They fought for our freedom

Blast

Re: They fought for our freedom

Post by Blast »

My Grandson just returned from a tour in Latvia.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Blast wrote: Jan 2nd, 2023, 9:12 am My Grandson just returned from a tour in Latvia.
Nice to have him home. A six month tour?
My nephew went over there just before Christmas.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Blast

Post by Blast »

Yes, six months. He is coming to visit next weekend.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Funny how life works. I arrived at the bank the other day and instead of meeting with a banking rep as was planned I was told to go stand in the long line waiting for the tellers. So I am fuming away about all the time I am wasting in this stupid teller line up when I could be just about anywhere else, when I hear a voice behind me. I turn around and it's an elderly gentleman. He asks if I can move up a bit so he can lean on a table to write out a cheque while we are in line, so I of course do that. Then he says "I'm 97 you know". And I was shocked. I don't know a lot of 97 year old people, and he sure didn't look 97 years old.

So being a war buff I ask him "were you in World War 2" and he said "I was. I fought all the way from Juno Beach on D-day through Holland and finally into Germany, right to the end of the war." I was pretty taken aback. How many people who were on Juno Beach on June 6, 1944 are still alive today? Not many. And here I am, talking to a guy in line at the bank who was there! In Kelowna. In 2023! We had a good chat, and I showed him some pictures of Juno Beach on my phone that I took while I was there a few years ago (posted in this thread). He pointed at a few spots on the beach in the pictures that I showed him where he remembered some of his buddies getting hit. He also remembered the house on Juno that I showed him that is still standing to this day, festooned at that time with Canadian flags given it was the 75th anniversary of D-Day. I also showed him pictures of the really nice museum that Canada has built there on Juno beach. He said "one day everyone will forget what we did" and I told him "hopefully not for a long time yet".

He said that he was 16 years old when he joined up and he was 17 years old when he hit the beach on Juno. He said a lot of his fellow soldiers were 17 and 18 years old in his group. They went in right behind the Regina Rifles, so from my research he would have been with the Winnipeg Rifles, though I forgot to ask him. He did say that he made it 10 miles inland on D-Day, which is consistent with the reports I have read about the Winnipegs' progress on the first day. His Battalion made it further inland than any other army of any other Allied nation on the first day. That's something to be proud of for sure. I actually went to the spot that the Winnipegs made it to on D-Day when I was in France, a village called "Creully". There are small graveyards of Canadian soldiers all around that area in the fields, so you know that the Canadians were there, fighting and dying all around that area.

I asked him if he had ever gone back, and he said no. And now it's too late, as his wife can't travel. He said that he just never wanted to go back to Juno, and I understand why. I told him that if he did go back, he shouldn't have to bring a passport. He said "why not?" and I said "well, you can tell the French customs guys that the last time you came to France you didn't need one, so why would you need one now?" He got a good laugh about that one.

I was leaving the bank when I realized that I didn't get his name. I ran back in and saw him still there, and I got his name. Wall Smith. I said "Wall?" and he said "yup, W-A-L-L". I shook his hand, and said it was an honour and a privilege to meet him. I sure would like to talk to him again, though I didn't get his contact info. I definitely am going to go to the November 11th services this year and see if I can find him. What an amazing experience, for me anyway.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Jan 24th, 2023, 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jan 24th, 2023, 3:28 pm Funny how life works...
..What an amazing experience, for me anyway.
:up:

...and all made possible by an annoying set of circumstances. I love it when that happens.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

sobrohusfat wrote: Jan 24th, 2023, 6:14 pm

...and all made possible by an annoying set of circumstances. I love it when that happens.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Excellent story, GB. Because you paid attention when he said he was 97, he gifted you with a terrific story
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

:up: :up:

Thanks for sharing that, GB!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jan 24th, 2023, 3:28 pm Funny how life works.
Nice.

We help out a 93yr old who was also involved in the War helping Jews get out of Germany.

He has some interesting stories but doesn't talk much about it.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jan 24th, 2023, 3:28 pm

I was leaving the bank when I realized that I didn't get his name. I ran back in and saw him still there, and I got his name. Wall Smith. I said "Wall?" and he said "yup, W-A-L-L". I shook his hand, and said it was an honour and a privilege to meet him. I sure would like to talk to him again, though I didn't get his contact info. I definitely am going to go to the November 11th services this year and see if I can find him. What an amazing experience, for me anyway.
Great story, thanks for sharing it!!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Awesome, TGB!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 25th, 2023, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Seriously?
Blast

Post by Blast »

There were two “W. Smith” , actually W.R.Smith, in The Royal Winnipeg Rifles during the Second World War. Records indicate neither landed on D-Day. The fellow you were speaking to could have been a member of many units. He could have been with the Canadian Scottish who landed with the RWpgRif.
The Royal Winnipeg Rifles did not land behind the Regina’s. Different Beaches, different landing times.
Picture1.png
Picture2.jpg

Air photo, taken just after the landing, assault craft are still on the beach. Beaches of A and B Coy, RWpgRif. Regina Rifles landed to the left of the river. Indication of where the Juno Beach Centre is now located. The Juno Beach Centre is Canada’s Second World War Museum and cultural centre located in Normandy, France. The Centre pays homage to the 45,000 Canadians who lost their lives during the War, of which 5,500 were killed during the Battle of Normandy and 381 on D-Day.

The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

The Royal Winnipeg Rifles landed at 7:49 at 'Mike Red' and 'Mike Green' beaches on the western edge of Courseulles. The Winnipeg Rifle's history titled The Little Black Devils describes the objective: "In the dunes were coastal fortifications, lines of concrete and steel pillboxes, big-gun emplacements, elaborate trench systems, underground chambers, hidden machine gun posts and gun batteries in the earth. Houses near the beach were fortified; guns on slopes beyond the beaches were sighted in on every approach to the beach and dunes, and stretching inland were numerous other positions and defence lines, hinged on fortified towns, villages and cities. Elaborate minefields had been laid and exits from the beaches covered by artillery, mortar and machine-gun fire."
'B' Company landed at the western edge of Courseulles where the bombardment had missed its targets. The Winnipegs' landing craft arrived well ahead of their Duplex Drive Floating Tanks and AVRE's (Armoured Vehicles, Royal Engineers) and came under heavy fire from one of the strong points even while they were still far offshore. The Royal Winnipeg Rifle War Diary grimly remarked: "The bombardment having failed to kill a single German or silence one weapon these companies had to storm their positions 'cold' and did so without hesitation".
But the Winnipegs did not hesitate. Holding their weapons aloft, the men waded into the sea. Many soldiers died the instant they waded into the chest-high water. The survivors raced across the sand and attacked the machine gun and mortar positions. When the DD tanks arrived, the main gun emplacements were knocked out with close range tank fire. 'B' Company took the beach defences, cleared the small harbour and drove a gap through the minefield. They advanced over a bridge onto the island in the River Seulles where they cleared the enemy. The machine gun and mortar positions gave up only when surrounded by infantry. Captain Phil Gower who was awarded the Military Cross set a powerful example of leadership and courage as he directed the clearing of the successive positions.
The Winnipegs 'B' Company, and the Royal Canadian Engineers 6th Field Company assault team working with them, had one of the highest beach casualties of the day. The company had lost almost three-quarters of its men. Their courageous company commander, Captain Gower, was left with only twenty-six men.
A pillbox on the west side of the Seulles River contained a 75 mm field gun and a very large anti-tank gun. A story of unimaginable courage took place near this pillbox. It concerned Corporal 'Bull' Klos. Royal Winnipeg Rifles history: "Rushing the enemy, 'B' Company encountered heavy enemy fire. Corporal Klos, badly shot in the stomach and legs while leaving the assault boat, made his way forward to an enemy machine-gun nest. He managed to kill two Nazis before he was mortally felled. His hands still gripped about the throat of his victim produced a chilling sight!"
'D' Company under the command of Major Lockie Fulton landed on the west of the enemy strong point. The company moved off the beach quickly and cleared a path through the minefield at La Vallette. Then they headed for Graye-sur-Mer and cleared the town of the Germans. They advanced further making good progress and some sections even approached Banville.
The reserve companies 'A' and 'C' landed, along with half of the Battalion Headquarters. The beaches were still under fire when they landed. For nearly two hours the Battalion Headquarters No. 22 wireless set was the target of much of this fire. While 'D' Company cleared Graye-sur-Mer, the reserve companies passed through their positions. 'A' Company (Major Fred Hodge) moved inland towards Ste.Croix-sur-Mer where it came under fire by a battery of eight machine guns. Ste.Croix-sur-Mer was strongly defended by a company of the 716th Division. The Winnipegs were in danger of being pushed back and called for reinforcements from the Canadian Scottish regiment.
'C' Company (Major Jimmy Jones) made its way towards Banville. They were pinned down by 3 machine guns on commanding ground. Assistance was asked from the 6th Armoured Regiment, which with "cool disregard" of mines and anti-tank guns beat down the opposition and permitted the advance to continue. Hard fighting developed but 'C' and 'D' Companies managed to take the village of Banville. The first phase of the operation had been completed.
The Battalion advanced and by 1700 hours was consolidated in and around the village of Creully. Snipers and small groups were the sole resistance during the advance on the village. Lt. Jack Mitchell of 'D' Company with a section of rifleman silenced an enemy machine-gun nest along the bridge near Creully.
The Winnipegs were supported by the tanks of the 1st Hussar's and the Winnipegs' commanding officer later paid tribute to their "gallantry, skill and cool daring" in coming to the assistance of his battalion "time and again throughout D-Day, without thought of their own safety or state of fatigue."
Cliff Chadderton, Royal Winnipeg Rifles from his documentary Juno Beach to Caen: "Many of the Winnipeg's were what we called 'originals' who had joined the battalion back in 1940. They had been highly trained in the use of rifles and automatic weapons, but also they were experts with mortars, anti-tank guns, and even in directing artillery fire from the rear. Still, this was their first battle experience. They saw friends with whom they had lived in the barracks for years cut to pieces by vicious enemy gun fire. Still they found the strength to carry on and most of all - there was the thought in the back of their minds that battle-hardened Germans could counter-attack at any time. By six o'clock on the evening of D-Day, the Winnipegs had gone further inland than most of the planners thought possible. With evening fast approaching, the weary battalion set about digging in just south of Creully. Fortunately, five officers and seventy-eight other ranks arrived from the reinforcement unit that very evening."

Regina Rifles
The Regina Rifles landed on the Nan Green sector at Courseulles, east of the river. With one 75mm gun, one 88mm, three 50mm anti-tank guns, twelve machine gun pillboxes and two 50mm mortars plus an additional two 75mm guns on the flanks, Courseulles was the most heavily fortified position of the Anglo-Canadian beaches. 'A' Company landed at 8:05, followed by 'B' Company at 8:15, 'C' Company at 8:35 and 'D' Company at 8:55.
Upon landing 'A' Company was under immediate attack by the German artillery and machine guns. The preliminary bombardment had failed to knock out many German defensive positions and the near invulnerable pill-boxes could be destroyed only by direct hits through their observation slits. Fortunately fourteen DD tanks of the 1st Hussars made it ashore ahead of the infantry and engaged the guns. Working in tandem, the tanks and infantry succeeded in fighting their way off the beach. The DD tanks knocked out the 88mm, 75mm and 50mm guns with direct hits, but not before the 75mm had fired 200 rounds at the Canadians. In a left flanking movement the Reginas succeeded in breaking through the defences.
Stewart Mein from a history of the Reginas titled Up the Johns: "The men of 'A' Company lay huddled on the beach, exposed to the withering fire directed at them. They could go no farther. However, Lieutenant Bill Grayson made a mad dash for the emplacement. The rear man, on seeing Grayson, threw a 'potato masher' grenade at him, which landed between his legs. Cooly, Grayson reached down and threw the grenade back at the German. Grayson then followed the Germans into a trench which zigzagged to an underground area. Out came 35 men whom he promptly took prisoner. With the 88mm gun out of action, 'A' Company was able to push on into the town. For his daring action, Grayson was later awarded the Military Cross."
Major Gordon Baird described the landing in the book The Regina Rifle Regiment 1939-1945: "So far, not a shot has been fired from the defenders on the beach. Will it be a push-over? We soon have the answer in the form of machine-gun fire and shells from pillboxes which are apparently still open for business despite the terrific pounding they have taken. The LCA's of the leading companies and the tanks of the 1st Hussars are working into the beaches now. H-hour has arrived. For the purposes of the assault, Courseulles had been divided into blocks numbered one to twelve. Each was to be cleared by a designated company. Careful study of enlarged air photos showing the sites of enemy strong points had made the ground itself easily recognizable. Every foot of the town was known before it was entered."
'B' Company landed on the left and engaged the pillboxes positioned along the promenade. With good support from the DD tanks they got off the beach quickly and began clearing the town of Courseulles. AVRE's opened up beach exits and the tanks moved into town to provide help to the infantry. In house-to-house combat, 'B' Company cleared blocks 2, 3, 4 and 12. 'A' company cleared blocks 5, 6, and 7 but had to return to block 1 where the Germans had returned by tunnels and trenches to reoccupy their guns. The Reginas began the disheartening task of clearing the gun position again.
When the reserve companies came ashore, 'C' company, led by Major Stu Tubb, touched down without mishap, moved quickly into Courseulles and proceeded to clear blocks 8 through 11. 'D' company, commanded by Major Jack Love, lost two craft by mines. Heavy casualties resulted including the company commander who was killed. The remainder of 'D' company, reduced to forty-nine men, re-organized and set out as planned to Reviers, two miles inland, to seize the bridges over the Mue River. They arrived there at 11:00.
Major Baird: "Supporting arms had done a wonderful job. Baker squadron, 6th Canadian Armoured Regiment (First Hussars), had given invaluable aid. Guns of the 13th Field Regiment had proved excellent support in the initial phases of the landing. With us too were elements of the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (the support battalion), reconnaissance groups from the 17th Duke of York's Royal Canadian Hussars, and 3rd Anti-tank Regiment."
As the companies overcame resistance in their areas, they pushed inland to the village of Reviers. 'C' Company moved up to Reviers and Battalion Headquarter was established there at 1500 hours. 'B' and 'A' companies arrived next. The battalion rested there and awaited orders to move on. The Reginas began to advance southward from Reviers at about 1700 hours and by 2000 hours both Fontaine-Henry and Le Fresne-Camilly were in their hands. Major Baird described the advance: "It was night: the John's were digging in the fields of Normandy - on D-Day and in enemy-held territory. We were on our own now. But the plan of the High Command had been carried out - to assault and break through, exploiting rapidly inland. This meant taking the chance of being cut off. And we were on our intermediate objective as ordered."
The Regina's had secured their D-Day objective in a day of hard bitter fighting, and controlled all of Courseulles and its small but significant port at the mouth of the Seulles River.

B Coy The Royal Winnipeg Rifles Assault
"B" Coy mission, with one Platoon of "C" Coy, and one Section of regimental Pioneers, plus one and one-half sections No. 6 Field Coy, Royal Canadian Engineers, was to assault and captured Red Beach of Mike Sector at Courseulles-sur-Mer. The 150 man “B” Coy, commanded by Capt Phil Gower, task was to assault three strong points and twelve MG emplacements. The Coy in their LCAs had come under heavy machine gun (MG), artillery and mortar fire 700 yards from shore, and many men were hit while still in the water or even before they left their LCA's. Closer to shore, enemy fire from snipers and MGs began to rip into the LCAs. When a LCA halted, the men jumped off the ramp into chest-high water and began to wade ashore on an open beach at low tide under heavy fire. It was now 0749 in the morning. By the time Gower and his men finally fought their way through the deadly maze of bunkers, trenches and barbed wire, B Coy mustered only the Coy Comd and 26 men fit for duty: 80 per cent of the Coy, 125 men, had become casualties within a few hours. The Battle of Normandy was just beginning as the Coy fought its way inland.
Capt Gower was gazetted the Military Cross: “”Eye-witnesses of his command stated that throughout this action and in spite of having lost his helmet during the landing, Captain Gower stood upright on the beach, coolly directing the employment of his sub-units and by his personal example of bravery, skill and daring reduced the defences one by one until the beach defences were overcome. Had it not been for this officer's courage and outstanding devotion to duty in the face of tremendous odds, the landing and advance inland of the remainder of the Battalion would have been seriously hampered”.
He was captured on the afternoon of Thursday 8 June when the understrength RWpgRif was overrun by the 2nd Bn, 26 SS Panzer Grenadier Regt, (12th SS Panzer Division “Hitler Youth”) at Putot-en-Bessin. Fifty-eight Rifleman were subsequently murdered by the SS.
Major Philip Gower died on 9 December 1956, while returning from Korea when his aircraft crashed into a mountain.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

^^^
Thanks for the read Blast.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Blast wrote: Jan 30th, 2023, 10:48 am There were two “W. Smith” , actually W.R.Smith, in The Royal Winnipeg Rifles during the Second World War. Records indicate neither landed on D-Day. The fellow you were speaking to could have been a member of many units. He could have been with the Canadian Scottish who landed with the RWpgRif.
Yeah, I should have asked him who he was with, that was on me, I was just speculating.
The Royal Winnipeg Rifles did not land behind the Regina’s. Different Beaches, different landing times.
His exact statement was "we landed after the Saskatchewan boys" so that could mean a lot of things. I should have been more clear and written his exact quote instead of paraphrasing. My bad.

I hope I see him (Wall) again!

Return to “Canada”