Ipad/iphone charging cables

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Ipad/iphone charging cables

Post by Catsumi »

I have discarded so many ipad (or iphone) recharger cables that I think they are made to last exactly 33 days and no more. This will help keep some out of the garbage, or the garden where I use them to tie up tomato plants

A friend just emailed me a youtube link showing how to preserve the cables for a much longer time. It is done simply by removing the ends with battered wires removed; removing the portion of the cable wires that have deteriorated and reinserting the cord back into the ends

Unfortunately I don’t know how to link a youtube but if you google, you will find the video:

Never throw away charging cables
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Ipad/iphone charging cables

Post by rustled »

This one?

Looks do-able!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

rustled wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 10:51 am This one?

Looks do-able!
You are such a bird dog rustled. Let me know if you try it successfully. I had just received 5 replacement cables thru Amazon so I will save them when they choke up and work on a batch of them.

Previously I had been cutting off the ends and using the cable as tomato plants
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I have had one for 10 years!
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I buy most of my cables from AliExpress and have never had one fray like that.
I only buy the corded ones and get them for a couple of bucks each.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

I have always used the cable provided by apple since the 1st Ipad. Never had an issue with the cables. I have purchased cables for use with the ipad/iphone from various sources and have had no issues with those as well. #shrugs
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

kelownman wrote: Jan 14th, 2023, 8:47 am I have always used the cable provided by apple since the 1st Ipad. Never had an issue with the cables. I have purchased cables for use with the ipad/iphone from various sources and have had no issues with those as well. #shrugs
I’m happy for you. I too used to pay 20.00 for an Apple cable (not braided) Sadly, they quit within 3 months. Performance no better than what I get from the 5.00 cables from Amazon outlet

Sudsy, did you open up the cable ends to have a look?

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote: Jan 14th, 2023, 10:11 am Sudsy, did you open up the cable ends to have a look?
I'm not going to open a perfectly working cable to look at it.

If one dies on me then I will try that'

If you look at an Apple cable there are 8 connections so seems a bit more complicated than the USB cable in the video.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Ok. Have you had cables fail to function after a period of time?

I seem to have bad luck in my purchases

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm trying to figure out why you're having such bad luck. I have had the same cords for as long as I can remember and one is frayed but still working (just don't leave it attached unattended). Even bought Dollarama ones when I was travelling. I'm a little more careful on how I pack them now and I don't leave them in the cold. It's a real mystery you have there.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Just born under a cable cloud, I guess.

In last 2 years have tossed at least 10

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's a lot.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Catsumi wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 6:48 pm
rustled wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 10:51 am This one?

Looks do-able!
You are such a bird dog rustled. Let me know if you try it successfully. I had just received 5 replacement cables thru Amazon so I will save them when they choke up and work on a batch of them.

Previously I had been cutting off the ends and using the cable as tomato plants
I can fully understand you not attempting to fix the cord. Skunks don't have opposable thumbs.

And have you considered coming over to the dark side, the android side? My cheap Chinese cables last two, maybe three years.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I have been in the iPhone world since… oh crap, the iPhone 4, whenever that came out. I haven’t had a problem with the OEM cords yet, off-brand ones are a different story… they are junk, and I won’t bother. Even the cord that live in the car has survived being savagely yanked when I try to exit the car with my phone is still plugged-in while it is in my pocket or purse. The only cord failure I have had was because of cats… one cord and multiple earbud cords lost to the little :cuss: ers.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

“Sigh”

I should be so lucky. I use my ipad probably 14-16 hours daily. It’s my radio, audiobook reader, youtube player, email, facetime, castanet screen, camera and photoshop, news provider and endless google searcher.

My new bag of 5 new cords with correct 5v/2.0-2.4A, 8 pin, copper inner cores, aluminum connectors will be opened soon I suppose.

Unknown

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”