Re: Temporary structures/Sea Cans in Kelowna

Post by alanjh595 »

soupy wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 9:58 am
soupy wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 9:55 am
Lets just go right to the source here.
https://www.kelowna.ca/sites/files/1/do ... ilding.pdf
And another for Steel storage containers:
https://www.kelowna.ca/sites/files/1/do ... lletin.pdf
Thanks for that. As it applies only to COF land, they can be used on a RDCO property.
Bring back the LIKE button.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

SAo for Kelowna at least, the determining factor is footprint, 10 square meters before a permit is required. No mention of “temporary” as a factor.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

fluffy wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 10:39 am SAo for Kelowna at least, the determining factor is footprint, 10 square meters before a permit is required. No mention of “temporary” as a factor.
For the Steel Storage containers it does clearly note that "temporary" is no longer than 6 months.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

soupy wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 10:55 am For the Steel Storage containers it does clearly note that "temporary" is no longer than 6 months.
Sorry, I didn’t see the second post. Now, if the picture were taken outside the City of Kelowna, would the rules be the same ? There is often a little more tolerance for “creative construction” in rural settings.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

fluffy wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 11:28 am
soupy wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 10:55 am For the Steel Storage containers it does clearly note that "temporary" is no longer than 6 months.
Sorry, I didn’t see the second post. Now, if the picture were taken outside the City of Kelowna, would the rules be the same ? There is often a little more tolerance for “creative construction” in rural settings.
Yep. The OP said the pictures were from Kelowna.
Without knowing the exact location I don't know if it would fall under CoK, or perhaps a Regional District.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

normaM wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 9:38 am Maybe some think easier to ask forgiveness than permission
If was to be reported I would guess they would apply for a variance

The City is pretty fickle what they will end up allowing.
People also do not realize in most cases the City doesn't come knocking without a complaint. I have a neighbor who has a sea can on their driveway. It has been there for months.

I would bet if one call is made it will be put on notice, other then that it will sit.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Ken7 wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 10:49 am
normaM wrote: Jan 19th, 2023, 9:38 am Maybe some think easier to ask forgiveness than permission

People also do not realize in most cases the City doesn't come knocking without a complaint. I have a neighbor who has a sea can on their driveway. It has been there for months.

I would bet if one call is made it will be put on notice, other then that it will sit.
Quite right all bylaw enforcement is complaint driven. I had a neighbor before I moved, who has a sea can that has been in place for over fifteen years. It sits in his backyard and is almost completely hidden by landscaping.

I wouldn't want to see one permanently placed in the front yard of a home, but discreetly placed in the back yard who cares.

If it's purely the look that's found distasteful, maybe they could be covered in siding of some sort, problem solved.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Ken7 wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 10:49 am

I would bet if one call is made it will be put on notice, other then that it will sit
I had a neighbour at an hold place who used to think the street parking in front of his house belonged specifically just to him.
A friend visited, parked on the street in front of said house and the neighbour actually piled a bunch of snow on the hood of the car because my friend was in "his spot".
Well, the neighbour didn't realize street parking is 24 hours only, and he had a pickup truck that hadn't moved in about 3 months on the street.
Within 36 hours his pickup was being towed away and I joyfully watched him plead his case from the window. Thanks Bylaw!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

If it's purely the look that's found distasteful, maybe they could be covered in siding of some sort, problem solved.

what if it was painted by some talented "tagger" on a commission basis, that painted it to match the surrounding background?
eg: forest/trees/stream....etc.

I don't mean the military type camouflage.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

That's certainly another option. Also they aren't all the beat up rusty colored cans the mind tends to conjure up, given some look like new and are white.

I have nothing against the use of the things, particularly in a time period where theft is rampant, just as long as they aren't in the front of the home devaluing the neighborhood. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and it's not as though those cheap tin, or plastic, garden sheds are capable of securing anything.

There always seems to be that person, who sees nothing wrong with parking junk vehicles in the front yard, and would have no qualms about adding a sea can. The type of joker who ruins things for everyone else.

It's just an example of where bylaws, rather than outright banning something, as they often tend to do, should list options for how something can be made acceptable.

Then again I've always leaned toward the live and let live philosophy, as opposed to the polar opposites, who seem to get enjoyment from being full time Karens, sticking their nose in all places they aren't wanted, as a form of personal amusement.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 2:49 pm That's certainly another option. Also they aren't all the beat up rusty colored cans the mind tends to conjure up, given some look like new and are white.

I have nothing against the use of the things, particularly in a time period where theft is rampant, just as long as they aren't in the front of the home devaluing the neighborhood.

There always seems to be that person, who sees nothing wrong with parking junk vehicles in the front yard, and would have no qualms about adding a sea can. The type of joker who ruins things for everyone else.

It's just an example of where bylaws, rather than outright banning something, as they often tend to do, should lists options for how something can be made acceptable.

Then again I've always leaned toward the live and let live philosophy, as opposed to the polar opposites, who seem to get enjoyment from being full time Karens, sticking their nose in all places they aren't wanted, as a form of personal amusement.
Maybe if those that have junk cars were to park them inside a seacan that has been made visually conducive to the area?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 2:28 pm If it's purely the look that's found distasteful, maybe they could be covered in siding of some sort, problem solved.

what if it was painted by some talented "tagger" on a commission basis, that painted it to match the surrounding background?

There is also a By-law which I don't agree with is shed size. Again it is possibly 8x8 foot. Too me that is four feet short of what I'd like to build on a concrete slab.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Ken7 wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 3:04 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 2:28 pm If it's purely the look that's found distasteful, maybe they could be covered in siding of some sort, problem solved.

There is also a By-law which I don't agree with is shed size. Again it is possibly 8x8 foot. Too me that is four feet short of what I'd like to build on a concrete slab.
:up: Yes with you on that point also.

8x8 foot isn't much, once you consider putting a small riding mower, wheelbarrow, and assorted garden tools into it, and then have patio furniture cushions and such, that need a place for the winter.

Then there are those who like the idea of she sheds to use as a quiet space, or office, and I don't know what the regulations are for something like that if it's even allowed here.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 3:06 pm :up: Yes with you on that point also.

8x8 foot isn't much, once you consider putting a small riding mower, wheelbarrow, and assorted garden tools into it, and then have patio furniture cushions and such, that need a place for the winter.

Then there are those who like the idea of she sheds to use as a quiet space, or office, and I don't know what the regulations are for something like that if it's even allowed here.
I believe technically the limit is 10 square meters which comes out to 107sqft. You could build a 10x10 structure. I agree it's still on the small side. My shed is 8'x15' (120sqft) - don't tell bylaw :up:

Return to “Central Okanagan”