Police arrest 3 in Rail Trail beating

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Police arrest 3 in Rail Trail beating

Post by alanjh595 »

my5cents wrote: Jan 12th, 2023, 5:33 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Jan 12th, 2023, 4:27 pm

Bail is determined by "Flight risk".

If someone has no money and no way to take flight is different than their choice to not appear.

If they "take flight" or have the resources to do so, are subject to a higher bail. In this case, the accused was penniless, cold, and hungry. He will turn up sooner or later and near-by.

Don't forget, he is still just "accused". He can't get very far, he will be caught again and will be facing an extra criminal charge.
I think you are defining "bail" as money paid to the court to allow release ? In most cases in Canada if a person is suitable for pre-trial release they are release with certain conditions, "not to enter any Safeway Store", "not to contact or communicate with <the victim>" there are a zillion different conditions, none of which are accompanied by $. There are a host of various types of releases. Many times they don't involve money being paid (unlike the US) the reasoning being that the wealthy and the less wealthy should be more or less equal before the law.
The rich don't commit such low-level crimes such as this one. They would be released on a PTA. NO bail required.
Bring back the LIKE button.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

He can hide out by going to the DTES, or a similar homeless encampments in Calgary or any other big city. Many people in these places are more or less anonymous.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

DarbyD wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 8:53 am He can hide out by going to the DTES, or a similar homeless encampments in Calgary or any other big city. Many people in these places are more or less anonymous.
How are they supposed to get there?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 12th, 2023, 6:01 pm The rich don't commit such low-level crimes such as this one. They would be released on a PTA. NO bail required.
"low-level crimes such as this one".....? Robbery ? Your bar is pretty high if you think robbery is a low-level crime
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

my5cents wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 9:38 am
alanjh595 wrote: Jan 12th, 2023, 6:01 pm The rich don't commit such low-level crimes such as this one. They would be released on a PTA. NO bail required.
"low-level crimes such as this one".....? Robbery ? Your bar is pretty high if you think robbery is a low-level crime
It is a "low level" crime that a wealthy person would perform.
Robbery is a high level that a homeless person would conduct. They generally participate in non-violent theft under $5K.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 9:10 am
DarbyD wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 8:53 am He can hide out by going to the DTES, or a similar homeless encampments in Calgary or any other big city. Many people in these places are more or less anonymous.
They can steal a Ford F350 in 12 seconds and ride in style.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 10:58 am
alanjh595 wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 9:10 am

They can steal a Ford F350 in 12 seconds and ride in style.
You said FORD....please are you a defense lawyer?? We're not biting that line.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... mping-bail, so does the judge give him bail again today :200: , known criminals who have jumped bail should never get bail again imo
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

the truth wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 1:41 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... mping-bail, so does the judge give him bail again today :200: , known criminals who have jumped bail should never get bail again imo
Bail is not imposed or influenced by public opinion. It is based upon Canadian LAWS.

If punishment was based upon public opinion, we would have hangings and canings in city park on every Sunday of the year.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

the truth wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 1:41 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... mping-bail, so does the judge give him bail again today :200: , known criminals who have jumped bail should never get bail again imo
If the Judge grants a bail option (remember last time it wasn't even monitary) then the Judge should be removed.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

In my opinion jail should be reserved for people that do violence in their crime. Since we have a jail shortage problem it appears because they seem to let people out early then why don't we just use the jails for the violent criminals only.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

There are people mixing two types of incarceration. Custody for those convicted and sentenced to custody and custody for those awaiting trial, who, for one reason or another, the courts feel need to be kept in custody.

It's hard to comment because of this mix of types of incarceration.

For those who've said only violent criminal should be kept in custody. For someone awaiting trial, who continually fails to appear, what do you propose ? What about someone who has been apprehended for a non-violent crime, but when released continues to commit crimes ?

As for someone who has been convicted of a crime.... So a non-violent fraudster who has victimized many pensioners of their life savings,,,, who has disposed of the proceeds of their crime, just let them out on probation ? Not violent, so no prison ???

There are many elements to punishment, a deterrent for the offender, and also for others who might consider doing the same.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

common_sense_guy wrote: Jan 26th, 2023, 11:16 am In my opinion jail should be reserved for people that do violence in their crime. Since we have a jail shortage problem it appears because they seem to let people out early then why don't we just use the jails for the violent criminals only.

Have to ask, what is the deterrent then?

Break into someone's home while they are away. Not violent, would you want them to be home free, no pun intended to come back once you have bought new stereo equipment after the hassles with your insurance?
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Ken7 wrote: Jan 26th, 2023, 3:09 pm
common_sense_guy wrote: Jan 26th, 2023, 11:16 am In my opinion jail should be reserved for people that do violence in their crime. Since we have a jail shortage problem it appears because they seem to let people out early then why don't we just use the jails for the violent criminals only.

Have to ask, what is the deterrent then?

Break into someone's home while they are away. Not violent, would you want them to be home free, no pun intended to come back once you have bought new stereo equipment after the hassles with your insurance?
Obviously not home free. Just not jail for nonviolent. Does a person really have to spell everything out for people I guess so. How many people do you think go to jail for breaking into a house as it is right now.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

common_sense_guy wrote: Jan 26th, 2023, 4:09 pm Obviously not home free. Just not jail for nonviolent. Does a person really have to spell everything out for people I guess so. How many people do you think go to jail for breaking into a house as it is right now.
Yes, perhaps spell it out. Ah, for one thing you were talking about NON-VIOLENT, burglary (breaking into a house) is a non-violent crime. If a criminal breaks into an occupied home that is robbery not burglary.

The classification of incarceration for these two is PRE-TRIAL CUSTODY. So we're not talking about "people who do <offense> don't go to jail". These guys are innocent until proven guilty, but there is a requirement that they show up for court appearances. Every time they've been let out they disappear. In addition they crime they committed is a violent crime (robbery).

This isn't really a good place to discuss "non-violent" offenders, since these two were anything but non-violent, but keeping with the concept of no jail for non-violent offenders. What do you propose ??????

Return to “Central Okanagan”