featfan
Guru

Fog at the airport

Post by featfan »

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Fog at the airport

Post by Lady tehMa »

We so rarely get fog here in Kelowna, we've gotten rather spoiled.

I have family in Castlegar - they call it "Cancel-gar" because of the fog they get there.
I haven't failed until I quit.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

featfan wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 8:52 am https://ylw.kelowna.ca/passengers/arrivals

https://ylw.kelowna.ca/passengers/departures

Another bad day at the airport for flights in and out.
When fog happens there must be magnet built into YLW, because that area is fog collector.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Lady tehMa wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 9:44 am We so rarely get fog here in Kelowna, we've gotten rather spoiled.

I have family in Castlegar - they call it "Cancel-gar" because of the fog they get there.
Yeup ... Got a fare from YLW to Cancelgar years back . Canadian Regional couldn't land a plane there so they chartered a bus to take the passengers instead . Lucky me got the overflow of 4 passengers.

Good way to start a shift
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

MAPearce wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 11:21 am
Lady tehMa wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 9:44 am We so rarely get fog here in Kelowna, we've gotten rather spoiled.

Yeup ... Got a fare from YLW to Cancelgar years back . Canadian Regional couldn't land a plane there so they chartered a bus to take the passengers instead . Lucky me got the overflow of 4 passengers.

Good way to start a shift
That's at Castlegar, this topic is about Kelowna (YLW) airport.

There are many landings at YVR that have to divert to Abbotsford and bus it to YVR every year.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 11:37 am There are many landings at YVR that have to divert to Abbotsford and bus it to YVR every year.
Its very rare that a flight bound for YVR gets diverted to YXX due to visibility restrictions. YVR has a CAT III approach, which depending on the aircraft and pilot ratings, can have decision heights of 0 to 200 feet.

YLW does not have CAT III capabilities and the decision height and RVR minimums are much higher. The valley is exactly that, a valley and when fog rolls in it can stick for days.
Last edited by Saviour on Jan 15th, 2023, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Saviour wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 2:15 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 11:37 am There are many landings at YVR that have to divert to Abbotsford and bus it to YVR every year.
Its very rare that a flight bound for YVR gets diverted to YXX due to visibility restrictions. YVR has a CAT III approach, which depending on the aircraft and pilot ratings, can have decision heights of 0 to 200 feet.
And I was just telling a story about the rarity of cancelled flights at YLW compared to Cancelgar.....

And why I know it's called Cancelgar...

My bad ? not directed at you Saviour , but now that I can see what he said .... I had to . Sorry
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

alanjh595

[/quote]
[/quote]

I wonder why they don't use it more, millions of taxpayers dollars were spent by Nav Canada to put the system in (twice).
Wrong alignment the first time on the South end.
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

featfan wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 2:26 pm
I wonder why they don't use it more, millions of taxpayers dollars were spent by Nav Canada to put the system in (twice).
If you are referring to the ILS system, there are different levels of ILS systems and those come with varying decision heights and it is in use, constantly but that doesn't guarantee a flight can get in.

If a pilot flies the approach, there is a height and distance that the pilot has to have visual contact with the runway, if they do not, then they preform a missed approach and either try again or divert.

These required minimums vary from airport to airport and local geography such as mountains can limit those minimums. YLW does not have a CAT III like YVR.

Also, specific instrument approaches can require aircraft to be equipped with specific technology to utilize a lower minimum approach and the pilots have to be trained and rated for such an approach.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

One would think the technology is available to have markers in middle of the runway that are picked up by aircraft radar.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Saviour wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 2:42 pm
featfan wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 2:26 pm
If you are referring to the ILS system, there are different levels of ILS systems and those come with varying decision heights and it is in use, constantly but that doesn't guarantee a flight can get in.

If a pilot flies the approach, there is a height and distance that the pilot has to have visual contact with the runway, if they do not, then they preform a missed approach and either try again or divert.

These required minimums vary from airport to airport and local geography such as mountains can limit those minimums. YLW does not have a CAT III like YVR.

Also, specific instrument approaches can require aircraft to be equipped with specific technology to utilize a lower minimum approach and the pilots have to be trained and rated for such an approach.
Dood ! You fly ??
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

GordonH wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 2:50 pm One would think the technology is available to have markers in middle of the runway that are picked up by aircraft radar.
They do and YLW has one, its called an ILS but they are restricted by various factors such as topography.
MAPearce wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 2:55 pm Dood ! You fly ??
No.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Saviour wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 3:01 pm
GordonH wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 2:50 pm One would think the technology is available to have markers in middle of the runway that are picked up by aircraft radar.
They do and YLW has one, its called an ILS but they are restricted by various factors such as topography.
MAPearce wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 2:55 pm Dood ! You fly ??
No.
OK .. sounds like you know alot about this "stuff" ...

Good info . TY
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

MAPearce wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 3:53 pm
OK .. sounds like you know alot about this "stuff" ...

Good info . TY
I do know my stuff. However, I don't know everything and I'm sure there are some more knowledgable than myself who could add more valuable information.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Too bad this can’t happen july- august.

Return to “Central Okanagan”