First Lutheran Church Priorities

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
ami2much4u
Board Meister

First Lutheran Church Priorities

Post by ami2much4u »

I was in Kelowna, B.C., visiting a school attached to the First Lutheran Church.

While leaving the building I had to pass through the lobby of the church.

I can’t resist flipping through their racks of self-help pamphlets. By god, you will never know whan some information might come in handy. Or sometimes when I know of another struggling, I leave these “insights” around.

My kids hate when I do this. Not only do I leave pamphlets around, I send them e-mails about the harmful effects of certain drugs, leads to jobs opportunities, and what to do if you are ever arrested, lol.

Well, when they were younger, I went so far as to actually stick things up on the walls and fridge and stuff. That wasn’t too bad, when they were younger.

”Don’t forget to flush the toilet and wash your hands”. That one was just for a short while.

Well, back to the topic of the First Lutheran Church…

As I was leaving the church lobby, I grabbed a monthly newletter called “Homeward Bound”.

There are numerous references squared as to upcoming events.

Here is a direct quote from one newflash.

“Carrying it to Completion”

“Some have recently asked “What priority are we concentrating on now?” As spring is almost here, funds are being collected for Church Landscaping - Lakeshore Frontage. We ask the Lord to give you guidance and bless you abundantly as you prayerfully consider this priority. $219,519 is now the balance required to complete our goal of $327,350.”

I find this totally off the wall and unbelievable in a town with hundreds of homeless people. Cannot any church members pitch in to plant some flowers.

The price seems quite ridiculous too. But then remember this is Kelowna.

At least the homeless people will be able to stop and smell the flowers on their way to ask for help. A church’s priorities are a relection of it’s…priorities.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: First Lutheran Church Priorities

Post by ferri »

sick. i was raised in the Lutheran church and i can tell you that they aren't all like that. you are right. the congregation should be doing it instead of hiring someone! that's what my church did (still does actually) in fact...just last Sunday they spent the day in the basement putting down new floor, painting, that sort of stuff. spiffying up the Sunday school rooms. they also take turns cleaning the church. maybe here it is the same old story. no volunteers. they would rather open their wallets than to actually do something. :(
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

ferri wrote:sick. i was raised in the Lutheran church and i can tell you that they aren't all like that. you are right. the congregation should be doing it instead of hiring someone! that's what my church did (still does actually) in fact...just last Sunday they spent the day in the basement putting down new floor, painting, that sort of stuff. spiffying up the Sunday school rooms. they also take turns cleaning the church. maybe here it is the same old story. no volunteers. they would rather open their wallets than to actually do something. :(

I in no way mean to put down any religion. Sorry if i offend.

I don't know if they are hiring someone, but at that cost, it looks like it.

I know there are a lot of volunteers here, so I don't know what's up with that.

I just find it odd to have that as a priority, when there are so many other better causes to put the money towards.

I'm glad you agree.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i wasn't offended by what you said, but i am offended that they are putting that first and foremost it seems. maybe they can afford to do both? i do know getting volunteers for anything is easy, getting them to actually show up is another thing. :lol:

by the way...if it hasn't been said...welcome to the forum! :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

thanks ferri
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Shocker!!!! They are asking God to bless them with money! Aye Carumba - Go or no God this pisses me off!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

I was thinking that they could pay the willing homeless to help out and it could be a beautiful display of people coming together. Just a thought.

But even with a bit of cash, finding affordable housing is another thing...

Just the same, this is a display of vanity!

I am curious...are they redeveloping the land or landscaping?
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

:dyinglaughing: Is God not the ultimate landscaper? He has Eden on his resume...

Actually why not just go to one of the millions of landscaping companies in Kelowna and offer them a tax write off? Not sure if that is doable but i think it would be.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”