Local governments awash in cash

Jonrox

Re: Local governments awash in cash

Post by Jonrox »

Typically reserves from surpluses are needed to fund future infrastructure projects, which can reach into the tens and hundreds of million of dollars. If they didn't run surpluses, there would be no way to pay for these projects when they're needed.

I believe municipalities also can't legally go into debt to pay for their yearly operating budget.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

why is lake country jacking up the property tax this year if they have a 12 mil surplus?

As such, council is looking at a 2023 property tax increase of somewhere between 9.95 and 19.02%. for context, the district says a 1% increase would result in about a $20 annual tax increase for the average single family home in Lake Country – which is worth $1.087 million.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... x-increase
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

voice of reason wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 2:34 pm why is lake country jacking up the property tax this year if they have a 12 mil surplus?

As such, council is looking at a 2023 property tax increase of somewhere between 9.95 and 19.02%. for context, the district says a 1% increase would result in about a $20 annual tax increase for the average single family home in Lake Country – which is worth $1.087 million.

This could explain it...
Jonrox wrote: Jan 3rd, 2023, 2:38 pm Typically reserves from surpluses are needed to fund future infrastructure projects, which can reach into the tens and hundreds of million of dollars. If they didn't run surpluses, there would be no way to pay for these projects when they're needed.

I believe municipalities also can't legally go into debt to pay for their yearly operating budget.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

As a Summerlander, I would like that surplus money to go toward local roads repair, some of which are in a pretty bad shape. Lowering taxes and utilities costs would come next on my wish list. An $11.1M is a huge amount of money for a municipality of 12k population.
Simkkin

Post by Simkkin »

the truth wrote: Jan 3rd, 2023, 8:40 am
perspicacious wrote: Jan 2nd, 2023, 10:49 pm

Good point... Coincidence? I think not!
x2 :smt045
[I think the city will need that money to defend him! I heard the city will get the bill]
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Jonrox wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 3:40 pm
voice of reason wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 2:34 pm why is lake country jacking up the property tax this year if they have a 12 mil surplus?

This could explain it...
Jonrox wrote: Jan 3rd, 2023, 2:38 pm Typically reserves from surpluses are needed to fund future infrastructure projects, which can reach into the tens and hundreds of million of dollars. If they didn't run surpluses, there would be no way to pay for these projects when they're needed.

they have taken so much tax money already that they have 12 mil left over . there is not supposed to be extra tax money . that means they took more than they needed . now they want to charge 9-19%increases? that isnt 1-4% ...19% is serious money. this is a gouge by lake country at a time when most people are stretched thinner than thin
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

voice of reason wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 12:52 pm
Jonrox wrote: Jan 16th, 2023, 3:40 pm
This could explain it...

they have taken so much tax money already that they have 12 mil left over . there is not supposed to be extra tax money . that means they took more than they needed . now they want to charge 9-19%increases? that isnt 1-4% ...19% is serious money. this is a gouge by lake country at a time when most people are stretched thinner than thin
There is supposed to be money leftover... so they can pay for large infrastructure projects without enormous spikes in taxes in the years those projects need to be done. At least, that's how I understand the surpluses to work from what I've read.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Jonrox wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 1:05 pm
voice of reason wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 12:52 pm

There is supposed to be money leftover... so they can pay for large infrastructure projects without enormous spikes in taxes in the years those projects need to be done. At least, that's how I understand the surpluses to work from what I've read.
if they have left over money they took too much money from the tax payer . you dont pay taxes so the city can have a bank account full of money just so you can give them more money next year
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

voice of reason wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 1:24 pm
Jonrox wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 1:05 pm
if they have left over money they took too much money from the tax payer . you dont pay taxes so the city can have a bank account full of money just so you can give them more money next year
Yes... you do pay taxes so they can build up the money needed to pay for large infrastructure projects down the road.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Jonrox wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 2:30 pm
voice of reason wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 1:24 pm

Yes... you do pay taxes so they can build up the money needed to pay for large infrastructure projects down the road.
so how much of your money do you feel the government is entitled to?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

voice of reason wrote: Jan 18th, 2023, 9:11 am
Jonrox wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 2:30 pm
so how much of your money do you feel the government is entitled to?
Enough to run the city and pay for large infrastructure projects.

Return to “Central Okanagan”