planned on Sunday, although a few of her friends had their flights rescheduled.
She has been staying in an apartment downtown and said it was strange to see the usually busy town of Mazatlan turn silent Thursday.
“I’ve never seen Mazatlan so quiet in my life,” Bronson said in a message Friday. “But today everything is back to normal.”
But you are right, the video links I provided show no one on the beach or restaurant at the Playa. No traffic moving down the main drag. All shut down.....NOT.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 11:24 am Kelowna people are a lot tougher than those wimps from the lower mainland? What's a few gunshots and burned buses? We are talking all you can drink all inclusive holidays here!!
No gunshots in Mazatlan. There was, for a short time, a blockage on the highway outside of Maz that was cleared up fairly quickly.
And many of the hotels in the Golden Zone are not all-inclusives. The GZ has many great restaurants to visit. The ones in El Centro are fantastic with more of a real Mexican appeal. Not the US/Cdn version .... eck. :thumbsdown:
Also I found certain days were great on the beach because of departures and arrivals of tourists. Friday is one of them. Sat, Sun and cruise ship days are much much busier.
I would bet money Lucky B's and Pinups will be busy and rockin' tonight. :D
Would go there right after a great meal at Panchos. Which is open right now.
https://www.facebook.com/panchosrestoran/
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Hey Jag, If you can get down to the Plaza in old town, walk past the music school go about 2 blocks to Helarte for an icecream the owners sent me an email yesterday and are in touch with some other locals here.
Sometimes at Pedro & Lola's you can catch Lori Davidson singing and a guitar player called Nacho who is one of the best guitar players I have ever heard live. Angelina's is one of the best restaurants and of course Topolino's.
Spent several winters staying at the Belmar right on the Malacon in Olas Altas. Lordy I miss Maz.
Last edited by I Think on Jan 6th, 2023, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JagXKR wrote: Jan 6th, 2023, 12:32 pm
No gunshots in Mazatlan. There was, for a short time, a blockage on the highway outside of Maz that was cleared up fairly quickly.
And many of the hotels in the Golden Zone are not all-inclusives. The GZ has many great restaurants to visit. The ones in El Centro are fantastic with more of a real Mexican appeal. Not the US/Cdn version .... eck. :thumbsdown:
Also I found certain days were great on the beach because of departures and arrivals of tourists. Friday is one of them. Sat, Sun and cruise ship days are much much busier.
I would bet money Lucky B's and Pinups will be busy and rockin' tonight. :D
Would go there right after a great meal at Panchos. Which is open right now.
https://www.facebook.com/panchosrestoran/
Haven't been there since 1992 so I'll take your word for it. Back then Senor Frogs was "the place to be"....
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Jan 6th, 2023, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “World”