Lake Country company pre-emptively issue layoff notice

Tankur
Board Meister

Re: Lake Country company pre-emptively issue layoff notice

Post by Tankur »

T-roy wrote: Jan 14th, 2023, 9:17 am First off this notice is not because of lack of work. We have people working overtime morning and night. This is because of a *bleep* match with workers and the company over safety. It started with over weight of 115000 lb roofs getting moved around on a 51 year old building that has not been well treated over the past 30 years. The company and the workers couldn’t agree on a safe way to move them so the company pushed for worksafe to come in and “school” the workers as the supervisor puts it. Well after wcb came in it was a scramble of changing hoist/ beam weights from 2 ton to 4 ton to 5 ton markings. You need a Bachelor degree in math just to try to understand the markings.Engineering couldn’t keep the same story. The engineer before was 80+ years old that couldn't get into any machines to even look at the building has now passed away.And when wcb came in and start looking around and start asking questions you better have some answers. I’ve worked at Sri for 3 decades. This is how the company treats employees, it’s trying to make a point if you call worksafe we will put you out of work! This same company has installed 65 cameras to pull the big brothers watching you card,it has years of grievances and arbitrations. It’s a toxic work place that has no morale. So this stuff will happen.
Is Barry still there 😂can only imagine
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

GordonH wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 10:07 am
Mazdatruck wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 9:31 am

From what I read the company is showing the employees what happens when you bring up safety concerns.

Everyone gets laid off.

If you keep your head down and just man up, everyone stays working. The lifts will be fine!

I've run into this type on thing before, not exactly but similar.

It's just very Okanagan business-esque.
Your right, employees should keep their mouth shut about safety issues. If an employee feels something is unsafe quit and move on.
That is not the right way to go about things.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

T-roy wrote: Jan 14th, 2023, 9:17 am First off this notice is not because of lack of work. We have people working overtime morning and night. This is because of a *bleep* match with workers and the company over safety. It started with over weight of 115000 lb roofs getting moved around on a 51 year old building that has not been well treated over the past 30 years. The company and the workers couldn’t agree on a safe way to move them so the company pushed for worksafe to come in and “school” the workers as the supervisor puts it. Well after wcb came in it was a scramble of changing hoist/ beam weights from 2 ton to 4 ton to 5 ton markings. You need a Bachelor degree in math just to try to understand the markings.Engineering couldn’t keep the same story. The engineer before was 80+ years old that couldn't get into any machines to even look at the building has now passed away.And when wcb came in and start looking around and start asking questions you better have some answers. I’ve worked at Sri for 3 decades. This is how the company treats employees, it’s trying to make a point if you call worksafe we will put you out of work! This same company has installed 65 cameras to pull the big brothers watching you card,it has years of grievances and arbitrations. It’s a toxic work place that has no morale. So this stuff will happen.
So if this is such a horribly "toxic" and possibly unsafe work environment why would anyone continue to work there for 30 years?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I got a job at SRI years ago, after a well vetted interview that included a drug test, mobility/flexibility/medical exam.

I quit after 2 weeks, due to the very toxic and dangerous environment.

That place is on my top 3 places to NOT work.
Bring back the LIKE button.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i got hired by SRI in the early 2000s . i also got hired by a different company on the same day and went to work for them instead . within 6 months SRI was laying everybody off. i am so glad i took that other job . it left me feeling like SRI is just using people to fill orders then dropping them as soon as it gets slow
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

voice of reason wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 1:55 pm ...it left me feeling like SRI is just using people to fill orders then dropping them as soon as it gets slow
How many companies retain employees when they have no work for those employees to do?
T-roy
Fledgling

Post by T-roy »

From what I read the company is showing the employees what happens when you bring up safety concerns.

Everyone gets laid off.

If you keep your head down and just man up, everyone stays working. The lifts will be fine!

I've run into this type on thing before, not exactly but similar.

It's just very Okanagan business-esque.
[/quote]
Tell that to the families of the guys that died in the crane accident down town. I’m sure they all Maned up!
trock

Post by trock »

I could tell you stories about that Workplace it's Union and "Most" management that would make you vomit in disgust ,BUT, apparently after 26+ years of service, I was asked to sign a NDA agreement for a measly 8-10 weeks of severance after aquiring a documented disease that didn't agree with working indoor at this construction factory that had/has no make up air inside ( probably pretty sure still doesn't). 26+ years <<<thats the truth.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

trock wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 5:40 pm I could tell you stories about that Workplace it's Union and "Most" management that would make you vomit in disgust ,BUT, apparently after 26+ years of service
Welcome to the forums.

So a 30 year employee and now a 26 year employee say the place is so horrible to work at yet both remained employees for decades. These are construction (home building) related jobs and the construction industry as a whole has been crying for good, actually any, employees for many years now so what has kept these employees at such a bad employer while they could have easily got employment with a better (?) employer?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Does the company have have a solid benefit package and demoralization regime? That combo might ensure people are misguidedly tethered.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

cv23 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 8:22 am
trock wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 5:40 pm I could tell you stories about that Workplace it's Union and "Most" management that would make you vomit in disgust ,BUT, apparently after 26+ years of service
Welcome to the forums.

So a 30 year employee and now a 26 year employee say the place is so horrible to work at yet both remained employees for decades. These are construction (home building) related jobs and the construction industry as a whole has been crying for good, actually any, employees for many years now so what has kept these employees at such a bad employer while they could have easily got employment with a better (?) employer?
Working indoors.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 8:58 am
cv23 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 8:22 am

Welcome to the forums.

Working indoors.
So staying dry is obviously more important than mental health or even physical health and "The Company" is to blame for everything?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

cv23 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 11:31 am
alanjh595 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 8:58 am

Working indoors.
So personal comfort is obviously more important than mental health or even physical health yet "The Company" is the problem?
Agreed but, there are trade-offs whichever way one chooses to pursue.

I suggest that; maybe when these two long-term employees started working there, conditions were good. Over time, they (circumstances) have slowly changed, but for them, they got promoted (along with increased pay) or graduated into positions that were conducive to their liking.
After 20+ years on the job, they are now "lead hands or supervisors" by now.

Just like working in a saw mill, you start out on the green chain and over time you become a forklift driver/machine operator/shift supervisor/grader to yard manager/etc.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

cv23 wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 2:58 pm
voice of reason wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 1:55 pm ...it left me feeling like SRI is just using people to fill orders then dropping them as soon as it gets slow
How many companies retain employees when they have no work for those employees to do?
normal manufacturing has a crew and enough work for the crew . sometimes they get behind and hie a guy or two . they dont hire 30 guys and ditch them 6 months down the road and use that as a business model . that is called exploiting labour . its not like they hire on 6 month contracts
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 11:49 am I suggest that; maybe when these two long-term employees started working there, conditions were good. Over time, they (circumstances) have slowly changed, but for them, they got promoted (along with increased pay) or graduated into positions that were conducive to their liking.
After 20+ years on the job, they are now "lead hands or supervisors" by now.

Just like working in a saw mill, you start out on the green chain and over time you become a forklift driver/machine operator/shift supervisor/grader to yard manager/etc.
An employee can't be forced to accept a promotion, especially in a union environment. I doubt they turned down any of the raises offered to them over time even though it was such a hell hole to work at.
Has ownership of the company changed?
If a place is indeed a toxic environment and a person makes the decision to stay on for even a day let alone stay for decades that is on them, no one else.

Return to “Central Okanagan”