Any small engine/snowmobile mechanics on here?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Any small engine/snowmobile mechanics on here?

Post by TylerM4 »

I think I have an easy question...

Sled is a 2001 Polaris 800 Rocky Mountain King (RMK) (2 cylinder 2 stroke) that I picked up for a song and have been working on getting it running.

The question is: What are the small hoses (fuel lines I think - they're yellowish and see-thru) that go from the carburetors to the air box for?

More info: I have the air box (is that the right word?) removed with those two lines disconnected. Doesn't look like the air box is ment to open up and can't tell what's inside. I've been able to get the sled started, but once started fuel comes out of one of those lines that would normally be connected to the air box. The other carb/line stays dry. I'm thinking fuel shouldn't be coming out of that line and I have a carb problem but would like to understand better before taking it apart? Reminds me of the vent line on my dirtbike carb that only sees fuel when the bike has been dropped on it's side.

Thanks!
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Any small engine/snowmobile mechanics on here?

Post by YzzzR1 »

It looks like the air horn is rebuildable but you have to cut a hole to get at the element.

https://www.startinglineproducts.com/sn ... -horn.html

Not sure what carb you have. Maybe this can explain the air horn fuel lines. Might take a while to load up.

https://app.box.com/s/w7z6tnjy227xoz0e4 ... 6963546124

Do you have one of these?

https://app.box.com/s/w7z6tnjy227xoz0e4 ... 6963546124
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Thanks! Doing a little more research and have confirmed that they are vent lines. Fuel coming out of the vent lines appears to be a common problem, with the fix usually being to clean the carb - specifically the float valve.

Looks like I'll be taking a carb apart shortly.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

I haven't rebuilt a carb in years. I'm not sure of your abilities but it's nothing to be intimidated with, just keep the parts in order and organized. With multiple carbs, the trick is to get the throttles synced and the air flow balanced between the carbs. Good luck. :130:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

YzzzR1 wrote: Jan 7th, 2023, 3:28 am I haven't rebuilt a carb in years. I'm not sure of your abilities but it's nothing to be intimidated with, just keep the parts in order and organized. With multiple carbs, the trick is to get the throttles synced and the air flow balanced between the carbs. Good luck. :130:
Thanks. I'm no expert either but have taken a few apart and successfully put them back together. You're absolutely right - keeping the carb linkages aligned and balanced is more of a concern for me vs taking the carb apart itself. Especially because I believe it's a float valve problem and experience has shown me that the float valve can be accessed/cleaned while the carb is still 80% assembled.

Owners manual you posted has instructions on how to setup the carbs to work together so that's the 1st place I'll go when it's time. Kinda hoping I can remove them as a pair and fix the float valve that way so I don't have to go through that process.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

TylerM4 wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 8:53 am Thanks. I'm no expert either but have taken a few apart and successfully put them back together. You're absolutely right - keeping the carb linkages aligned and balanced is more of a concern for me vs taking the carb apart itself. Especially because I believe it's a float valve problem and experience has shown me that the float valve can be accessed/cleaned while the carb is still 80% assembled.

Owners manual you posted has instructions on how to setup the carbs to work together so that's the 1st place I'll go when it's time. Kinda hoping I can remove them as a pair and fix the float valve that way so I don't have to go through that process.
That manual seemed pretty comprehensive.

In some ways, I still miss the good old days of setting carbs up, points/dwell, timing, etc. Sadly those days are gone with all the 'lectronics controlling everything. Oh well, probably for the better. :130:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

YzzzR1 wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 9:02 am In some ways, I still miss the good old days of setting carbs up, points/dwell, timing, etc. Sadly those days are gone with all the 'lectronics controlling everything. Oh well, probably for the better.
Buy a pre 79 Fiat spider.. :up:

I have an old snow blower that needs some loving. Carb set up mostly. Have to find a competent small engine place in or around Penticton.
Used to take stuff to Summerland Rentals 10+ years ago as they had an amazing tech. Don't know if he is still there now though.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

seewood wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 9:30 am
YzzzR1 wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 9:02 am In some ways, I still miss the good old days of setting carbs up, points/dwell, timing, etc. Sadly those days are gone with all the 'lectronics controlling everything. Oh well, probably for the better.
Buy a pre 79 Fiat spider.. :up:

I have an old snow blower that needs some loving. Carb set up mostly. Have to find a competent small engine place in or around Penticton.
Used to take stuff to Summerland Rentals 10+ years ago as they had an amazing tech. Don't know if he is still there now though.
I stretch out to 6'4" so would probably need more leg room than what the Fiat has to offer. I even had to get offset Hwy pegs for the bike.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

seewood wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 9:30 am I have an old snow blower that needs some loving. Carb set up mostly. Have to find a competent small engine place in or around Penticton.
Might be too far for you to go but the guy in Kelowna at Hep's Service depot has always done a good job for me.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 9:59 am
seewood wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 9:30 am I have an old snow blower that needs some loving. Carb set up mostly. Have to find a competent small engine place in or around Penticton.
Might be too far for you to go but the guy in Kelowna at Hep's Service depot has always done a good job for me.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: Me too.
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

YzzzR1 wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 9:37 am I stretch out to 6'4" so would probably need more leg room than what the Fiat has to offer. I even had to get offset Hwy pegs for the bike.
A fellow I know on the island was 6'3" and around 250+. With the seat all the way back, he fit and drove the car for years, to the golf course mainly..
They are old school and very easy to work on and maintain with a few metric spanners. I have an 80 but they have a sort of electronic dist.
Bsuds wrote: Jan 8th, 2023, 9:59 am Might be too far for you to go but the guy in Kelowna at Hep's Service depot has always done a good job for me.
Thanks eh. We do pop up to Kelowna on occasion so maybe will look into that. :up:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

An update:

Took the carbs apart over the weekend and gave them a good cleaning. Everything looked pretty good in there and I didn't find any evidence of a problem with a float valve. Did find one jet that looked like it was blocked with debris tho. Gave it all a good cleaning and put it back together. Starts and runs like a dream now with no more fuel coming out of the vent line. Got to be a little careful with the pull cord. Just about put me on my rear as I'm used to having it give it a few long hard pulls, starts 1/2 way through the 1st pull now.

Now that it's running well, moving on to some maintenance and addressing some of the worst cosmetic problems.
- Need to do an oil change.
- Seat is in horrible condition with lots of tears. Foam underneath looks salvageable tho. Considering recovering it.
- Windshield looks bad with paint coming off of it. Will probably attempt to repaint vs replace.
- Headlight plastic is super yellowed, darn near orange. Would like to see if I can polish or find a way to get it looking clear again.
- Hood is missing some vent inserts and/or they're bent.
- Foam filter for the air intake is toast. Need to replace or figure something out. It's not an item that's meant to be replaced like the air filter in a car.
- Exhaust system only has about 1/2 of the springs in place to hold the components together.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

TylerM4 wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 8:26 am
- Headlight plastic is super yellowed, darn near orange. Would like to see if I can polish or find a way to get it looking clear again.
I have read that polishing with toothpaste can work wonders with discolored headlights.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

TylerM4 wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 8:26 am An update:

Took the carbs apart over the weekend and gave them a good cleaning. Everything looked pretty good in there and I didn't find any evidence of a problem with a float valve. Did find one jet that looked like it was blocked with debris tho. Gave it all a good cleaning and put it back together. Starts and runs like a dream now with no more fuel coming out of the vent line. Got to be a little careful with the pull cord. Just about put me on my rear as I'm used to having it give it a few long hard pulls, starts 1/2 way through the 1st pull now.

Now that it's running well, moving on to some maintenance and addressing some of the worst cosmetic problems.
- Need to do an oil change.
- Seat is in horrible condition with lots of tears. Foam underneath looks salvageable tho. Considering recovering it.
- Windshield looks bad with paint coming off of it. Will probably attempt to repaint vs replace.
- Hood is missing some vent inserts and/or they're bent.
- Foam filter for the air intake is toast. Need to replace or figure something out. It's not an item that's meant to be replaced like the air filter in a car.
- Exhaust system only has about 1/2 of the springs in place to hold the components together.
:up: :130:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Bsuds wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 8:43 am I have read that polishing with toothpaste can work wonders with discolored headlights.
I've heard the same. Also heard that the yellowing can come back quickly and I should coat the lights with a UV blocking clear paint to help prevent the re-occurrence. Lots of info out there I'm sure, just need to spend some time to learn the best approach and techniques.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”